Eduardo the Samurai Toaster Coming to WiiWare Next Monday

Posted by Corbie Dillard

It's almost time for a little samurai toaster action!

Good news for all you samurai toaster fans out there. Daniel Coleman from Semnat Studios has just informed us that their first WiiWare title, Eduardo the Samurai Toaster is set to hit the North American WiiWare service on Monday, June 15th for 800 Wii Points.

Below is a snippet taken directly from the official press release along with the official game play trailer for the game. And don't forget to check out our interview with Daniel from Semnat Studios we did back in January.

Semnat Studios is elated to be able to announce that Eduardo the Samurai Toaster is being prepared for launch on WiiWare™ in North America on June 15th, 2009 for a mere 800 Wii Points™. That’s like the price of lunch. For the price of lunch you could own an awesome single-or-cooperative sidescrolling action game. Support the little guy!

With visuals drawn and scanned in from several different art mediums such as pen & ink, acrylic paint and charcoal, Eduardo sports an untraditional aesthetic design for a videogame. Jump, shoot, whip, drive, fly and throw your way through hordes of Peking Opera pastries, spear toting carrots, robotic mangos, and more. Play with friends as you learn to cooperate effectively, or be annoying by throwing each other around the screen and attacking one another.

FEATURES:

• Drop in co-op play for up to four players.
  • Ride scooters equipped with laser-blasters and fly around in rocket packs in single player or co-op.
  • Use 5 different pastry pickups to upgrade your firepower.
  • Battle enemies through 13 unique levels.
  • Several different difficulty options to choose from, allowing players to pick their desired level of challenge.

We'll have more information on Eduardo the Samurai Toaster as it becomes available, as well as a full review of the game when it hits the WiiWare service next week.

[via youtube.com]

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Yeah, $8 is a pretty average price for WiiWare games (except for Square-Enix... XP).

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

I think it's fairly priced. So far from what I seen of the game, it looks like a very solid run'n gun action game. I might give this one a download.

y2josh

y2josh said:

OH YEAH! No "Meh" from me on this one. There should be more side scrolling goodness on WW.

KoKoO_Psy

KoKoO_Psy said:

I am exited. I love the look, and I can only hope it plays well.
Don't disappoint me Semnat. I would cry. :(

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

Sweet, plus only 800 points. Best part is, we can all just buy a 2000 point card, then buy S&S and this.

Oh, and please tell me there will be Ninja Pancakes :)

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

Shoot, I already need to buy Mighty Flip Champs, S&S, and Mario vs dk. And I need to add this to the list. At this rate, Imma go broke.

Semnat_Daniel

Semnat_Daniel said:

Ninja Pancakes, no dice I'm afraid. But if people want a sequel who knows!

I'll be looking forward to hearing feedback on the game. Hopefully it's mostly positive with some criticism to help us make better games. We'll see!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I like the visual style of the game. Can't wait to give it a go.

Ferret75

Ferret75 said:

After two and a half years, my Wii finally decides it needs to be sent in for repair and that's when all these awesome announced weeks take place. x.x

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Wow! Didn't hear about this at all...more good WiiWare!

allow Gamecube controller please!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Wow, this is great news! I really liked the gameplay video I saw on the Nintendo Channel and only 800 points makes it very download-worthy!

Haze4peace

Haze4peace said:

Yep, I think it looks like an adult swim cartoon too. I really dig the visual style, can't wait to give it a spin and see how it plays.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

This one has totally slipped off my radar... But I'm sure it could be good, I'll definitely consider it once/if it gets to this side of the Atlantic.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Yeah, this one I've been waiting for, it looks good, I'll save my points for next week and wait for the review; may the reviewers decide I should get it? :P.

accc

accc said:

I'll be downloading Rainbow Islands Towering Adventure next week, but if the Samurai Toaster game is well-received I'll be sure to check it out as well!

EdEN

EdEN said:

Wiiware has really matured a lot in the last few months and we already have several great games that are exclusive to the service. All points to DSiware following on it's footsteps preeetty fast since Mario vs DK

Looking forward to Eduardo on next monday. In the meantime, everyone download Swords & Soldiers and Lit.

SpookyGirl

SpookyGirl said:

Oooh this does look very cute! I might have to wait on it a bit though, already spent too much on WiiWare/VC this month... lol..

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

does a samurai toaster make samurai toast? cause some samurai toast sounds good about now! :D

Joewoof

Joewoof said:

Thirteen levels? Sounds good. I hope it's all good fun all the way through. :D

Virus

Virus said:

This better as heck be coming next Monday and better as heck be good. This game has excited me more than practically any other WiiWare game, and if it bombs, well gee, that'll suck. I can't put it any other way. Here's to hoping and anticipating.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

13 levels may sound good on paper but I just hope there's enough length, variety and challenge for it to be a great WiiWare title that we're all hoping it to be. I'd hate to see it turn out like Gyrostarr! :(

odd69

odd69 said:

i'm torn between this or swords and soldiers. i'll see what the nintendo life players think. on the other hand, swords and soldiers is very unique.

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

looks cool. gameplay reminds me of metal slug which is a good thing. 800 points is a good price too. some type of online or leaderboard support would have been nice but still seems like it will be a fun game

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Looks to be a unique little run'n'gun game on WiiWare and at 800 points, I'll certainly give it the support it hopefully deserves. The more unique games like this we can get on WiiWare, the better.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Blimey, so much for a slow summer, I wanted some time to catch up on a few games!

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

The gameplay looks similar to Gunstar Heroes. I'm definitely getting this. Eduardo the Samurai Toaster looks like "fun on a bun"! (Futurama quote, no pun intended.)

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

@Mayhem: I know! This summer's gonna be great especially for WiiWare. There's just so much to look forward to and even on the Wii/DS front as well. Needless to say I'm really excited.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Well, I guess Cave Story probably isn't coming out this Monday then. That's too bad.

ALDAWGZ

ALDAWGZ said:

awesome i might take off of work on mon 2 play all day wiiware has been awesome the past couple of weeks

Crazed

Crazed said:

S&S AND Eduardo in the same month?!?! This is the best month of wiiware ever (imo)!

Semnat_Daniel

Semnat_Daniel said:

For all of you non-North American residents: We're working on getting it out there. The problem is the cost. PEGI is now relatively cheap, but there are at least two other very expensive ratings we have to get for a European release (which is sooooo dumb. come on, EU!), plus translations in several languages for the manual and such. It actually almost doubles the budget for our game. If we make enough dough from Eduardo in these two weeks of June we'll be able to afford all of this much quicker.

Believe me, I understand the woes of being a European gamer sometimes. I lived in Croatia for a number of years and had like three games total for my N64 since they were so expensive (even at the Media Markt in Austria). I played the heck out of Banjo and Goldeneye, I'll tell you that much... And HOPEFULLY we can get the price to match the NA one. Nothing is more annoying than the $1 = €1 thing videogame companies do.

MuljoStpho

MuljoStpho said:

First Swords & Soldiers, now this... The interesting looking games are coming out while my system is broken!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Semnat Daniel: Indeed, especially since Wii Sports Resort is retailing for $50 in the US, and £50 here in the UK... :'(

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

@Semnat: Can't you just go for the PEGI rating and completely sidestep the USK, BBFC, OFLC or whichever organization is the culprit here? I atleast know that that's happened with the OFLC which is why some of the games that we got didn't get released down under. Can't you just release it in the rest of Europe first and deal with Germany (and possibly UK too, not sure if BBFC is mandatory) at some later date? I know they are big markets, but I'm pretty sure the rest of Europe is bigger and PEGI's cheap then that might be worth it. I don't know, maybe that just ain't possible since you so seamlessly can switch region between different European countries...

Objection

Objection said:

I look forward to this, even though I just spent my points on S&S. Might get this with FFIV, depending on how fast I finish the games I'm working on.

Semnat_Daniel

Semnat_Daniel said:

Djungelurban - I'm not sure we can just go for one rating at a time. I believe it's everything at once, everything under NOE. But we're in the process of getting it done, it's just a matter of when we can afford to pay for everything. We might set up a public wiki to get the multiple translations worked on like some other developers have done. That would certainly bring down some costs.

Wiiloveit- Crazy, ain't it? 250 US for PSP Go, 250 Euro for it... yikes. All of the game companies do this. But at least it's not as bad as it used to be now that the dollar is weaker, hah.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

@Djungelurban - if I remember reading correctly, the UK makes up almost half of Europe's entire videogame sales, so it's pretty much territory #1 to release in. So you have to get it rated by the BBFC. Having said that, I do know there is a serious push to try and get PEGI as the standard here, so it might make things easier if that comes to fruition.

Not that it makes much difference to me anyhows as I import 99% of my games...

Aardvark_Soup

Aardvark_Soup said:

Awesome! I can't wait for this title. Unfortunately I'll have to delete some other games before I can play it because I haven't got a SD-card.

@ above: I doubt the UK is good for half of the European game sales, since only 12% of the Europeans comes from there.