Designer Says Metroid: Other M Not As Violent As It Seems

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Concedes the nature of trailers is to show off the 'splody action.

Team Ninja, known for their not-so-stealthy Ninja Gaiden series and huge boobs, are the newest developer to take on the Metroid saga. The unveil trailer at E3 looked, well, kinda un-Metroid-y in that it was so action-packed, like shoving her beam canon down a baddie's mouth.

During an E3 interview with G4, Metroid: Other M Team Ninja designer Yusuke Hayashi was keen to point out that the game is still totally Metroid, regardless of how that reel may have come across.

First of all, it's not my intent to create a Ninja Gaiden version for Metroid with Other M. Our goal is definitely to use our know-how to our advantage in developing something that is still distinctly Metroid, but has all those qualities that would make it even better than what people would expect. A trailer being a trailer, it's going to have the sequences in it that are more action-packed, maybe a little more violent, but it's not going to be all of this game. I'm going to have a version that you guys can actually get your hands on fairly soon.

Sounds like previews are incoming in the near future where we can get a solid idea of how the game works. In the meantime, let's all watch the trailer again.

Direct link

[via g4tv.com]

VGM

VGM said:

I would'nt expect it to be very violent as AlexSays look who's publishing the game.

Objection

Objection said:

I don't care what its rated, though I saw nothing above Teen levels. It's Metroid, Nintendo, and Team Ninja. It'll be action-packed and refreshingly different at the same time.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Totally knew it. Since when do you advertise a game by showing exploration? Watching exploration is boring. Watching action is fun.

@BMF+JOE: Are caps really that necessary?

Terra

Terra said:

I honestly didn't think it looked that violent myself, no worse than what we saw in Prime.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

I loved seeing the trailer for the first time.

At first I saw the water and I thought Zelda, then I saw the clouds and thought Kid Icarus, then I saw the space and asteroids and thought Star Fox.

Then I recognized it was Metroid and I was like "Woah!" and almost dropped my yogurt.

It was a very exciting time.

Noire

Noire said:

Well, crap. The only reason I have a Wii is so I can buy incredibly over-the-top gory video games with lotsa blood. I'm very dissapointed at this, and can only hope in the future that Nintendo gives me a Zelda game where Link wields a chainsaw.

Just kidding... It's good the game won't be as concerned with action as the trailer suggests. A Metroid without exploration is not a Metroid.

Kidpit

Kidpit said:

@AlexSays: Strange. When I saw the space and the asteroids, I thought it was a new Ice Climber game. I mean how did you get Star Fox out of a scene in space, it just screams little Eskimos hitting polar bears in shorts with a hammer :P

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Wow gamers complaining a game is too violent. I for one believe it is good either way for Metroid, I mean Samus must have to violently kill at least one enemy, especially that prick Ridley.

Terra

Terra said:

I was thinking Star Fox at first when i saw the trailer. Kid Icarus also popped into my head.

While I'm at it, I've heard a rumor somewhere that it's not actually Factor 5 doing Kid Icarus but Retro studios. It'd be interesting if it turned out to be true

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

@irken004

Yeah, I know! I've watched the trailer like 5 times and I still have no idea who that guy is. I just don't remember him.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Am I the only person who couldn't peg it as being part of any series until it announced itself as Metroid? I almost thought it was a new IP. Silly me... :P
Just kidding. This game is gonna be awesome. :D

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

^ Yeah i tought it was a new ip....
...until Adam said "Any Objections, Lady?"
Metroid being my favorite nintendo franchise i got an fangasm right there O_O

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

Looks like Metroid to me. Yeah, Mr. Punguy same. Also I think Mr. Remember Me?! Is that guy you find eaten alive in Super Metroid.

Adam

Adam said:

In the meantime, let's all watch the trailer again.
Don't mind if I do.

@ Nintendo Naut
Ah! Good thinking. I never would have remembered that on my own. I'm just glad there is now a better theory than his being a redesigned Houston from the awful Nintendo Power comics. :D

Modern_Legend

Modern_Legend said:

I love that gun in the mouth part at 1:12 to like 1:15, man who cares, action is always a great thing!!!! I hope they cut out scans and all that b.s. that i hate doing.

Machu

Machu said:

@DaDun - Scanning rocks ffs, that's what separates it from all the mindless shooters, grrr, but then I'm a completionist, not a casual. :)

Violence, how can it be violent when you are producing green, blue, maybe orange goo? Either way she's gonna kick some serious alien butt. Twice!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Many gamers aren't that bright to know a new Metroid game when it is announce. Just because the game was developed by Team Ninja doesn't mean it would had Ninja Gaiden style gameplay, Super Metroid was developed by Intelligent Systems on the Super NES and it doesn't even come as close to having Famicom Wars or Fire Emblem's gameplay.

Crazed

Crazed said:

The first time I saw this trailer, I thought it was Metroid, but I guess the headline gave the suspense away :p. Anyway, this looks like the most interesting Metroid I've seen in a long time. I really liked Metroid Fusion (GBA), but I never got into the first-person Metroid counsle games. Hopefully I get the best of both worlds with Other M (great action that doesn't let up combined with amazing graphics.)

rustythekid

rustythekid said:

After MadWorld nothing else is violent.
It's metroid, what do you expect, chainsaws and lots of blood?