Rampant Speculation: IGN Teases New 'Hardcore' Title

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

It's blurry, but it's apparently 'mature'

Here's one to keep you up at night:

Matt Casamassina over at IGN has teased on his blog of a new, exclusive, ground-up Wii game with a very blurry picture.

I'm not a photographic scientist or anything -- not sure the profession even exists, and if not, it should -- but at the very least, there seems to be a lot of red in that blurred-out picture. And you know what fuzzy red means, right? Yep -- teh maturez.

To me, it looks like two beasties squaring off with some kind of lightning sword.

Whatcha think?

Untitled

UPDATE: Maybe this will put things into focus. How's that for kiddie? :D

Untitled

[via blogs.ign.com]

MickEiA

MickEiA said:

It looks like two beasts squaring off

AUSTRALIA downloads today Pitfall The Mayan Adventure and Swords and Soldiers

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

• Ignoring first *
    What if they gave us a "Conker's Bad Fur Day" styled game in response to the complaining? I could never forgive them if they did that...
ajoshi

ajoshi said:

This looks some typical violent based game for the sake of it all. I like these kinds of games when they're done right (fun and playable), but I'm kind of tired of seeing these kinds of games as the de facto genre of this generation. If in fact this game is that kind of game. No idea actually, but it looks like there's some blood flying off the dude on the left.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I hope that's how the actual game looks. Really fuzzy so you can't really see anything. How's THAT for artsy?

All jokes aside, Matt isn't the most reliable source. I'd wait and see. And my call is a new Metroid.

greyelephant

greyelephant said:

Put your nose as close to your monitor as you can and then slowly pull your head back away from the monitor. The picture becomes crystal clear if you focus at the center of the page and do it correctly.

Man this looks amazing........

snicker, snicker, snicker..........

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

It does kinda look like Golden Axe.......if you close one eye.......then the other.....

@bbb: I see you're just as wise cracking here as you are on Neo :P

JustaGerm

JustaGerm said:

Corbie, was that hopeful speculation or sum'n? That would be amasin', my hopes are way up I'll kill myself if its not true.

Adam

Adam said:

An indiscernible, blurry picture makes IGN news? Is that really all they can give us?

Hazuki

Hazuki said:

its some woman with a sword staring down some inc. monster.

i wanna say Dynamic Slash?

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'm not sure if it's a woman. That bright red area behind her (or him) appears to be fire in the background.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

@Adam: It's a tease on Matt's blog, with promises to be revealed around E3. Didn't exactly set their front page ablaze.

Oh, and the screen was blurred by IGN, in case there was any confusion, so they have a real one somewhere.

pixelman

pixelman said:

ZOMAGADS Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce! I love you NL :D

Okay, now to read the article...

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Now to use photoshop to make it a little easier to make out.
arnold voice
I'll be ba cough cough
normal voice I'll be back.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Well, I tried photoshop, to no avail.

It looks like a monster game though. I wanna say Golden Axe, but it really could be anything. The left figure seems to be wearing a helm and raising an axe. His (or her) right arm also seems to be skeletal or wrapped in something.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

I believe it's "gawds", cirej.

The one thing I'm going to say is 100% for sure, is it's medieval and there's blood. It's not a new metroid, and definately not kid icarus. Does looks like it could be a fighter game ... I hate fighters ...

Amorous_Badger

Amorous_Badger said:

I'm not normally one to jump on the 'this looks rubbish' bus based on oe screenshot, but this looks RUBBISH.

I bet Club We Want Hardcore loves it though.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

HOLY HELL! It's that badass looking game from the same montage trailer where Punch Out!! was introduced! Maybe this means Sin & Punishment 2 and Cosmic Walker are on their way as well! X3

EDIT: Or at least it is if what Teppo claims is true... which I now seriously doubt.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

"And you know what fuzzy red means, right? Yep -- teh maturez."

Ugh, Matt from IGN is the most incompetent "journalist" in the world of gaming. Every word that comes out of his mouth reveals that he has to struggle to remain coherent with his two or three remaining neurons.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

i wanna say Dynamic Slash?

Was thinking that for a moment but the perspective doesn't match up, the smaller thing on the right does not seem to be the back of the woman you control in DS (it has giant enemies so only reaching up to the knees of the enemy wouldn't be strange). Of course more Dynamic Slash information would be nice but I doubt this is it.

Made me think Zeno Clash a bit, the eye glow on the thing on the left reminds me of Father-Mother.

Terra

Terra said:

I doubt it would be Castlevania. Something about the character holding the sword reminds me of Silent Hill in a strange way.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Speaking of "hardcore"...
Did someone at Nintendo Life pull the Burlesque news item? Geez, wasn't that scandalous. But hey, you be the boss.
Back on topic: Who else would love to see the in-game graphics actually be the watercolor-esque style of the cleaner pic? Like a darker Okami with decapitation. I think the over-emphasis on Gore for Gore's Sake is silly, too, just how I think the glut of FPS is waaaay repetitive and uninteresting, but something about this shot is compelling.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Nevermind -- saw the news item still on the home page. My mistake.
Also: That sword-carrying guy looks like the love-child of Baraka and Tusk, from Killer Instinct 2. KI3, pretty please?

Teppo_Holmqvist

Teppo_Holmqvist said:

@warioswoods "Ugh, Matt from IGN is the most incompetent "journalist" in the world of gaming."

So far as writing goes, certainly. But ironically he has also broke most exclusive stories in his business. It's just annoying to find the gem piles of poor writing.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

The colors just don't match Dynamic Slash, the blurry pic is too reddish. Unless they gave it a complete redesign, of course, but I doubt that.

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

looks like shat. just my honest opinion. i'm not really a sword type of person. would much rather have guns, or in DMC's case, guns and swords! XD

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

As far as Matt goes, he went downhill halfway through the Cube's life and hasn't really done a lot to want me to read his crap since, getting Mark Bozon and Lucas Thomas in didn't help matters, only made them worse.

This game looks crap.

Esposch

Esposch said:

OH MY GOD!!!!
A PICTURE OF SOMEONE HITTING SOMEONE ELSE WITH A SWORD!!!!!! I THINK I MIGHT ORGASM ALL OVER THE SCREEN!!!!!

(sarcasm if you didn't realise.)

Kidpit

Kidpit said:

Am I the only one you thinks Matt created the image himself, just for (as he himself would put it) "Teh Lawls"?

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I think this is is the unannounced Bathesda Wii game... E3 will tell if I'm right. _