Nintendo Rejects Intellivision Lives for DSiWare

Posted by Corbie Dillard

It seems Nintendo doesn't allow emulation on their WiiWare or DSiWare services.

After failing to find a publisher for his Intellivision Lives DS compilation, license holder Keith Robinson decided to submit the compilation to Nintendo for approval for a possible release on the DSiWare service. Unfortunately, Nintendo shot that idea down rather quickly. Mr. Robinson made the following statement regarding the reason he was given for the sudden rejection by Nintendo.

Nintendo made mention that in the policies for WiiWare and DSiWare development, the company does not allow games that run under emulation.

It would seem that Nintendo only allows the use of emulation on their Virtual Console service and certainly not anywhere on their WiiWare or DSiWare download services. It appears the only emulation the DSi system might eventually see is that of a DSi Virtual Console. Could this be an upcoming announcement for Nintendo at E3? We certainly hope so. But we would have still liked to see this cool Intellivision compilation on the DSiWare service.

[via gonintendo.com]

Caliko

Caliko said:

It would be funny if Nintendo added Intellivision to the Virtual Console and sold each game at 500 points a pop.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Well if they do, they'll have to go through Keith Robinson to do so, since he owns the rights to most of the games. :)

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Come on, the Intellivision is really old stuff. The games aren't comparable to the likes of NES, Commodore 64 and Master System. If it gets added on the Virtual Console, 400 points is the maximum for a game.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

DSi Virtual Console is surely a given...

I agree...a done deal. :)

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

isn't final fantasy iv the after years an emulation of a snes game on wiiware?

Gizmo

Gizmo said:

No, because Final Fantasy IV - The After Years was a new game made for mobile phones in Japan.

PopeReal

PopeReal said:

Intellivision has aged so poorly in my opinion. I couldn't see myself playing 5 minutes of it ever again.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

A bit of a shame as I'm thinking this sort of thing is becoming a harder sale at retail (reviews by IGN etc will be like "wah, why is this retail it should be WiiWhere - 2/10") though I guess Nintendo want to control emulation by having each ROM for 500 points while this sort of package may have been that for several titles.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

Nooo! Khaaaaaaan! (starts singing)"And so I play my.... Intelli-viiiision."(/singing)

Despite this setback, it would be incredible if the games were released via a DSi Virtual Console. At 200 points a game, requiring a keypad, and with a lower resolution than the DSi's screen, these games would be much better suited to the DSi console than the Wii. Let's hope this goes through in the future. Having games like Shark Shark, Astrosmash, Thin Ice, BurgerTime, Locomotion, Utopia, etc. to take on the go would be awesome! :)

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

We don't need these games on DSiWare, it's got enough good games already.

....Wait what?

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Well, the collection was released for the Gamecube in the USA, so NA-based Intellivison-loving Wii owners can still play it. I picked it up and ran it through HBC and I found the Intellivision an inferior experience to the 2600, so I'm not missing it myself, but clearly any collection of this nature will need to be a full disc/cart release to get on either platform.

RaviC

RaviC said:

An 'other' category in VC with collections of games would allow this to be put on the Virtual Console.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Well, that kinda shoots down the idea of extra non-Nintendo console games making a one-off appearance, although RaviC's idea is a possibility.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

@Sean Aaron
Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses the Homebrew Channel here! :D

But yeah, I've got this on Gamecube, and I have a real Intellivision in my closet with all the licensed games that couldn't be on it, like the TRON games. Ooh, I wanna go play Destructo-Discs again!

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@Sean - Emulated Intellivision never feels quite right. (It's the keypad/disc controller that messes everything up.) If you want a good first experience, you need to use a real system. Of course, the Inty isn't really an action system. It's games are more thoughtful, so that's something to keep in mind.

@SmaMan - Yay! Another Inty user! Do you have Dreadnaught? I had to pay an arm and a leg to get it, but it's quite possibly the best game on the system; bar none.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I found a brand new Intellivision system at an estate sale two years ago, still sealed. It smelled so nice when I took it out. My old Intellivision II had just about had it, so it was good luck to find this one.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

So, why did not they then propose to ask Nintendo to allow them to put up Intellivision games in the Virtual Console?

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

I FOUND AN ATARI 400 LAST WEEKEND!!!

Got Miner 2049er, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug.....this comment is definitely on topic :)...srsly cannot contain myself though; such classic gaming and surprisingly good 2d graphic effects...god bless uneducated people practically giving things away at garage sales.

Yeah. I got that lucky. :)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ Swerd_Murd - I have an Atari XEGS that I play Atari 400/800 games on all the time. Love that system. But an Atari 400 is a sweet item. I had an 800 years ago, but I finally sold it when we moved. I didn't need it and the Atari XEGS. Great find though!

AlphaNerd01

AlphaNerd01 said:

What the ffffff... seriously, Nintendo? Why? I haven't been this upset @ Nintendo in a while. I love the Intellivision.

metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight said:

If they are denying this they probably have a planned VC for the DSi because otherwise this policy seems pointless.

vherub

vherub said:

or allowing emulation could be an easier backdoor for hacking the dsi

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@MarkyVigoroth - The Intellivision had a keypad that was critical for most games. The DSi's touch screen is a better fit for that keypad than the Wii. (You can use the touchscreen to emulate the keypad, and the top screen to play.)

Also, VC never goes below $5 a game. But DSiWare does... ;)

Luigison

Luigison said:

Does this rule out GB/GBC titles? I hope not. I'd love to play Links Awakening and SMB DX again.

MrLopez

MrLopez said:

Yay! More crappy consoles added to the VC if this works out! The Master System was really a joy to play too!

MotleyG

MotleyG said:

Kinda goes against the whole concept of the VC doesn't it? The Intellivision should hold it's own place in VC, up against NES, TG16, and even C64. True without the disc and keypad controller that is truly needed to experience the original Intellivision things aren't quite the same, but still the Intellivision changed the game for home consoles in the early 80s and deserves it's place in VC. Let the buyers decide its' fate!