Nintendo Confirms Metroid Prime Trilogy For Wii

Posted by Damien McFerran

All three Metroid Prime titles in one lovely package - with multiplayer!

As you may be aware, Nintendo is releasing Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes as individual games for the Wii in Japan. However, rather than take this approach in the West, the company has confirmed that it intends to bundle all three titles together to create Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Metroid™ Prime 3: Corruption set a new standard for first-person motion controls in video games. Now it’s bringing those controls to the rest of the celebrated series, allowing players to experience the entire Metroid Prime story arc with the peerless precision of the Wii Remote™. Nintendo announces Metroid Prime Trilogy, a new premium three-game collection for the Wii™ console that bundles all three landmark Metroid Prime games onto one disc and revamps the first two installments with intuitive Wii Remote controls, wide-screen presentation and other enhancements. Metroid Prime Trilogy will be available exclusively for Wii on Aug. 24 at a suggested retail price of $49.99.

Each game maintains its original storyline and settings, but now Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes let players use their Wii Remote to aim with precision as heroine Samus Aran. Based on the breakthrough control system that debuted in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, these new Wii controls bring an entirely new level of immersion and freedom to these milestone games.

“Metroid Prime Trilogy puts the best first-person adventures all in one place, with a host of new additions that make these three timeless titles more engaging than ever,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “A great deal of care and detail has gone into Metroid Prime Trilogy, providing longtime fans with new ways to experience the games they love.”

All three games now reside on a single disc. Players can access the game they want from a unified main menu that ties together all three adventures. Through a new unlockables system, players can gain access to in-game rewards such as music and artwork by accomplishing objectives across all three games.

Metroid Prime Trilogy was developed by Retro Studios and Nintendo, the same developers that created the original games for the Nintendo GameCube™ and Wii systems.

Improvements across all three games include 16:9 widescreen, better visuals, unique collectible items and quicker load times. One of the biggest draws is four-player local death matches - sadly, there's no online multiplayer included. Naturally, the control scheme that was introduced for Metroid Prime 3 will be playable in the first two games, too.

The package is scheduled for release in North America on 24th August.

[via kotaku.com]

irken004

irken004 said:

hmm...i already have metroid prime 3, but i may buy this if it's $50 or less

hobbes

hobbes said:

Even though I already have 3, I will buy this. I would like to play 1 and 2 before finishing 3.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I had a feeling they were going to do this. Probably a smart move considering the second and third games didn't quite sell as well as the first. Still sucks that I'll have an extra copy of Metroid Prime 3 and as the last person had already stated, this better be $50 or less.

Edit: Oh and it looks like we won't have to deal with the "New Play Control" branding on this either, which is a huge plus in my opinion.

TourianTourist

TourianTourist said:

Wow, I hope/guess this will be released in Europe too, since they didn't announce Metroid Prime or Echoes for the "New Play Control" series.

Andor

Andor said:

Thanks god I haven't bought MP 3 yet!
This will be awesome, definitely a must buy!!!

Clint_Eastwood

Clint_Eastwood said:

This is a nice move from Nintendo, a bit like Super Mario All Stars on the SNES. Even though I have all three games, I'm tempted to pick this up, if only for the added Wii controls in 1+2.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

This is surprisingly generous of Nintendo! I'm impressed, and will be sure to pick this up! After all, I was already planning to get both NPC titles, and it sounds like this will be cheaper, but with one more game!

I'm a bit surprised that the original Kotaku article makes it clear that all three games are on one disc, though. Isn't that packing it kinda full? I didn't even think they'd all FIT on one disc!

With this announcement, I really wish they'd decided to bundle both NPC Pikmin games in anticipation of the third. As it stands, though, I'm STILL waiting for release confirmation for NPC Pikmin 2 in NA!

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

100% day one buy. I already have all three games but I'll gladly buy them again if they're released here in this form.

JTC-Pingas

JTC-Pingas said:

I bought Prime 3 back in December for $50. Now all 3 will be bundled? That means I would have an extra copy of Prime 3 I can sell. Sweet!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

On one disc? Fantastic. I wonder how split-screen multiplayer will feel with the much-improved controls.

Now, if only they'd next announce Pikmin 3 and a similar trilogy bundle on one disc...

Mainstreamguy

Mainstreamguy said:

that's awesome
I didn't own a Gamecube back then so I couldn't play MP1 & MP2
When I got the Wii there have already been some other good games out so I didn't buy MP3 yet

Pawtrick

Pawtrick said:

Will the multiplayer be the exact same that was in Prime 2? or will there be additions, such as more levels?

Adam

Adam said:

The whole "with multiplayer!" thing confuses me. Singling it out makes it seem like something new added in, but the article mentions no more of it, so I'm assuming this is just the same old MP2 multiplayer, in which case... of course it has multiplayer, why would they remove it?

The death match was fun for awhile, but a lot of people didn't like it. It is nowhere near as good as Hunters, unfortunately. They need to do something like Hunters for Wii where I won't get carpal tunnel from playing it. If deathmatch is indeed an improved multiplayer separate from MP2, that would rule.

This sort of all-in-one package makes a lot more sense to me, and I welcome it more than the normal NPC titles.

Machu

Machu said:

Three games I already own.
Three games I've finished on Normal and Hard.
Three games I know inside out.
Three games I shall be trading in anticipation of this awesome sounding trilogy pack.
I love Metroid Prime!
I love you Nintendo!!

Mama_Luigi

Mama_Luigi said:

This is great! : DDDD
I do have Metroid Prime 3 but i will get this too, i have only one question, will that unlockable thing in Metroid Prime 1 where you could play the original Metroid be in this version?
Maybe there isnt an answer now, but please answer me when you know it! : DDD

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Hmm all three on one-disc. Guess that means it is a dual layer disc unless they've done a optimisation to the Metroid Prime 3 side of things.

Still its one $50/€50/£40 disc (prove me wrong Nintendo) for three games I already own (havn't really played) and spent a total of £35 on. But I undertand this package clearly wasn't aimed at me :P A decent package if you've not yet played the games but possibly not the best value for money.

Machu

Machu said:

Why are people bitching about money. I've been throwing money at Nintendo for 15 yrs now, and I don't intend to stop. It's only money!

(and that's coming from some-one who was made redundant today) :(
this has managed to cheer me up a bit. :)

NinjaTendo

NinjaTendo said:

Time to trade in my GC copies of MP1 & 2 as well as MP3 for Wii before the value goes down at GameStop - maybe I'll get enough to buy the 3-pack! The only reason I've waited this long is that I needed solid proof that they would indeed be released in the U.S. I just hope that the version of MP3 packed in is identical to the original release so my existing game saves work on it.

pixelman

pixelman said:

IGN confirmed you can buy it for $49.99. And ALL THREE GAMES are on one disc. I am stoked. Odd coincidence though, I'm going out to buy Metroid Prime 3 today. :P

James

James said:

Sorry to hear about your redundancy, Machu. May your period of unemployment be short yet enjoyable!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Am I to understand that redundency means "downsizing?" Must be one of those British terms or something. Anyway, I sympathize with you also, Machu.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

Who said it's on one disc? Prime 1 and 2 are both less then 1.5GB anyway. A standard Wii disc is 4.7GB, so it could be possible to fit all three on one single layer disc.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I bet they don't actually bother to add faster turning options into MP3 though...because I bet they just assume it's already perfect...even though pretty much every review mentioned the turning could still be a bit faster, especially after MOH:H2 came out etc.

I hope they do add at least one faster turning option but I really don't expect...

Knux

Knux said:

Wow! This is awesome!
Too bad that I already own Metroid Prime 2 and 3. But I can always sell them...

Machu

Machu said:

cheers people, it happens.

I hereby pronounce next week... 'game week'

(gonna complete some of the dozen games I'm juggling)

Terra

Terra said:

I Own all of the games, so it would come down to price and new features for me. Even if they're good, i still doubt I'll get it but I've said that before on several occasions.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

They make the multiplayer sound like a new thing. Is there anything new added to it? Like more characters or just to make it more interesting at least?

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

I already have MP3 but i can sell it of course.
The only thing i ask is that the saves are compatible.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

Hmh. I might want to skip this even if it makes it to Europe, since I already bought MP1+2 preowned and MP3 new. I don't think the control update (and the extras) will be enough for me to justify buying the games again (unless they're discounted, and probably not even then).

Still, if this piece of news had come before I got the first two games, I probably would've waited for the collection to get here.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@Mama Luigi

So, you're asking for GBA -> Wii connectivity? Even though the original was a GC game, and linking certainly works on the Wii while in GC mode, that doesn't seem at all likely given the fact that this is a normal Wii game, and I don't know of any Wii title that has allowed such a thing, for obvious reasons.

I do wonder what will happen to that feature, although I'm guessing that it will just disappear silently. Or, the Metroid NES emulation part likely will, but what about unlocking the Fusion suit?

Maybe they should just placate the fans by having the Zero suit unlockable instead ;)

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Why are people bitching about money
Don't mistake me, I'm just saying why it isn't for me. Besides you'ld be crazy not to take one lot of £40 (or maybe £35) over two lots of £30 and then having to find Prime 3 on top.

Nintendo said it was on one disc :( Metroid Prime 3 weighs in at just over 4GB. It is possible by putting all threee games together certain assests can be reused to significantly decrase the filesize but the most likely thing is it'll be as if having three seperate games (for a smoother testing process).

Personally, I'm interested to see if exisiting Prime 3 saves will work or not.

Thats how it is in the Japanese version.

Popyman

Popyman said:

I wanted this to happen, but just with 1 and 2. But 3 also? So glad I rented it!

Mama_Luigi

Mama_Luigi said:

@warioswoods

"So, you're asking for GBA -> Wii connectivity?"
I don't know what i'm talking about, i've just heard that it's possible to play the original Metroid in Metroid Prime 1.
But i'm still hoping it's going to be on the Wii version.

Golgo

Golgo said:

Fantastic. Superb Value. Unusually un-exploitative of Nintendo, who tend to milk their heritage almost as much as Square-Enix, but I shall not grumble further...because this is just excellent! (obviously I'm hoping there's a EU release!)

TourianTourist

TourianTourist said:

I think, the Fusion Suit will be unlockable with the credit system. (They now use credits/vouchers to unlock extras in MP1 and MP2, basically like they did in Corruption.) But Metroid definitely will be cut out, since they want to sell the Virtual Console release.

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

@Mama Luigi
warioswoods if referring to the fact that you play the origanal Metroid on your GBA via the GC-GBA link cable.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Definate buy for me. I've been wanting to pick up MP3, but now I'll wait for this. It'll probably be a little more expensive then 50 dollars though.

EdEN

EdEN said:

We'll, $50 for Metroid Primer 1-3 in 480p Widescreen with MP3 controls AND medals? That's GREAT value and a great purchase. I already own all 3 games but the new medal system, Widescreen and MP3 controls might make me consider it. I'd probably get $20 for all 3 at Gamestop and then only have to pay $30 for the Trilogy on Wii...

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

Great for Metroid fans, I love the idea. Personally I dislike the Prime trilogy so I won't be getting this, but for those who did or haven't experienced it, this is a great deal.

super-nintendo

super-nintendo said:

DAY ONE. I haven't played all of them yet. What a perfect package for only $49. Amazon will probably sell it for $46.99. :p

@clint-eastwood....yup...like Super Mario All-Stars on SNES. :)

Check this out guys; IGN:

"Earlier this month we had an opportunity to take a look at pretty much the final version of the compilation package. In our hands-on we could take a look at the brand new front end produced by Retro Studios that ties all three games together in a single menu. Players will set up a profile using one of the system Miis, and all progress in each game will be stored to this profile. You'll be able to pull up how far you are, in percentage, in each of the games and the location of your save file. The front end also has an option menu that affects all three games, so if you've tweaked the controls or lock-on abilities, your settings will carry over into each of the products instead of requiring you to change it up every time."

SWEET! :)

Objection

Objection said:

I donno if I'll go for it since I have all three. The New controls don't make me want to play MP1 for the 5th time or MP2 EVER.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Oh man. I was just wondering today when the NPC versions of 1 + 2 were going to come out.

I'll be getting this. Even if I already own MP3 and MP1 GC.

Nice to support the franchise. And let's hope this is a "stopgap" between the awesome MP3 and the also-awesome whatever-they're-planning-for-next.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Ofcourse they can put this on ONE disc.
2 GameCube games is less than a single layered DVD.
And MP3 is only one side.

Dont forget guys that they can make dual layered Wii discs.. anybody remembers SSBB? Yes. It's 100% Dual Layer.

Caliko

Caliko said:

DAY. ONE. SALE.

No online?? Is Nintendo not aware that this game could potentially sell 10M more if online is included?

motang

motang said:

Cool, but I have played all three so it will be a pass if not a bargain buy for me. :)

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I might get this depending on how much it is, if it's $50 I'll just take my 3 to gamestop and get it. :p

Charlie_The_Unicorn

Charlie_The_Unicorn said:

I've never played the metroid series before. I've finally found my chance. :)

There's the 4th Wii game that I want! (The other 3 are Punch Out!!, Boom Blox Bash Party, and Little King's Story.)

NinjaTendo

NinjaTendo said:

Anybody who loved playing any of the Metroid Prime games should pick this one up. We need to show Nintendo that there is a lot of interest in the series and perhaps increase our chances of them releasing a DS or WiiWare sequel to Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. How about a remake of Metroid II from GameBoy!

Eclipse_Dj

Eclipse_Dj said:

It's a great idea, I wonder if they'll end up doing a similar trilogy package when Pikmin 3 comes out!? I hope so!

AVahne

AVahne said:

very nice Nintendo,i already have Metroid Prime 3 but i guess I'll just sell that and buy this new trilogy...or i can keep metroid prime 3 til it gets rare since most people would be buying the newer version...or then again i can sell it quickly before the price lowers since the new version comes out...ok i'm confusing myself

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Just looked it up on IGN, according to them its going to be $50. Glad to hear that, so yeah, definitely trading my 3 in for this. :p

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

No online play? No thanks Nintendo! You've just lost a buyer their by not adding online mutiplayer!

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Sounds fine, I have the 3 games but I may get this, having all three games in one disc sounds convinient; that is if it isn't a Dual-layer DVD, my wii have many problems reading Smash because of that, so I pass on Dual-layers.

Doug_Funnie

Doug_Funnie said:

Very nice indeed; I like it that this is finally happening!! :)

Yet what are people going to do... aren't they just going to ABANDON the New Play Control Metroid games at all costs?! :(

For me; I for one don't plan on abandoning the New Play Control series at all!! ;)

MrPanic

MrPanic said:

Already got 2 and 3, but I will definitely it just because I missed Prime 1 and wanna play Prime 2 with a Wiimote.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Yeah I wouldn't mind playing this but in 2009 Please Nintendo.

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

Sold! I better trade in my copy of MP3 as soon as I can before the value plummets.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Never thought I'd see the day where NoA outdid NoJ. Kudos to them. I wasn't planning on double-dipping for the Prime Wii-makes, but this kind of deal may be too good to pass up.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I've been waiting for the Wii-makes to get Metroid Prime 1 & 2, and I wanted to play those before getting Prime 3, so this is perfect for me!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I have three alreadY on my wii. Will it play with my save play file for number three?

I think I may consider this....

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

@85. BellGoRiiing

That's the most stupid thing i ever heard my life.
That it's just whiny people who try to make it something diffrent.
It's a First Person and you Shoot.
FPS.

Mendez

Mendez said:

I'm considering getting this if it comes out here, I much prefer using a Gamecube controller than the remote and nunchuk though so I'm not sure.

Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote said:

Very nice! Rather strange though; I mean Nintendo has long been known for squeezing every last dime out of thier fanbase and we were all expecting MP1 and MP2: Echoes to sell for $39.99 USD each under the New Play Control label. This is a shock.

Preorder this compilation IMMEDIATELY (and not from Gamestop either) if:

*You've never played either of the GC games because of the FPS style.
*You want widescreen support and up-res'ed visuals
*you want to dodge those metroids in MP1 with better controls (I would lose a TON of health when I panicked as a metroid attached itself)
*you want to save space on your shelf

Don't purchase if:
*You've unlocked EVERYTHING in all three games
*If your Wii has problems reading dual-layer disks (I bought mine in October 2007 and have had no issues when playing other dual-layer games
*If your only avenue for preordering is Gamestop (knowing them they'll try to pull a stunt in order to squeeze more money out of the consumer to generate interest like the MP3 issue).

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

@93 - my thought too. If it does, it makes it far more likely for me to get the trilogy pack. Might have a chance to unlock some of the stuff I couldn't earn in MP3...

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

@MrPinguy: I didn't call it that, its what Retro studios calls it, they call it a FPA because you explore and stuff besides going to a different area and shooting random enemies that pop up out of nowhere.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Sublime release, Nintendo. Good on you. Can't wait to pick this up and play the first two Prime games with the superior motion controls.

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

WOOT WOOT! I wonder how good the multiplayer will be. Hopefully it won't be anything like MP2.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I am a little partial with this. I was hoping to buy MP2, and perhaps MP1 later on, separately, but since i already have MP3 and MP1 I am not sure if I want to get this. I probably will then trade MP3.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

If ever there were a game that fits in perfectly with this "New Play Control" idea, it's the first two Metroid Prime games. And bundling them together is a great idea.

Modern_Legend

Modern_Legend said:

HELLO IS METROID PRIME 3 added MULTIPLAYER or r they leaving it without multiplayer splitscreen like they have now?

MrPanic

MrPanic said:

@DaDun: The only multiplayer in the compilation will be MP2's multiplayer. They added nothing new to the multiplayer.

That's a good thing too, The metroid prime triology is good because of the singleplayer, a multiplayer would only ruin it.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

Awesome! But I don't know if I should get it. If online was in, then it would have been an instant buy.

Modern_Legend

Modern_Legend said:

@MrPanic thx man. kinda disappointed tho cuz the graphics n overall greatness of 3 is better than 2 to me, added multiplayer in 3 would draw more people to rebuy 3 if they had it, gud market idea i wud have thot.

@Whoknew I agree man lol, but as of late ive been all about local multiplayer fps or lack there of...my bday is coming soon n atm my only option for fps splitscreen is quantum of solace. which actually isnt that bad as people say imo. the conduit was supposed to be the one for me tho. i guess not

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

@99. BellGoRiiing
Well i didn't tell that you were the one who called MP3 an "FPA"
But i didn't know it was Retrostudios who started that, but i still think it's lame for the same reasons.

But it's pretty obvious why they did that, Whiny Nintendo Fanboys rage would be worse if they did otherwise in the release of MP1. A sidescroller exploration shoter to an FPS, ouch...

" FPA because you explore and stuff besides going to a different area and shooting random enemies that pop up out of nowhere."
Well some FPS that i played are actually like that and they are still "FPS" but oh well that how our world moves...

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Sweet, I was gonna get all 3 anyways! Lets here it for the 3 greatest games of all time on one disc! Woohoo! ALRIGHT!!!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Well whatever, I was just answering that guy's question...I'm done here. I don't feel like arguing over something like this.

Metroid133

Metroid133 said:

DAY ONE! :D

I'm keeping my other copies that for sure. I was waiting for the NPC for an excuse to play MP3 again, but this is the best excuse ever! :D

Modern_Legend

Modern_Legend said:

ok y is this such a big deal, if u already have 2 or all 3 its not really a big deal but nintendonauts display picture is a very big deal, i need to know where u found that picture or what its from...ARRRGHHHH

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

Ive only played Prime Hunters on DS since I never had a gamecube and didnt get the 3rd since I hadnt played the other 2. But this is a must buy for me now. I did like the DS game but I found the controls to be too awkward.

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

I have all 3, but never played 1 an 2 properly, (I would let my friends play it, then end up not knowing what to do in the game, end up moving out of state an havent gotten all my things that I packed up including both games and controllers. Am now playing 3, (AMAZING). So this is a must buy for me.