Mecho Wars Confirmed For WiiWare and DSiWare Release

Posted by Damien McFerran

Luc Bernard spills the beans in drunken video preview

It's been a while since we heard from our old mate Luc Bernard but then he has been a pretty busy chap lately. He's moved to the US, founded his own development studio and is currently putting the finishing touches to the iPhone title Mecho Wars.

The game is shaping up nicely and owes a massive debt to the Nintendo classic Advance Wars, which is certainly no bad thing.

Luc has just posted a video online in which he reveals that the game is going to be released on both WiiWare and DSiWare. He'd also rather drunk in the video, and as a result it contains several pieces of bad language - so consider this NSFW or for the ears of easily offended people. Footage of the game is also included.

[via youtube.com]

Adam

Adam said:

Nice. Looks just as fun as Advance Wars except with a much more interesting atmosphere and style. And fortunately a turn-based game should not be plagued by the same control issues Eternity's Child supposedly had (not that I've played it).

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

I've been lucky enough to play the iPhone version (as you will no doubt have seen if you click the link in the news above) and it's great. Really polished, really well presented and has bags of potential. It will be perfect for the iPhone and I can imagine the controls will translate well to the Wii and DSi.

Golgo

Golgo said:

Luc Bernard's presentations reminded me of the junkie towards the end of Withnail and I. Anyway, hard to improve on GBA Advance Wars, which is perfection.

ElectricSplash

ElectricSplash said:

Simply great... Thanks Damo to give us some impressions of the iPhone version... Now, waiting for news about Rose Princess...

Modern_Legend

Modern_Legend said:

this looks bad imo i dont like this footage in comparison to advance wars AT ALL. Are all the attacks just spheres firing at ur opponents?

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

agree w/ DaDun...just looks unpolished. It seems very apparent that I'm not looking at a GBA or in-house game. Something about the fonts used and general presentation...plus this gameplay style has never appealed much to me.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Again, not my kind of thing, but could be a potential great of the ware service. The hits just keep on coming w.r.t. announcements of potentially good wiiware games

Toddr

Toddr said:

"He'd also rather drunk in the video,"

Shouldn't it be He's, not He'd?

Stratos

Stratos said:

Do we even know if Alten8 is still working on the title or if they've canned it? It's been so long for an 'optimized port' I'm beginning to wonder if they just scrapped the project.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I've contacted Alten8 about this game and still no response. If I get one I'll post it in the news.

Esposch

Esposch said:

@ SonicMaster
They're not hard to contact. Just find the email on their site and ask them something. Don't expect a proper reply, though, unless you write "BTW I help run the most reputable source for WiiWare news in the world." Just for clarification: I'm not saying Corbie doesn't know developers, I'm saying he doesn't have to to get news.

~Esposch

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

@espach
Thanks for answering that question directed at corbie. Would it be acceptable to ask someone a question and lie about running the site?

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

Aargh! I hate it when you click the button more than once and your comment is posted multiple times. Something else completely random, the longest word in the dictionary is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. I'm in elementary school and I memorized that

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

I do find it hilarious that more and more WiiWare games are just Iphone ports... As if the Iphone is becoming the the leader in downloadable games.. LOL oh wait, people say it's not a gaming machine.. LOL

Esposch

Esposch said:

@ Hardy83
Until they release an iPod Touch/iPhone with a D-pad, Joystick, some face buttons and L and R triggers, (and maybe a better pricing system to encourage more "real" games rather than encourage excessive amounts of quick ) it will never be a gaming machine. Looks at his DS games and remembers that the iPhone will never get a game of TWEWY's standard

@ Sonic Master
I personally wouldn't because:
a) That's a bit dog.
b) They'll probably be able to tell that you're lying.
You'd be better off asking one of the Nlife staff to ask the devs (if they're a huge corporation like Sqaure nix or Nintendo), or just ask yourself and don't lie if they're a small dev like Two Tribes or something. From my experience, small devs can be really nice and helpful, whereas big devs with customer support departments never actually support their customers.

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

@esposch
1. I was being sarcastic, but then again, it's hard to show sarcasm on the web.
2. I'm only 10, so I'm not really gonna do this a lot. Although, I may ask WayForward a question about the flip champs release date.

Esposch

Esposch said:

@ Sonic Master
1) That's not sarcasm...
2) To my knowledge WayForward is both a small and nice dev. They will probably give you a straight answer

If i may ask though, why didn't you just go to WayForward.com and click contact in the first place?
Although I must ask, why didn't you just go to wayforward.com and click contact in the first place?

minimario_man

minimario_man said:

DSi ware does apear to be getting a lot better. Nintendo better watch out and start creating more first party games!