Introducing Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Posted by Anthony Dickens

SEGA to try their hand at Mario Kart with Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing powering our way in early 2010 on Wii, DS, PS3 and Xbox 360.

In a frantic battle to the chequered flag, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing sees Sonic and friends speed around tracks set in mediaeval castle ramparts, lush rainforests and bustling cities, all taken from the visually rich and varied universes of Sonic and SEGA. Fan favourites such as Dr. Eggman, Tails, AiAi, Amigo and many more will join Sonic in their custom built vehicles, revving their engines and jostling to stay ahead of the pack. Each character will race around the track in cars, planes, motorbikes, and in AiAi’s case – a banana mobile! Secret short cuts, swift handling and avoiding strategically placed obstacles are certainly the best way to get to the top of the podium.

“Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is no ordinary racing game. Its huge variety of characters and vehicles, plus the ability to play both online and off set it apart from other games of this type” commented Gary Knight European Marketing Director, SEGA Europe Ltd. “The team have pushed the boundaries on what you would normally expect and created a different and unique party racing title whereby you really can’t take anything for granted!”

And winning is only part of the fun in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing! Each character has a specific All Star move such as Super Sonic, Banana Blitz and Tails Tornado, allowing a quick way for competitors to get back into the race! Power ups and weapons can also be collected around the tracks and used against the opposition to ensure they don’t become a threat to that number one position… Players can battle it out in single or multiplayer mode, allowing up to four friends to race in frantic split-screen action, or up to eight players to compete online in the ultimate racing showdown.

With the game being developed across all platforms we're not expecting to see any major "Wii-only" features, can SEGA pull this off or will it firmly fit into the Mario Kart clone category?

Here's the announcement teaser trailer:

Kittsy

Kittsy said:

Sonic... in a car.
They tried this stuff with Shadow, and you see how that worked out.

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

I don't expect any good from this.
It's a shame since i actually like Sonic.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Sonic R is the only Sonic-based racing game you need, really. If this can beat it, then fair enough.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

That actually looks pretty awesome, except that was surely the 360/PS3 version in the trailer! :-p

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Awesome! Another Mario-Kart-type game that isn't as good as Mario Kart so that everyone can wonder about why it didn't sell.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I wont prejudge a game based on a few pics and a CGI intro. Time will tell, I guess. _

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Dazza - Not sure what 360 games you've been playing lately but that was clearly a CGI introduction sequence ;)

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

Okay, if this works, it'll be cool. In my opinion it's always risky to mix vehicles. But hey, it's Sega. They can do it.

Adam

Adam said:

I thought Sonic was faster than a speeding jet plane?
Also, a CGI trailer with no game play at all. Yay.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

sonic drift 3
And here I was, thinking everyone had forgotten about it.

As for the trailer. I hope it isn't indicitive of the final game. I'd like to see something like Diddy Kong Racing where the different modes of transport actually make a difference rather than say Mario Kart Wii which might as well be called Mairo Excitebike Wii.

SD28821

SD28821 said:

i hope so too i really do

Objection

Objection said:

Sonic isn't fast enough by himself? So we need karts...can this franchise get any deader...?

Terra

Terra said:

Another Sonic spin-off. At least this one looks decent. I'll probably end up buying this, I'm just not sure which version between Wii and 360.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

I knew I wouldn't be getting this as soon as I saw "Sonic" in the headline. Little blue guy is deader than a doornail. They need to bury him already.

zane

zane said:

Please Sega enough with the pseudo-rock it sucks donkeyballs!

pixelman

pixelman said:

Please Sega enough with the hedgehog abuse! I feel sorry for Sonic, his games used to be so amazing. :(

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

Sonic Drift 3?
Looks good. I've always wanted to go through Green Hill Zone in a car! Now it's a virtual reality! :)

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I prefer using the bikes more than the karts on Mario Kart Wii.
I find myself forced to use bikes in order to remain somewhat competative so that is why I'm not too happy about them.

Rm88

Rm88 said:

Ugh. At least there's no PS2 version, that means this won't be a port.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Well, knowing how much almost all of the Sonic games of the past 10 years have sucked, this one will most likely follow suit.

Chatham

Chatham said:

Wow, Sonic Drift 3... I know it's already been said... But damn!

At least it won't be like Sonic R on Saturn/PC/GCN... Car controls on a character that is supposed to be running.

XD375

XD375 said:

FINALLY

I've been wanting Sonic Kart since the early '90s! Add more Sega characters and it's a dream come true... :D

Just please, Sega, include the old Crush 40 songs from Nascar Arcade as an alternate soundtrack, okay? :]

EDIT: Upon watching the trailer...

YES, Tails in a plane reminds me of my favourite racing game, Diddy Kong Racing! I don't like the song though.

Goomba2996

Goomba2996 said:

I know this might fail but sonic unleashed was OK to say the least except for the werehog stages. So I guess Sega might get back on the road to making good games so I might pick this up.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Have hope guys, this actually could be a great game. Definately a must buy on PS3 for performance power. If its faster gameplay than Mario Kart Wii this will be insane. I want Dr Robotnik in the 4Wheeler.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

slapshot Post 43#: Expect the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and maybe the DS version to suck, however the Wii version has a shot at being good. Considering there reputation on the Wii lately, they have a shot of making this a good game. Mario Kart Wii was announced at E3 2007 and released on April, 2008, it's proof that if you work your hardest, you'll make a great game. Could Sega do it on the Wii?

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

Isn't that the definition of a racing video game? Next they might announce that there are different tracks, or that the you can steer the cars.

If there's anything we've learnt from the previous Sonic racing games, it's that it just doesn't work.

pixelman

pixelman said:

@44: The last almost-decent Sonic game was Sonic & The Secret Rings. Black Knight and Unleashed were horrible. I'm dying for a WiiWare 2D Sonic game. :(

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

"Sonic... in a car."

Mario... in a car. What a crappy idea for a plumber to star in. :P

Now please let there be a Streets of rage character playable!

iSonic

iSonic said:

Sonic Party is up next, lol.
Oh crap...I hope not.
This game looks decent at least...I loved MKWii so this game could be fun too. Unless it's only a totally cheap spin-off of MK.

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

...There already was a sonic party (Sonic Shuffle for the DC. I heard it was decent)

Start of the trailer: What? Spotlight on Tails as actually playable and treated with respect?! This must secretly be developed by DiMPS.

End of the trailer: Oh. He was shot at, had to be saved, and still came in last. So this was Sonic Team afterall.

XD375

XD375 said:

Fun fact: Sonic Shuffle was made by the same team that made Mario Party.

Noire

Noire said:

Oh goody. Another Sonic spinoff title. Did SEGA not learn their lesson last time this happened? Seriously, its as if they want to urinate on Sonic's battered corpse. SEGA needs to step back and see that people want a new 2D Sonic and not a crappy spinoff. Make Sonic the Hedgehog 4 now, Sonic Team!