Final Fantasy IV: The After Years Coming to WiiWare June 1st

Posted by Corbie Dillard

The brand new Final Fantasy title is set to hit the WiiWare service June 1st.

According to a Square-Enix ad in the June issue of Nintendo Power magazine, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years will be coming to Nintendo's WiiWare service on June 1, 2009.

While we haven't seen a lot of new information on this title lately, it has to be exciting for fans of the Final Fantasy series to hear news of this new game coming so soon. It also leads to speculation as to whether or not Square-Enix will release the original Final Fantasy IV on the Virtual Console to set this new WiiWare release up.

We'll have more information on Final Fantasy IV: The After Years as it becomes available, as well as a full review of the game when it hits the WiiWare service on June 1st.

**Thanks for Alex D for the heads up on the Nintendo Power ad. :)

Toddr

Toddr said:

Sweet. I plan to buy this the day it comes out. June FIRST!

See what I did there?

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

People already have the next NP issue? :O
I don't get mine usually till the 15th-17th of the month. :(

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

@ supersonic1990. I agree. It would be preferable for those who haven't to play the first game before playing its sequel

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Now if we could just find out how many points it will be and if it will be released in just one download or multiple episodes. I wish they would give other WiiWare games release dates too. Microsoft gives release dates for their XBLA games so why not Nintendo? Oh well, at least now I'll have my points ready for June 1st!:)

Link79

Link79 said:

Please tell me this will be a full fledged SNES style RPG and not just some half assed mobile phone game. I really want this to be good.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

You forget that mobile phone games in Japan are WAY ahead of ours. This is gonna be great. Now I have less than a month to find FF4 and beat it. But I know someone who can help me with the first part! (hint hint Nintendo, hint hint)

odd69

odd69 said:

wow thats a whole month away. do you guys realize that a month equals like forever in gamer time??

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

I'm more amazed that someone was able to post a release date for a WiiWare or DSiWare game... Blows my mind that I KNOW what's coming out at least a day before the game comes out.. lol

Wrenski

Wrenski said:

You know, guys, I never see any mention of this, but you dudes KNOW this isn't one single game and that's it right? It's a multi-part release, like it was in Japan with individual parts coming out over time.

I was stunned to hear this, so I think it's info that needs to circulate a bit more lest people be shocked and angry come June 1st.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

I think it's relatively well known at this point that it's episodic....a browse of the game's website indicates it'll be episodic, and the 9 parts will be released in some episodic format (conjecture has landed at 3 sets of 3 episodes apiece, which sounds reasonable)

Wrenski

Wrenski said:

@Swerd_Murd
I thought so too, but most people still seem to refer to it as one single entity. Even on Wikipedia it's not completely made clear that it's anything but a single game with multiple chapters inside.

I just throw it out there whenever I think people might be getting the wrong impression, because I'd hate to see a bunch of disappointed folk when they realize they've only bought one out of multiple parts.

I hadn't heard the three episodes per release though, that would be a nice compromise on Square's part. I guess I'm just pessimistic after the mind-boggling Crystal Defenders split.

Firkraag

Firkraag said:

How about they release FFIV first on VC as they have promised, many gamers i'm sure even Final Fantasy fans have never played FFIV before and won't get this unless it's out for VC.. personally i'll wait, what's the point of playing a sequel..

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

Wow! I'm surprised it's coming so soon! This is definitely an instant buy for me. FFIV is probably my favorite FF game. Ahhh.... I can't wait for new-classic FF action!

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Hmm, I suppose there is nothing stopping them from releasing the original Final Fantasy games out of order, so a VC release of FFIV before or on the day of this release isn't totally out of the question. I'm curious if they'll actually change the title from Final Fantasy II to IV for the North American release...

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Actually now that I think about it, didn't a DS remake come out for FFIV about a year ago? That might be what's stopping them right now.

reborn

reborn said:

YESSS!!! I can't believe it!! ^^ I'm waiting for this game since it was announced!!

Fulgor_Astral

Fulgor_Astral said:

old news, but still feels great to read again and again
I dont think they'll be launching FF4 on VC yet, SE is probably counting on you already played the original game 17 years ago, or one of the remakes on PSX, GBA or DS... why not track down one of those copies instead of waiting for a VC release? besides, GBA and DS remakes are by far the best releases of the game.

And about the episodic content , i hope that from day 1 you can buy all the episodes you want, and finish them at your own leisure, that could be the best way to sell the game

ElectricSplash

ElectricSplash said:

Great, now an European release date...

By the way, i think i'm never going to download this. I never liked anything de original FFIV neither classic J-RPGs(except Chrono Trigger). So this wont touch my Wii...

Curt

Curt said:

I'm guessing the DS release of Final Fantasy IV means we won't see that for a while. At least we'll be getting this sooner than later.

Wrenski

Wrenski said:

Square already announced that FFIV/II will be hitting the VC for sure, they just didn't say when, remember guys?

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Hm, I didn´t reflect over the episode- thing before. That´s a bit of a letdown, I hoped they would have put the pieces together for the VC relesase =/