The End Of The World Starts In Europe

Posted by Brody Olimar

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask graces the Virtual Console

A short while back Japan's Virtual Console forecast list for April revealed that The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask for Nintendo 64 would soon be hitting the service. In a surprise turn of events however, Nintendo is releasing the game first in Europe! Be sure to check your Wii Shop Channel for the next update, and experience one of the stranger Zelda adventures.

In Majora's Mask, Link is tasked with saving the world from a suicidal moon set to wreck into our planet in three days. No pressure! At least, not with a magical instrument at his disposal. Relive the same three days again and again until you're strong enough to face the evil in Termina head on.

After this kickoff release, the game should be heading elsewhere before long. Japan will receive the game sometime later this month, and other regions should be close by. Be sure to keep an eye on the Nintendo Download in the coming weeks, this is one game you won't want to miss!

[via gonintendo.com]

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

Nice, have fun. One of my personal favorite Zeldas. Dare I say it? Yes, I like it more than the super praised Ocarina.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Great news! I'm happy European gamers are getting something first, especially Majora's Mask. Congrats!

LorD_SyN_DracuL

LorD_SyN_DracuL said:

I agree with Brutus!
I have to admit that I never completed the game though, and no longer have an N64 to beat it on, dangit mother!
This may do when it comes to the US VC though.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

That's, uh... quite a headline, there.
I never got to finish this one, but it was awfully hard. I'll probably get it anyway, though. It had a ton of side quests.

Sharecrow

Sharecrow said:

Wow - I wasn't expecting that! I need to play and beat Ocarina in preparation for its eventual US release.... Well, I should say 'want to' rather than 'need to.'

Ho11oWxxMaN

Ho11oWxxMaN said:

I am jealous of you European gamers. This was one of the few Zelda titles I started playing and never finished. So I am very excited for it to come to the US (hopefully in late April, if not EARLY May), so I can finally finish it up.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Eek! I need some points! Why did I download Neutopia?! Must get some tomorrow when I pick up my DSi...

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

gasp This is huge news and just in time for my birthday this month. I have never played Majora's Mask and I 'm super excited to get my hands on it. I just did not expect the game so soon.

jhuhn

jhuhn said:

It's fun going back and forth over 72 hours of time. I played it on the N64 and even WWE did promos of the game with Matt & Jeff Hardy in one of them.

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

Yes, this one is better than Ocarina imo. So colorful! And I love playing as Goron Link! Rolling in that form at top speed is faster than the horse.

EJD

EJD said:

I didn't get round to buying this game at the time. Maybe I'll pick this up when I get hold of a Classic Controller. I still remember the problems people had finding Expansion Paks to play this and DK64 with.

Will

Will said:

I also know what I will be doing with my Friday night. Very pleased :)

Adam

Adam said:

I... I don't like any of the 3D Zeldas... dodges tomatoes

But seriously, it's about time. I didn't play this one much because I felt there was too much time spent in the town performing boring tasks instead of looking for dungeons and exploring them. The mask system is really cool though. I might get this just so I can attempt to complete all the Nintendo-made Zeldas (ignoring Capcom's Oracle games but not Minish Cap, which was very good -- oh, and of course the CD-i ones, which I'd actually love to try).

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I don't believe this I bought a copy of this on an auction site for about £14.00 thinking I'd give it a go, I wish I had waited!! but we don't ever get these lists like they get in Japan. If we got Super Smash bros then Europe would be in a lot more trouble, I wondered when this was going to head for North America and Europe when that list came from Japan. Wow! I'm shocked I was hoping for Bomberman 94' but I will get this game and sell the "Hard" copy.........

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

So, 11/10 then? Its significantly better than Ocarina of Time which was 10/10.

calculon

calculon said:

Now Bass X0 - be fair: It's worth 12/10 :D
How many blocks is it by the way? Oh wait .. we have to wait until midnight to find that out I guess.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

Unexpected. Perhaps Nintendo don't hate Europe as much as we thought! ;)

Objection

Objection said:

I should give this another chance. I just didn't care for it when I tried it on my friend's GCN disc. (You know the one.)

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

YOU LUCKY B******S!!!

I can't wait till this comes to the states! It's one of the few Zelda games I haven't played. All Nintendo would need to do then is release Excitebike 64, and I can stop pestering my friend into selling me his N64! :D

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

pfft. damn one game weeks. give us a real update nintendo, not this sorry excuse 0.5 games per week of an update.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I wonder how many comments this particular section will get tonight and in the next few days or so. Hopefully North America will either get this Monday or another huge title, Europe will not get any other big titles until knowing us....The Summer.........
My fingers are still crossed for Mario Kart Snes and they're beginning to hurt now but I am happy for this latest update.

Rexy

Rexy said:

ok, 2 things here:

1) Long time no post :)
2) You gotta be freakin' kidding me...!

Seriously, Majora's Mask is a game that I have ALWAYS wanted to play through N64 VC, and I'm really glad that it will be coming for this update. I bloody well hope I'm not dreaming of this, and if I'm not, then I hope the Wii can handle Expansion Pak emulation.

So yeah, release away :D

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

The_Ink_Pit_Ox said:

"Relive the same three days again and again until you're strong enough to face the evil in Termina head on."

Does that mean that, even when time starts over, Link is unaffected?

Party_On_Dude

Party_On_Dude said:

This came as a HUGE SURPRISE to me... and now its got me thinking Zelda MM can come out; (not just Japan or for those lucky in EU to get it now), but in NORTH AMERICA anytime in April, so its a MYSTERY of when will Nintendo SURPRISE US?!!!!!

Holds onto my last 1100 Points SO TIGHTLY NOW!!!
:D

Ren

Ren said:

Awesome! Sadly never got to this one the first time around, and i loves Ocarina. Finally I can give it a go. The only Zelda I ever missed, it'll be like being we a wii kid again.

Firkraag

Firkraag said:

/pinch, i'm not dreaming! Thanks Nintendo! Wah, I never got to play this back in the day. Gonna download ASAP!

WolfLink22

WolfLink22 said:

I would make this a Must download on my list if i never had it in Gold Cart form or even at all.But since i still have a working copy of the game i will hold out for SSB or Clayfighter or even ClayFighter 63 and 1/3.That or i will wait for Super Mario Kart.

But if you missed out on MM when it came out on the N64 this will be your chance to get it or relive it through finally owning it if you rented it or played it at a friend's house.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Hold on a minute...Nintendo have actually re-released another Nintendo 64 game?! Neat!

I guess now's my chance to actually get through the first part of the game (I never retrieved the Ocarina of Time from Skull Kid...considering I only got to play for less than an hour...)

And the Termina Field theme is so much more reminiscent of the Zelda franchise than the one for Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Welcome back Rexy!!!! Glad to read your Post. By the way, You're NOT dreaming............

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I believe we are NOT going to get Majoras Mask on Monday, instead we'll get something completely different.

XD375

XD375 said:

Majora's Mask was the best Zelda game in my opinion.

I'm still worried about the emulation, though, and if it is good, I want Donkey Kong 64.

The only other game that requires the Expansion Pak is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, hailed as the best in the franchise. What are the chances of us getting that game?

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Yawn. I'm going to avoid this one, as I always found it underwhelming. But, hey, its great news for the 95% of people whom no doubt disagree with me. The more big name titles the better.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

@post 42.
"....and if it is good, I want Donkey Kong 64."
Let's hope that one stays unreleased on the VC.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

One of my favorite games...ever. I still have my gold cartridge N64 original, but I'll be downloading this one for sure. Let's hope it hits NA soon.

XD375

XD375 said:

@The Fox

Let's hope it does - many of us want it. It's among my favourite games of all time.

Don

Don said:

There's another big VC game that Europe has for a year and half now that the North American VC still has not gotten, Super Mario Picross!

MickEiA

MickEiA said:

i just went on the the wii shop and when i saw majoras mask i was blown away A N64 RELEASE

Nathan

Nathan said:

All right! Finally another N64 title. Come on Nintendo, keep reeling in those big ones...

Anyway, I had this once upon a time, glad it's on the VC now. But darn it, I have to buy more points now, seeing as though I have 900...

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Awesome update! Have just downloaded, and can't wait to play it, as i only played the start of it when i was younger (only rented it!)

Knux

Knux said:

Well,well,this is a surprise. I better go ahead and finish Ocarina of Time before Majora's Mask comes out on the NA VC. But first I must play more of my recently bought VC games especially Super Mario RPG. Especially,since I haven't had an internet connection for my Wii for half a year!

It's good to be back.

WolfLink22

WolfLink22 said:

If USA gets this game great but don't get me wrong i have MM already so i want SSB more since that is the 1 game that i never owned in the SSB Franchise.

Jiisuki

Jiisuki said:

I don't like Zelda in 3D. :/
Could have taken a few more games instead of this one :P

MrLopez

MrLopez said:

My favourite 3D Zelda game!!!! This game is awesome!! People who don't have it on the N64 buy it now!!!!

famicom

famicom said:

relaxes. Oh, wait...I don't like this, at all. I'll be playing AC: Wii instead.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

@MickEiA, the 3D Zelda games are all quite similar in terms of gameplay, so if you really didn't like Twilight Princess, you may not like this one. That said, Majora's Mask is probably the most unusual and distinctive of the 3D games.

If only we could try before we buy!

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Always loved Majora's Mask, especially the tone. In some ways, it is better than Ocarina...

VGM

VGM said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.You guys are so lucky,tell us if they fixed the bugs that were on the gamecube version.Majoras mask is awesome,#1 zelda game

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I've heared its 256 blocks but as far as emulation glitches go its too early to tell. I've heared the music isn't quite perfect but isn't prone to stuttering like the GC disc was.

Also, I wonder if the save is copyable like it was on the gamecube (to abuse the Owl statue suspend points*)
*-They delete upon loading the save.

From reading the Spanish and Enlgish news stories over at NOE I thnik there was meant to be another game. The English one says "are now available" when gramatically you would use is if it is only one item. The Spanish one might say the same (can we trust google?) but also has a double space after Majora's Mask suggesting it was originally writted:
Majora's Mask "and some other game" are now
But became:
Majora's Mask are now
Edit: And what do you know doulbe spaces are fixed on this blog :(

Nathan

Nathan said:

@VGP, I have never played it on the gamecube, but the VC version seems to have no difference to the original. If only I had them side by side.. But oh yeah, I forgot how great an N64 game can be. It's still hard to tell which game is better... MM or OoT? OoT holds the special place still, because it is set in Hyrule, with the tradtional storyline, and was of course the franchise's first foray into the 3D realm. What can I say? They both hold a very high place in gaming excellence. There, that'll do.

Rexy

Rexy said:

@Bass & PJ, 33/40; Yeah, I haven't been around much; nothing much kept me interested since Secret of Mana's release. I still kept the feeds on the hope I'd see something worthwhile.

At any rate, I've had the file downloaded. I'm not expecting the Expansion Pak emulation to be perfect, but as long as it's beatable (i.e. 99% crash-free), then I'm game :)

GabboStaff

Gabbo said:

Ah, Majora's Mask! I've been wanting to play this again since September of '06. I have it on the collector's disk, but I sold my gamecube in anticipation of getting a Wii. And I wasn't able to find a Wii to purchase until February of '07. By then I had Twilight Princess and I just never got around to playing this one! Perhaps now's the time to play along with everyone else.

Popyman

Popyman said:

Awesome! I hope we get it this week! Or maybe Smash Bros, just because =P

Curt

Curt said:

Nice title for the article. :)

Can't wait for this to come to North America.

HOT-ROD

HOT-ROD said:

I can't wait to beat this game again =D I'm really excited lol. This is one of my favorite Zeldas. Please give it to US on monday!!!

BJ1

BJ1 said:

Surprisingly, I have NEVER played Majora's Mask. I've seen my friend play it when we were middle school kids but I don't remember it. Is it good like Ocarina of Time?

PRP

PRP said:

Best article's title ever _
btw, MM is an experience nobody should be missing

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

By the title, I couldn't tell what this article was about. Sure, it's nice to have creative titles, but not ones that leave you clueless.

Rexy

Rexy said:

I don't know, a title like that would easily imply the forthcoming arrival of an event which odds of occurring are lower than the chance of a meteor breaking through the stratosphere and hitting southern Germany overnight. It made me think "damn, this HAS to be a shocker of an event", and it was (in a good way) :D

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

@StarFox:
Check gamefaqs.com. They've got guides for pretty much everything there and you should be able to find what you need.

Objection

Objection said:

I hope this comes to the U...the NA soon. I doubt it is the sign of the following, but it'd be great if this is the start of more N64 more often.

Nathan

Nathan said:

@Starfox, all you have to do is basically roll into each kid. There are two in the north of town, there are two in the east, one holding a cuckoo to float down from a building, and the other one in that area is on the top of the stock pot inn. The last one is just outside the post office. Hope that helps.
I've actually got stuck rather soon too, as I forgot how to get my first bottle... oh well, it may come to me. (Thinks to self: Do I win it in a side game...?)

supbilly

supbilly said:

It is so good to be playing this again -- and so soon after its announcement as well! The emulation is similar to that of the GameCube version, the music glitches as you go between the various parts of Clock Town and so on, but it's still fantastic. Having said that, I downloaded it onto the Wii-- is it better quality on the SD Card?
I've missed this game so much though, I forgot just how strange and eerie the whole thing was.

Klaarover

Klaarover said:

A good game with an interesting final part.
It isn't that old at all for a VC download. I still have it, but I haven't played it in years.

soniczelda_dude

soniczelda_dude said:

Man, now here is one game that HAS to come out on the NA VC on Monday. After that, it's just Sonic and Knuckles left...

geek-master

geek-master said:

im not trying to be sarcastic but there are two meening for the short torm noa nintendo of america for short and national ocieanic atmisphearic admenistration witch is meterology and the wether channle lol :P

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

The_Ink_Pit_Ox said:

@Nathan: Thanks. I found the info on GameFAQs and have written it down. I've actually gotten as far as the first temporary save before, but I can't seem to anymore.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I'm slightly disappointed guys, I thought this would get more comments than 95, including mine 96? I'd be really surprised if North America don't get this title today (Monday) but if you guys get C64 stuff that will be a nasty slap round the face. I'm still hoping we get Bomberman 94 soon, Could we swap? No honestly guys if you don't get your Zelda fix I hope it'll be Super Smash, then we really could swap. I do understand this isn't actually possible, but it's a nice thought guys!!!!!

OH by the way Love the NEW Site it's pretty good, keep up the good / hard work...

Rexy

Rexy said:

It depends how good the C64 games in question are; if they end up with some of the 5-star games there, we can't pin the blame.
But the least we can do is just wait and see what happens. It's gotta be more than US who would have the chance to play it >.>