Silent Hill Wii-make Will Make You Wet Your Pants All Over Again

Posted by Damien McFerran

Konami lifts the lid on a radical re-imagining of a horror classic

The latest issue of US magazine Nintendo Power has exclusive details relating to Konami's rumoured remake of its 32-bit Playstation horror classic Silent Hill.

Entitled Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, the game will make use of the Wii's unique controls and according to Konami producer Tomm Hulett, it's going to be much more than your typical remake:

This is a reimagining of the first Silent Hill...it’s not a remake or a port. That’s an important distinction. It really feels like a new game. The characters play different roles, things don’t necessarily happen in the same order, and the story is taken in lots of new directions. You still play as Harry Mason, you’re still looking for your daughter, and you’ll see familiar elements, but they’re all twisted to betray your expectations.

One of Shattered Memories’ most significant and intriguing additions - your answers actually affect how the game unfolds. And it doesn’t end there. the game “watches” you constantly, and your behaviour throughout can determine when you’ll meet certain characters, which scenes you’ll witness, and a variety of other factors. In Silent Hill games, the town always gets inside the protagonist’s head, but now, it’s getting inside YOUR head.

Hulett also explains how the Wii Remote would be used:

We’re using the Wii Remote to interact directly with the environment, so the puzzles are all based around that idea. You’re not just hitting buttons to choose things. Longtime fans of the series will also be delighted to learn that there’s a way through every locked door; no more checking dozens of entrances only to find that 90% of them are permanently barred shut.

It's great to see that Konami isn't being lazy with this release; taking the original premise and putting a new spin on it is a wonderful idea and should get hardcore fans salivating with expectation.

[via gonintendo.com]

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

It's another "port" thing, but I welcome it, could be good. I never completed it on the PSone anyway, so I'll look forward to this one :)

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I'm creeped out just reading about this game.

Granted, I'm the kind of guy who STILL has nightmares about the first Resident Evil...I may have to skip this for the sake of my mental health.

Firkraag

Firkraag said:

Great, haven't played SH1 since it came out so i'll definately get this one.

I hope they use the control scheme of Resident Evil 4 wii edition!

AVahne

AVahne said:

great if what they said they'll do is true,this game is going to creep me out big time.

Objection

Objection said:

I'm very excited. I recently beat SH2 and a friend will soon let me borrow SH3, so playing a new version of 1 on Wii interests me. And actually, I liked the movie. I thought they did a great job adapting it considering the source material might not translate well onto the big screen. (Exploration, puzzles and running!) I give it 3 stars outta 5 (Good.)

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Yes I will forget the movie ever happened and this game is going on my wishlist.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Wicked. Definate buy. Never played it, but I've heard good things. I also REALLY like the idea of every door being open ... able.

Objection

Objection said:

Yeah, it got annoying in SH2 that you ran into so many doors that "are locked, but the lock is broken so don't even think of trying to find a key or anything."

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

I have never played a Silent Hill game before. This reinvention may be just what I need

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Never played the original (I think it came out after I sold my Playstation and moved to the UK), so I'm definitely interested.

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

woah! that would be the greatest! I loved the original silent hill, I think it had the best atmosphere/story of any of the games, and it would be so much better with GOOD graphics :P And I also like how your actions can change the course of the game. This would be great.

Regardless, this news makes me want to play some of my silent hill games! Specifically SH4, I didn't finish that one...