Oh my, LEGO Rock Band!

Posted by Anthony Dickens

Warner, TT Games and Harmonix join forces to bring you the latest in the new cross-over genre of LEGO and music - LEGO Rock Band!

Players will become rockers as they embark on a journey to stardom that the whole family can enjoy as they work their way through local venues, stadiums and fantasy locations on Earth and beyond, that mimic the imaginative settings that the LEGO world offers. Also continuing the LEGO “build-and-play” gaming experience, players will be able to create their own LEGO Rock Band style as they customize their minifigure avatars, band and entourage, including roadies, managers and crew. LEGO Rock Band supports Rock Band instruments, as well as other music game controllers.

“LEGO Rock Band combines two compelling properties and creates an experience that family members of all ages will enjoy playing together as a group,” said Tom Stone, Managing Director, TT Games. “Harmonix and MTV Games are the world experts in music gameplay, and we’re genuinely thrilled to bring the unique and humour-filled LEGO experience to their Rock Band universe.”

“We’re thrilled to offer another LEGO branded gaming experience that will deliver humorous and social play for families and friends,” said Henrik Taudorf Lorensen, Vice President, the LEGO Group. “LEGO Rock Band is built around the same values of imagination and family-friendly creative role play that is present in other LEGO videogames. It will deliver innovative new elements of game play that complement the fun of the Rock Band experience.”

“Rock Band is a social game experience that crosses every generation and every genre of rock,” said Bob Picunko, Senior Vice President of Electronic Games for MTV Games. “Harmonix and MTV Games are big fans of the LEGO game franchise and excited to work with TT Games to develop a new take on Rock Band that focuses on great music and LEGO humour that’s fun for the whole family.”

We'll be the first to admit we didn't see that coming... the LEGO series of games have always been of decent quality, obviously we're yet to see much of the game itself but it could be quite interesting.

Update: We've been told that the first announced tracks to be included on the game are: Blur's “Song 2”, Carl Douglas' “Kung Fu Fighting”, Europe's “The Final Countdown”, Good Charlotte's “Boys and Girls” and Pink's "So What". More as we get it.

[via ttgames.com]

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

What do you know, the two game franchises who most obsessively seek out new licensed iterations are joining forces. Actually, that would be if they joined with Guitar Hero, but Rock Band seems to be tending that way as well (this and the future Beatles release...)

LorD_SyN_DracuL

LorD_SyN_DracuL said:

@SuperSonic1990 Have you seen a man eat his own head?

also, I see this game being a let down, Rock Band is a good game, but I wasn't too thrilled while playing Lego Indiana Jones. I see this as trying to get more people to play Rock Band.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Wow, just, wow. 90% chance this will suck. I was hoping for Battlefront-style Clone Wars :(

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I'm shocked that no information about the type of music to expect in this game has been released.

That...doesn't really bode well.

It would be like me releasing a puzzle game, but not telling you what the puzzles are like.

NintendoLife: So, Chicken Brutus, tell us about your awesome new puzzle game.
ChickenBrutus: All of the characters are made out of Playdoh.
NintendoLife: O...kay...but what do the puzzles actually involve?
ChickenBrutus: This interview is over.

jones2929

jones2929 said:

Wow, this seems so behind the times. Might have been funny to do it last year, but there are too many music games on the market. And how can this compete with the Beatles release? They should just stick to what they do well - make a Lego Harry Potter game that the kids will love.

Of course, maybe I'll be completely wrong...

slambert215

slambert215 said:

Really Harmonix? This is just disgusting.

Rock Band is going the way of Guitar hero now

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Wow. That is... just wow. What songs will they include? What would work? It's just... WOW.

They could have at least had the dignity to add it as a DLC update for RB2 - but this...?

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

@#4: Is that a Team America reference?

Well, as long as it isn't IDENTICLE to lego indiana jones, lego starwars or lego batman, then I'm in. But what could they do differently other then add some funny animations? It'd still be rockband, the lego would add nothing new other then some different visuals.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

It seems a lot of you don't have kids. :) The attraction is obvious to me. I don't want my (almost) 4-year-old belting out the lyrics to many of the regular rock band songs and the imagery isn't so great for her either. She is interested in instruments and playing music with us and this is a great way to make it work. Looking forward to it.

Stevie

Stevie said:

Anyone got any suggestions for songs, i will start -

Pink Floyd - Another brick in the wall
Elton John - Goodbye yellow brick road
Foundations - Build me up (buttercup)

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

And to think that we though Guitar Hero had went overboard! This is juts ridiculous, what will the songs be? Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? Probably since it seems it will be for the kids and how exactly are they going to have a good game on the PSP I wounder, no touch and no ability for a grip like On Tour, Harmonix is going way overboard!

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

Also yes Rock Band is going down the road in which they release everything they can, but LEGO'S? WTF! I still can't get over the fact that their making one for the PSP.

MrPanic

MrPanic said:

This is one combination I never saw coming.

I really wonder what they where thinking when they thought up this idea.

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

Update: The Final Countdown and Kung Fu Fighting have been confirmed for the game, LOL. It says that the game is dirceted towars kids, and there will be a DS version.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I'm stunned to say the least, I wonder what music will be involved?

This just seems..... I don't know!

Objection

Objection said:

I am officially tired of Rock Band and Guitar Hero now. Let's just end all these silly sequels and spinoffs.

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

@ 26.
Oh and now there is a ds version, well at least thats better than a psp version if it plays like GHOT. But still this is just ridicoulous

Metroid133

Metroid133 said:

XD Well it has The Final Countdown! :P Oh well I still only have GHIII and the first Rockband for the Wii I have been reluctant to pick up the newer ones up till now. I might pick up one or two this summer, but oh well. :P

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

Funny, on this other forum there was a thread for the games you hope to never see and this was in the top 10.

RallyFTW

RallyFTW said:

Well, this might be fun. Now, if only they had Lego Pokemon....

Getting Hit Will result in losing....your blocks.

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

Hm, I look back at this old story, and I see the hate the hate that surrounded this game at first. But for me, I was really excited for this when it was announced.

The DS version is great!