New WiiWare Screenshots - Karate Phants

Posted by Corbie Dillard

1970's German cartoon inspires new WiiWare fighting title

We just got our hands on 12 brand new Karate Phants: Gloves of Glory screenshots showing the WiiWare title in action.

As you can see, the game looks to be a two-player one-on-one fighting title. The game is based on an old 1970's German cartoon called The Ottifants. Apparently the cartoon was quite popular at one point, at least enough so that it's now being resurrected as a WiiWare fighting game.

We'll have more information on the game as it becomes available, as well as a full review when the title hits the WiiWare service. Until then you can take a look at the 12 new screenshots of the game in action below.

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

Great :D Die Ottifanten :D hehe Otto, the german Comedian, is great and very famous here in Germany. There was a Cartoon Series in the 90is with "The Ottifants" on RTL :)

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

Wow a fighting game based off of a German cartoon...about elephants...now I've seen it all.

Omega

Omega said:

I doubt that anyone outside of Germany knows Otto Waalkes or the Ottifants. I wonder why they made a game out of it. It seems unlikely to me that it is going to be very popular.

@KDR_11k: Ha, ha. I'm not sure. Is the red guy sticking his ***** into the other guys face? Or is it a blow below the belt from the yellow one? Well, whatever. I think both moves are not allowed. (And pretty disgusting and not G-rated.) :-P

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Maybe they figured that fighting games on WiiWare are rare enough that the game will have appeal even in areas who don't recognize the characters. Of course I'd say that Werner would be more fitting for a fighting game than the Ottifanten :P.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I want to say that now we've got something to rival XBLA's Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, but somehow, I don't think this will be quite as good.

odd69

odd69 said:

wow the wiiware is sure blooming with better titles. thank you nintendo.one more shovelware game and i was going to puke.

zane

zane said:

Schweden loves ottifants. No actually they were sort of famous here to. What do you say Britain, heard of them? I guess Northen Europe knows about them though.