Klonoa Remake Coming to US Next Week

Posted by Corbie Dillard

The remake of the classic Playstation platformer is coming to Wii

Playstation fans might remember that Klonoa: Door to Phantomile first made its appearance back on the original Playstation console in 1998. The game was a 2.5D side-scrolling platform title that featured a floppy-eared protagonist named Klonoa.

The game featured some beautiful polygon visuals that were quite impressive by Playstation standards and was one of the best platform experiences you could find at the time. Over the years, the game has become quite rare and sought-after by gamers prompting speculation that Sony would likely bring the game to the Playstation Store as a PSone classic. Unfortunately, Namco had other ideas for the game.

For Klonoa's 10th anniversary Namco-Bandai decided to announce a remake of the original Klonoa: Door to Phantomile for the Nintendo Wii console. The game would feature updated visuals, a remixed soundtrack, and some brand new Wii motion controls to go along with them.

On May 6th Namco-Bandai will release their Klonoa Wii remake in the US for the bargain price of $29.99. And given how fantastic the original Playstation release was, it would seem that gamers are getting an absolute steal at that price.

We'll have more information on Klonoa as it becomes available, as well as a full review of the game next week. Until then you can check out the official game play trailer below to see the Wii remake in action.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I can't believe this great game is only going to be $29.99! There is absolutely no excuse not to pick this up! I hope enough people buy this one so they can remake the sequel for the Wii as well!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I've waited long for this one. And at $29.99, it's an absolute steal.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

I loved the PSX original so this is a must-buy for me. :)

Now I just need my Tomba remake ;)

Link79

Link79 said:

I've never played Klonoa but I love platformers. Does it have a decent length comparable to old school games like super Mario World?
What exactly is Klonoa anyway? A floppy eared cat or something?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'd love to see a Tomba remake as well. Good call Damo.

VGM

VGM said:

@Link79:The first Klonoa has a decent length for your first time playing through the game,however if you have ever played Klonoa before you might finish the game quicker than expected like me.but with new added content such as Reverse levels with portals leading to a different levels It's going to be awesome

I hope Namco gives us the option to change the language to the Japanese.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Klonoa is my all time PS1 favorite, so I really, REALLY have to get this, it's a shame that is going to cost $50 over here :'(; I haven't buy retail wii games in a while, well time to save money, no more wiiware or VC :P.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

The only one I've played was Empire of Dreams but that was a pretty good game.

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

I never played "Klonoa", but "Tomba" (PS1) was really cool, a little limited, but cool!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I reserved this at Gamestop a while ago, but they still thought it would release at $40 at the time. Price reduction = happy for me! :D

On another note, that trailer was HORRIBLE! If I didn't know the game would be good, that trailer alone would make me flee in terror! Also, Nintendo Power said a while back that the game would have Classic Controller support as well, which I will definitely be using. :)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

This game looks extremely polished. I'll be getting this one ASAP. My only experience with the series is the first GBA title but I loved that game. Assuming this works in much the same way, I'm sure I'll like this one too.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I read the review in Nintendo Power and there is an language option for English or Phantomilian voices. I imagine the latter is probably something similar to the animal-speak of Animal Crossing; hopefully it will fit the style of this game. As for the controls; Yes, you can play this with the classic controller if you want but there are multiple control options as well. I feel confident that this will be a very good game!Nintendo Power gave it a 9 and I expect a similar score will pop up here in the near future; unless Corbie decides to give it a 7 just for laughs.;)

Terra

Terra said:

I wasn't too interested originally, seeing that I'd heard little about the series previously but I'm now excited for when this is released in Europe. I can't wait.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

@VGP
As Objection_Blaster stated (thank you), I'm from Mexico and here videogame importers pay a bizillion taxes, I was actually being optimistic, the game will probably be 55 to 65 dollars. :(

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I've played the import version and trust me, this game is not getting a 7. Not in this lifetime anyway. :D

odd69

odd69 said:

yea i want this. never played Klonoa before. i really need a platformer for wii.

Rabspat

Rabspat said:

I've never played a Klonoa game, but that trailer was downright cringe worthy. Either way, I'll look into this.

The_Indigo_Effect

The_Indigo_Effect said:

The game looks great, but I'm on the fence about the inclusion of motion controls; they just don't seem necessary for a simple platformer.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

The motion controls made me apprehensive at first as well, especially being such a big fan of the original PSone release, but they really don't have that "tacked on" feel like you would expect and they do add a nice twist to the experience. It very much exceeded my expectations.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

I love the Klonoa series, but I never got my hands ona copy of the original game, so this one's definitely on my list! That trailer was terrible though, and those updated graphics graphics IGN praised so much could really be better. I'd rather have a cel-shaded style like Klonoa 2 myself.

Clint_Eastwood

Clint_Eastwood said:

I just bought Klonoa 2 for PS2 in anticipation of the Wii game, loving it! I want more platformers like this!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I got mine today and its FANTASTIC!!! One of the best games for Wii!!! Do yourself a favor and buy this game!!!

GN0LAUM

GN0LAUM said:

Wait, is it out today or tomorrow? I thought it was released on Tuesday the 5th.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

It's even better than Klonoa 2. A timeless classic and what I consider to be the most underrated platformer ever crafted. Get it. SOON!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

This looks like 2.5D / semi-3D platforming done right. Cleans that bad taste in my mouth I still had leftover from Adventure Island WiiWare screenshots and videos :p