High Voltage: No DLC for The Conduit, More WiiWare on the Way

Posted by Stuart Reddick

Looks like gamers looking for additional content in The Conduit will have to wait until a sequel.

In a recent interview with Destructoid, High Voltage Software confirmed that their highly anticipated first-person shooter will not have any downloadable content.

Destructoid: I know the Wii isn’t known for being DLC friendly, however, could we see DLC for The Conduit?

Eric Nofsinger: For The Conduit, there will not be downloadable content, but that’s something that’s definitely on our radar. With the version 4 update to the Wii, it’s incredible. I know for myself, I’m doing a lot more WiiWare right now, now that I have the space to put stuff on there. It’s definitely something we are aware that first-person shooter fans like is being able to download maps, download weapons, download new skins. It’s great for developers, as it’s a steady, incremental revenue streams, and it’s great for players, as it extends the gameplay in new and meaningful ways. All the way around, we are keenly aware, and it’s definitely something to keep an eye out for what we have cooking in the future.

Also worth mentioning is that High Voltage has said to expect some "cool announcements" from them during E3 and that they're busy developing some new WiiWare titles. While we weren't all that fond of the last title they developed, we still look forward to their future WiiWare projects and The Conduit.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

idk that didn't claify wiiware, it sounds like he's saying he's played more wiiware since the update. oh, and very constructive comment twisted.

Terra

Terra said:

You mean America look forward to their future WiiWare projects. Europe get zilch in that sector. Even Japan are getting Evasive Space.

Objection

Objection said:

Would have liked DLC if it was fairly priced. Maybe we'll hear soon where Animales went?

wiiboy101

wiiboy101 said:

i didnt expect dlc but i do from now on with the sd card up date loads of games will now support it but down loading or paying for it i should say isnt my bag or cup of tea i see the rip off ness ££££££££££££££ of it all

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I just noticed the sidebar says 4 players, but the game doesn't include split-screen and online is up to 12. Sorry for going a little off topic

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I haven't exactly been impressed with the DLC concept on most consoles. It makes a lot of sense for something like Rock Band and Guitar Hero, but for most other games it's either stuff they held back or it's cutesy stuff that just isn't worth the payments.

In result, I'm not exactly disappointed by the lack of DLC in The Conduit. I'd rather see HVS doing everything in their power to make the base game an incredible experience.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

No DLC is laaaaaame, and I'm not exactly positive about the new Wiiware games. If they're gonna be as mediocre as their previous efforts, count me out.

Also, whatever happened to Animales?

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Not sure whether he meant Nintendo are allowing him more room for WiiWare, or he now has more room on his Wii to download WiiWare games.

The only DLC I've ever paid for in a game was Protoman in Megaman 9, but other than that, DLC doesn't really bother me one way or the other, as I'm mostly a single player man anyway.

EDIT: If the next Smash Bros. had DLC in the way of extra characters, costumes, stages etc (and was supported by third parties like Little Big Planet is) then I'd be all over it in a heartbeat :). But DLC in first person shooters is definitely not my bag.

Aenaida

Aenaida said:

I'm like chunky_droid. Basically, I'm the only gamer in my house, and I don't really care about DLC, unless it's extra songs for GH:WT/RB2.

GN0LAUM

GN0LAUM said:

I could care less about DLC. If the game itself is worth its pricetag then I'll be happy. I'd rather just have a solid game then a half made game with DLC-already-made-and-ready-to-go so the developers can milk more cash out of people (ie: RE5, Mega Man 9 and Street Fighter 4).

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

You all talk like you actually expected DLC. Here I thought everyone was just expecting a great FPS. Now all of a sudden you guys seem let down. Seriously, did you really expect them to have DLC in the first place. I'm just happy that the game seems to be coming along rather well.

Kriqxz

Kriqxz said:

It's not the idea of DLC that bugs me so much, but rather the quality of current DLC. With a 'FEW' exceptions, most DLC just isn't worth it.

Ideally, DLC should be a replacement for the old 'expansion packs' that used to come out for most popular games. Instead of paying $40 for an expansion you pay $2-$10 for the parts of the expansion you want. However, it seems that a lot of companies are simply using it as an excuse to milk a few extra bucks off their consumers.

Map packs, extra levels, etc. are what I'd like to see in DLC (ie. the things that are traditionally in expansion packs), but extra costumes/weapons is kinda lame...

Popyman

Popyman said:

Looks at Game Overview section

Wow, is that really going to be the box "art"(I use the term very loosely)? IMO, that looks worse than Mega Man's.

Machu

Machu said:

Who cares really, as long as there is at least a dozen arenas i doubt we'll get bored soon. I'm not a fan of paytoplay, its gonna get to the point where you buy a character, you buy a weapon, and then buy a level to play through, then...
I love FF:MLaaK but if it wasn't for the fact i got lotsa points half price, buying extra 'content' (which should have been there from the start) would have really annoyed me. FDLC!!!

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Did they think that the cool-looking bug enemies were enough to make up for the lack of DLC? /half-joking/

Mr. AlexSays: "For some reason they put an early box art up even though the official box art has already been revealed.
Prepare yourself, it's bad."
You call that "bad"?
...
Oh. Different people have different tastes.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

"No DLC is laaaaaame"

(looks at pointless Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter IV Downloads)

No DLC isn't a bad thing.

J_K

J_K said:

Good take a stand, not every damn game out there needs the DLC treatment. A good deal of it is a scam already done on the disc or comes just after the game comes out. Some though do come later and add a bit in the multiplayer, but whatever happened to a game selling itself for itself?

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I may be in the minority here but I rather not have any kind of DLC on Wii. The internal memory is too limited for anything substantial so you always end up paying too much for the little things. A new song, a new house, a new character, etc. Now free DLC on the other hand...

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Oh and as for anyone who thinks about the SD card functionality, know that any content would still have to go through internal memory, making it extremely difficult for a developer to offer map packs and such. Sorry for the double posts.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

I'm personally glad there won't be any DLC, since it means nothing will be deliberately left out.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

....and the news on any European releases? Anyway, the HV games already out I don't want to buy to be honest. Hot Rod Show isn't that good with the Wii Wheel (though the eccentric IGN say otherwise) and Gyrostarr and Evasive Space appear to be more about bright, crisp visuals than actual quality of gameplay. Even the hotly anticipated Conduit has been previewed as being "generic"..

Rad-RKR

Rad-RKR said:

Considering that most people who will be playing The Conduit will be either fans of FPS shooters like Halo, Call of Duty 4, and Killzone 2 (all DLC centric online FPS games), there is bound to be a HUGE upset among fans and critics alike when this game is launched, although it doesn't really bother me. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii are still fun without DLC, so who says the Conduit won't be?