Game Play Trailer - Icarian: Kindred Spirits

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Check out the new game play trailer for the upcoming WiiWare title Icarian: Kindred Spirits!

We just managed to get our hands on the brand new official Icarian: Kindred Spirits game play trailer.

The game follows the adventures of Nyx, an enigmatic winged girl, who must descend from the heavens in search of her missing friend Icarus. The game is controlled using the Wii Remote, by using easy, intuitive movements that will enable you to cast rays, modify the scenery and control winds at your command.

You can check out the official trailer below and we'll have more information regarding Icarian: Kindred Spirits as it becomes available, as well as a full review when the game hits the WiiWare service.

Vendetta

Vendetta said:

Looks to me like a day-1 download just off the artstyle alone. I'll be watching this one closely.

Omega

Omega said:

The backgrounds look a bit empty and sterile. But I'm sure there will be more details added in the final product. - So far I like it. And it is about time that there are more platformers coming to WiiWare.

timp29

timp29 said:

I kind of agree with you omega... but they are saved by the parallax effects. I think its a refreshing platformer... when nyx got hit by the dragon it seemed a bit wishy washy i expected some recoil from a big boss or something. I'll wait to see what others say before downloading, but I am definitely interested in this title.

Vendetta

Vendetta said:

I see your point too, Omega, but it is a desert after all. ;-)
My first temptation was to compare its visuals to Lost Winds, but the lush environment of that game gives it the advantage. It seems to be one of the few Lost Winds elements not modeled after in this game, unlike the game play and even the soundtrack, to a degree. I hope the finished product is tightened up somewhat, but either way, I'll be getting this unless the reviewer all but forbids it.

EDIT: One more thing... Anyone else catch the nuance in the quote "Fly, aim and shoot using the new and fullest potential of your Wii Remote" and think "Motion Plus support?" I know it doesn't fit with the projected release dates of either, but why the "new and fullest" part?

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

As others have said, reminds me a bit of Lost Winds too... which isn't a bad thing at all!

Omega

Omega said:

I think this can only be a prototype of the game design. Of course, deserts are usually relatively empty but I would expect some more details like oases in the distance, blades of grass, small stones, impurities, etc. And the 3D objects look as if they have no textures yet.

Adam

Adam said:

Kid Icarian is definitely looking better, but the levels still look rather empty, and I don't just mean the backgrounds. I share Timp's concern about the lack of recoil when hit, too. It just doesn't look right. The music is great, though there's no telling if that's in-game music or not.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

@5: It isn't a desert. The game takes place above the clouds. The have that color because the sun is setting.

@12: Yeah. Her name is Nyx.

Vendetta

Vendetta said:

^^^ They have deserts of scorching hot instant burning death sand above the clouds? I dunno, dude...

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Looks nice; I like the fact that you control wind and lightning as well as floaty platforming. Much more interesting than Adventure Island to be sure...

Smoke39

Smoke39 said:

I thought the barrenness and relative lack of texturing were part of the aesthetic; I really like the game's visual style.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@Omega - That's not untextured, it's an attempt to replicate the style of the ancient world. We think of columns as being bare stone, but it was common in the ancient world to use paint on the columns to give them a color like blue or red. Occasionally there would be detailing near the top and the bottom of the columns.

This game seems to be a fusion of ancient Egyptian and Greek styles, giving it the more unique look you see in the game. (Realistically, why would there be so many columns just sitting there in the desert? And for that matter, why are these relatively new structures broken up as if they've suffered damage from centuries of neglect?)

Vendetta

Vendetta said:

Upon further review... ;-) It really does appear to "borrow" some elements from Lost Winds. There's another video on youtube (txu77eVCCHE) that shows gameplay. Check out the icons in the upper left hand corner. The friggin' angled swirly icon in the heart is practically a copy/paste of Enril's from Lost Winds. The gameplay looks pretty simplistic in that video, I hope it gets more chellenging and complex as the game progresses.

One last thing... The soundtrack feels like BSG. Do like.

Crazed

Crazed said:

I was beginning to worry that something might of happened to this game, since it's been some time since we've had an update for this game. To me, as long as the play mechanics are good, then the game will be a must-buy to me.

@Corbie- Any news of a release date?

greyelephant

greyelephant said:

This is looking really fun! Between this, Swords and Soldiers, and Explodemon, we've got some nice looking games heading our way. That is IF they ever get here! :)

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

When it comes to enemies that can harm you, I think this game has the clear upperhand over LostWinds. Three headed dragon-like beast FTW!

Objection

Objection said:

I think it looks amazing. It does seem odd that the game is practically named Icarus and you instead play as Nyx, some other female character as far as I know. I wonder if its a reference to the River Styx? Or is there a Nyx in other mythology? I'm a bit rusty.

vherub

vherub said:

nice, but as always, too bad it's completely in the dark on a release date

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

I just hope this one is complete when it's released. After Lostwinds, I don't think I'll be buying any more incomplete WiiWare platformers based on graphics, gameplay, and glowing reviews alone. :/

also, Objection_Blaster, Nyx is the Greek goddess of night and apparently gave birth to a laundry-list of gods and goddesses, most notably Hypnos (sleep), Thanatos (death), the Fates, Eris (strife/discord), and Charon (the ferryman of Hades).

themortalangel

themortalangel said:

I will be buying this asap. I dont see how it can dissapoint. With the way it looks now its at least an 8.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

No its not the new Kid Icarus but obviously is inspired by it and Lost Winds...Looks pretty good. Hope the controls are ok.

odd69

odd69 said:

i dont know, a weapon would be nice .seriously atleast a knife. the action reminds me of lost winds.im still going to buy it day one.