The Making of World of Goo

Posted by Corbie Dillard

2D Boy is currently working on a seven-part series on their blog that will chronicle the development of their hugely popular WiiWare hit World of Goo.

Part one of the series recently went up and includes a nice little bonus for those who would like to see World of Goo in its infancy. In fact fans can even download a prototype version of the game that was only a mere week old.

Now keep in mind the game is extremely basic and made available for sheer laugh value alone, but it is nice to see the game before it became the monster WiiWare hit it's become. And don't forget to keep checking 2D Boy's Blog for the remaining parts of the series. Who knows what other goodies they'll put up? :)

Toddr

Toddr said:

If you look closely on the right side of the image, you can see peter's arm.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

Okay boys and girls, the word of the day is "Goo." When someone says the word of the day, scream out loud!

MuljoStpho

MuljoStpho said:

I remember playing the old Tower of Goo a long time ago (both a version that had a very limited screen size and one that allowed us to build up a lot taller) but the background I remember that being on was like a field, not the Peewee's Playhouse background in that picture. It also definitely didn't let you pick up the whole structure like the blog mentions. And I don't think the goo balls had eyes in the versions I played either.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I think soon-to-be developers should read on this to know how, a 2 person development team, made one of the best WiiWare games (heck even Wii itself). Good inspiration right there.

accc

accc said:

"3. Toddr Canada 09 Mar 2009, 16:33 GMT

If you look closely on the right side of the image, you can see peter's arm."
And if you download the demo from their blog you can see his entire frame!

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

Gentlemen from 2D-Boys - please don´t waste time with blogs from part one, which we beated all.
Sit on your four letters and work on World of Goo 2!!

MarioCrazy

MarioCrazy said:

I'm kind of glad they made the game with the beautiful outside environments instead of this goofy looking house.

Rocky

Rocky said:

It's nice to know that Chairy had an influence on the creation of World of Goo.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

It is pretty normal for developers to use copyrighted sounds or images when first testing an engine or concept simply because they'll know if it looks correct. Plus it saves time drawing things yourself.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

Starwolf_UK is on the money. Getting assets before you have the gameplay down is a difficult proposition. Not to mention that it's somewhat counterproductive. Back when I was working on my game Coverfire, I used assets from the old Commodore 64 game it was based on to fill the gaps while I worked out the basic engine.

Once the game reached a certain point of maturity, I replaced the assets and got the game done. No one ever saw the ripped assets except me.