Super Punch-Out!! Available in Europe Tonight

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Good news for boxing fans! You won't have to wait until May to get some more Punch-Out!! in your life - You'll be able to get your fix tonight!

As preparation for the new Wii version of Punch-Out!!, Nintendo of Europe will be releasing Super Punch-Out!! on VC with tonight's bi-weekly VC update.

Super Punch-Out!! is more like the original two arcade games in the series - Unlike the NES game, in which you get a sort of "overhead" view of the entire boxing ring, you view Little Mac from behind while his opponent is in front of him, giving you a much more involved feel. Of course, your boxer can be seen through, otherwise he'd block the view!

Along with some returning opponents from both the arcade games and the NES game, there's a ton of new boxers as well, totalling up to 16 opponents. Of course, as is Punch-Out!! tradition, all of them are incredibly stereotypical! In this game, not all opponents follow the rules of boxing - Some of them use attacks that don't involve their hands at all! The game also includes a time trial mode so you can practice beating a single opponent over and over to get their pattern down.

Super Punch-Out!! is sometimes regarded as "inferior" by hardcore fans of the NES game, but truth be told, it's easily just as good, if not better. Look for it tonight!

Source: Nintendo of Europe

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Nice to see Nintendo recognising the VC-Wii requests, putting out a game to promote a newer version - now where's my Super Mario Kart / Super Smash Bros?

Either way, I still won't get this one, since I wasn't too fond of the NES version.

Also: this is my 1337th post across VCR, WWW and NLife. W00t!

slangman

slangman said:

This is fantastic news. It's been ages since we got a SNES game. Great choice too.

Objection

Objection said:

Wow, very nice. Hopefully we'll get this soon too. Maybe this is a prelude to your Hanabi? (Not that THIS is a Hanabi title but...)

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

According to Hudson's site, Bomberman '94 and Detana!! TwinBee will be released in the US on Monday, so it won't be this week at least (Unless NoA screws Hudson over again of course).

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

Great game. I had this !! Maybe i will buy it again. But i also hope, that there will be 1 game or two more!

Terra

Terra said:

This is great and all, but seeing that i have Fight Night Round 2 already, i won't Download this. Good to see Nintendo promoting their VC releases though. Also, if Hudson's site is to be trusted, i reckon a Hanabi in Europe will happen tomorrow, if not 2 weeks time.

I know alot of us in Europe say they reckon there'll be one every 2 weeks since more games had been rated but seeing that those games are being released in NA on monday, i'd say it's quite likely.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I won't complain if we don't get Super Punchout in NA for March. Honestly we need the Turbo Grafx titles and it sounds like Hudson has 2 good ones lined up. I expect the US will get Super Punchout in late April or May.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

If you don't get Super Punch Out on Monday then you'll probably get it on the 30th March. Maybe - look at how long Clayfighter is taking to be released in America.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I see, ration out C64 and master system games to the US, one at a damn time while Europe gets great SNES releases while we "catch up". No, no that sounds completely fair... Grumble, grumble

Edit: That's not fair, North America has actually been doing decently enough I suppose. That was just my knee jerk reaction to seeing Europe get a game first that I've been wanting for some time now. At least we might be getting Twinbee on Monday!

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

This is definitely superior to the NES version. And Nintendo allowed the main character to be playable in Fight Night on Gamecube, and he was called Little Mac. Obviously he doesn't look like the original Little Mac though.

BRING THIS TO THE US ALREADY!!!!

Oh and Drake, wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo screws Hudson, it'll probably still be a one game week :P

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

As long as America gets this before the release of the new Wii game, I'll be happy. It's REALLY good to see another retail-related release after all this time!

Link79

Link79 said:

Great news! Maybe the U.S. will be getting this soon as well.
The Nes original has a higher Nostalgia factor for me at least.
I remember staying up all night at a friends house watching him play. I wasn't very good back then but It was fun to watch. Super Punch out is the better game overall though. More opponents and better graphics. If only Mario was still the Ref.

Party_On_Dude

Party_On_Dude said:

I also highly agree that Super Punch-Out!! needs to SO BADLY come to NA Virtual Console!! :D

Unless Nintendo of America themselves makes us wait forever for it; they're always so FREAKING STINGY!!! :(

So the most OBVIOUS & most LIKELY PREDICTION is that it comes out somewhere in APRIL or early MAY!! Also I'm still HIGHLY PREDICTING that SUPER SMASH BROS 64 could come out APRIL 27th!!! ;)

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Nintendo of Europe is located in Germany, so officially the update is on Friday since it's at midnight for them (1 AM during DST). It's only on Thursday for the UK and Portugal when there's no DST, when there is it's Friday for them as well.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I like to wait up till about 11:40 to see what games we're going to get, Thank you VC reviews and NoE for letting us know early. Sadly I won't be downloading this tonight, also we only get one title? so does that mean we're going to go back to getting one every week!.......

Metroid133

Metroid133 said:

Congratulations, European gamers! Enjoy the game...I still need to get the original one for the NES, but I'll get around to it eventually. :P

Terra

Terra said:

NOE's main HQ is in Germany? i always thought (For some reason) it was in France or the UK. Oh well, doesn't matter that much i guess.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Super Punch Out won't be just what we're getting, it'll be just what we know we're getting. There'll still be some mystery game (likely Alex Kidd Lost Stars).

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@ Terranigma: It's in the amazingly big, lively and famous "city" (xD) of Gro├čostheim...a place that probably wouldn't even exist without Nintendo anymore. ^^

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

My goodness...0.5 VC games a week. I'll hold out false hope that "NOE forgot to upload the other game" but for now...

Curse that Master System and Commodorre 64 its all thier fault!!!

beyondmany

beyondmany said:

Congrats on getting this game in Europe. I loved the NES version, and recently learned about this SNES followup. Hopefully a US release is not too far off.

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't belive this. This has been one of my most wanted games for the VC and now Europe gets it. I'm not forgetting you still haven't given us Clayfighter, I have been willing to try that game for a long time, but NOA gets screwed again, with great games like Alex Kidd...........and one C64 game on one week.