Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Comes to DSiWare!

Posted by Philip J Reed

According to Famitsu, Korogashi Puzzle Katamari will be DSiWare's entry in the tremendously popular (and tremendously fun) Katamari series. But it won't look a lot like its bigger brothers.

Korogashi Puzzle Katamari looks (and appears to play) very similar to Pac-Attack, but you can judge for yourself by watching the trailer below.

The game should be released in Japan this coming week for 500 Nintendo Points, but we'd bet that it'll see an English-language release down the line as well.

While this game is liable to be enjoyable in its own right, we can't help but feel a little disappointed that this is still the only Katamari we can play on a Nintendo console. Perhaps eventually we'll get something a little more substantial?

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

When I saw "Katamari" I was so happy, but then when I realized it wasn't "proper" katamari, I cried. Well... almost.

Objection

Objection said:

I second comment #3. This isn't Katamari. It doesn't even look like that great a puzzle game. The interface looks alright but the gameplay looks confusing.

hal

hal said:

....nothing to do with the original director: no thnks.

gig

gig said:

Hmmm if it didn't have Katamari in the title would anyone care?

Still it looks quite fun with a bit of a spin on the block puzzler. Musics quite cute too, hope they don't change that for a EU release

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

Why is there no Katamari or Noby Noby Boy on the Wii? It seems like those type of games would be perfect for the Wii.

Nintendork

Nintendork said:

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( If you're gonna make a Katamari game, DON'T SCREW THE CONCEPT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

I'm surprised at how many people didn't know this game existed. I thought this post was going to confirm something I missed such as an NA release or something.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Dazza: No, the rest of us stick it in our RSS readers for ease :)
Oh - and that reminds me, live podcast stream soon...

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

If they had to make a spinoff of Katamari instead of a proper game, couldn't it have at least been something other than a puzzle game? There are too many puzzle games on Wiiware, let's not get started on doing the same to DSiWare too.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@SilentJ:
"Why is there no Katamari [...] on the Wii?"

Development was rumored for a while...no idea where the project stands now, though. Or even if it got any further than gossip. Still, I live in hope. I agree with you that the concept/target audience would be perfect for Nintendo.

@Tides of Chaos:
"There are too many puzzle games on Wiiware, let's not get started on doing the same to DSiWare too."

I have a feeling we'll definitely see a lot of puzzle games...but I (personally) don't mind as long as they're good and interesting. Mighty Flip Champs looks pretty great, for example, and Art Style hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Agreed, though, that is sure would be nice to report on some platformers or something for once... ;)

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

As long as the puzzle games are the kind of game that's easy to drop in and out of and have a quick go when you feel like it, I think a few cheap puzzlers would be ace - especially if games like Panel de Pon (Puzzle League) make it over here.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

but you can judge for yourself by watching the trailer below.
I'd just like to point out the orignal trailer didn't have any sound so we'll have to wait till next week to hear what the game really sounds like.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Dazza: The trailer DOES sound like the music was tacked on, and not from the game at all. In fact, the music is familiar to me as being straight from Beautiful Katamari.

As for the game, it really DOES look like Pac Attack! Not that I claim to know TOO much about Pac Attack, but what little I know, this resembles. It IS Namco, after all. Maybe they decided to pull the old character swap and sell to Katamari devotees? Looks interesting, though. For $5, I might try it out whenever it hits US shores.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I hope this turns out pretty popular, I love Katamari, and hope the Wii version is still under development. The motion controls would work wonderfully I think.

Popyman

Popyman said:

My biggest sin as a gamer has been not playing a Katamari game. I'm gonna hold out a bit longer for a Wii version...