Bit.Trip.Beat Coming To WiiWare On Monday

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Are you ready to get your funk on? You'd better be, because Aksys Game's Bit.Trip.Beat is coming to the North American WiiWare service on Monday, March 16th.

Much like Pong, you still move your paddle around by tilting the Wii Remote, but in this unique WiiWare title you'll have to bounce the blocks off your paddle in rhythm with the pumping musical beats the game makes use of. The sound of the blocks bouncing off of your paddle will even give off musical notes that will blend in with the background music if you time it correctly.

The patterns of the blocks gets increasingly difficult throughout the game, especially during the game's boss battles, so you'll have your work cut out for you if you expect to play through the entire game.

Bit.Trip.Beat is where old school Pong meets modern day rhythm action. While the game was due to hit the WiiWare service in February, we've just received word from CommanderVideo that the game will make its WiiWare debut this coming Monday.

We'll have a full review of Bit.Trip.Beat once it hits the WiiWare service next week. In the meantime why not check out our exclusive interview with Gaijin Games?

Party_On_Dude

Party_On_Dude said:

I guess its good news; we haven't got a game comfirmed in quite a while since LIT! ;)
The only question is what VC game will be released with it?! I bet it'll be another sad 1 VC/WW game release day, sigh! :(

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm still trying to decide if I want to underrate this one or overrate it. Maybe I'll just flip a coin. :P

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

One of my anticipated WiiWare titles is coming soon and I'm ready to be engulfed in the 8-bit tunes covered with Atari 2600 graphics. It'll probably be my third WiiWare title where I will download it instantaneously (being joined by Mega Man 9 and World of Goo). =)

Rockbandmonkey

Rockbandmonkey said:

Like Worrybomb this is also one of my more anticipated titles. Only since Evasive Space, I don't download games until the review so I'll have to wait. Also is there any info on the price yet?

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Chicken Brutus approves.

"[...] if you expect to play through the entire game."
If this is half as good as I'm hoping it is, I expect to play through it many times. :-)

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

Well according to an interview with Gaijin Games' Chris Osborn, Bit.Trip: Beat will be under 1000 Wii Points but of course Nintendo has the official last word.

Still if the gameplay meets my expectations, I wouldn't mind shelling out 1000 Wii Points for it.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

I'm guessing anywhere from 500-800 considering only 5 songs are available. Hopefully there'll be DLC.

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

Yep. Arc System Works develops the "Family" series (Glide Hockey, Table Tennis) while Aksys publishes it.

Objection

Objection said:

I have 700 points and would like this to fit nicely in or under that especially with only 5 songs (?) I hope the DLC (isn't there?) is good and fairly priced.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@rayword45:
"considering only 5 songs are available"

Well, I'm still excited for the game, even if that does come as a slight shock. Something tells me it will be worth coming back to for the gameplay. (After all, Orbient has like, what, two songs in the whole game? It's all in how you use it...)

Rockbandmonkey

Rockbandmonkey said:

@Chicken Brutus
"I must have missed that detail...for some reason I expected a much larger song catalogue..."

Because of the Wiiware size limit, not too many songs are possible. If you buy songs on Rock Band 2, you run out of room after about 3 songs without an SD card and you have more than 40 megs of space to use there

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

I cant wait......... for the review. Im a bit iffy on this, looks very 7/10 tot me.

Guess that Corbie's reviewing it :P

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

As soon as I saw the thumbnail with Bit.Trip.Beat for this article, I jizzed in my pants. I can't wait, OMG!

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Yes i be looking forward to this one .
Oh wait Monday .
DAMN YOU AMERACANS .
At least it garantees i read the review beforehand unlike Onslaught where i downloaded it beforehand .
This game do look cool & I be wondering what the other games in the Bit Trip series be like .

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

2 good Wii Ware games in a row!!! Hopefully the following week we will get Pop Them Drop Them

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Just as I predicted. Pushed back by a month just like SNOWBOARD RIOT and EVASIVE SPACE. Interesting.

Irregardless of the review, I'm getting this the second it comes out.

accc

accc said:

No price announced yet? I think I'll DL it immediately if it's 500 or 600 points and wait for impressions if it's any higher than that.

Kenji510

Kenji510 said:

Oh yeah!!.. one of my favorite type of games im gonna get when it comes out on monday the 16th.. been waitin on this game too and when it hits in the wii shop im gonna get it right away dont care what the price is! :D :D

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

As long as it's actually coming out here (unlike games by a developer that won't be named), I can wait. I actually didn't think this would be the next game I'd buy in the PAL shop, but the past month has been a series of disappointments, so when this is released it will be like finding an oasis in the desert!

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Heh, if Mayhem in Monsterland never comes, I get impatient in waiting, or I get convinced not to buy thereof, I may buy this, if the price is right...

(By the way, check out the Bob's Game site!)

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

@Objection_Blaster: Hell yeah, I like that song! It's hilarious. There's another SNL music vid that came out recently- just go to youtube and look up "I'm On A Boat (ft. T-Pain)". Have you seen that one? It's ridiculous.

Neomega

Neomega said:

Um, corbie?
I suggest overating, to get this on the charts...THE POWER IS IN YOUR KEYS!

Taiyou

Taiyou said:

Wow, I DEFINITELY want it for 600 points. I hope it's released soon here in Europe.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

@WarioFan63 Was just about to say that. lol.

IGN has reviewed it already. Gave it a solid 8.0. Some highlights to be extracted from the review.

• "As an odd little "expressionist" inclusion, every button on the Wii-mote will add in other tones, so you can jam along with the game as you play. Random, but we found ourselves missing notes just to play away. It's a slippery road to go down; be warned."

Nice that they added that little feature. It'll definitely make things different each time you play and as you get more accustomed to a song, you could start jamming and warping the original tunes. Sounds great to me!

• "Unfortunately, while the game's concept is all about high scores, there's no way to upload or share those scores, so each system will have only its own scoreboard to work from. We expect people to upload videos and share scores across the net, but it would have been great to have a way to upload them."

Leaderboards WOULD have been a good idea but nevertheless as soon as this comes out, I plan to record and upload vids of it. :D

• "On the plus side, however, four player co-op play is included, and it's pretty fun, minus the inherent overlapping of paddles, and the screw-ups that happen because you think you're one place, but actually drifting a bit amidst the slew of sliding lines."

So multiplayer can be confusing. I expected that. Hope it at least plays better than Gyrostarr's multi. Boy is that ever confusion....

• "Given the style of play, and the inherent lack of space on WiiWare, it would have been nice to have six shorter levels, rather than three longer ones."

Apparently, it would have been better to split them up in chunks rather than have 3 lengthy tracks. I would say the same thing too.

• "[I]t’s also a great game to boot up for a few minutes between other titles, and a great first step for the Bit.Trip franchise."

Enjoyable in quick bursts, is what they're saying.

• With that being said, players expecting too much might be let down, as the game is three tracks total (basically 200 points a song, which is the same as any Rock Band DLC really), and it’s all about replaying them and getting better scores.

So this game seems to be suited for a high-score fiend like someone who would play SSR frequently and repeatedly aiming for high-scores. It's shame there aren't more tracks but that's what Bit.Trip Beat 2 will be for - and yes it's confirmed. Or at least another Bit.Trip game is. Can't recall if it was actually BEAT or not.

Source:

Better than their usual reviews, that's for sure but I couldn't help but coming off a little... underwhelmed still. But then again, I didn't expect much from this review.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ Neomega - Overrated it is. :P
I'm glad you chimed in because I didn't have a coin handy. :)

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

I believe it was Bit.Trip in general, like 5 or 6 of them, I can't recall. So its basically Art Style all over again, which has me pretty excited. Although itd be nice to know how fast theyll be pumping them out.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

@WarioFan 63: That's correct.
@Objection_Blaster: Yep. Still worth getting, though. It'll give them support to continue with the other games. But like IGN said, it would have been better if the songs were split up into smaller chunks because it seems like they are kinda lengthy. But that's not really a bad thing either. And besides, SSR was $7 for 2 levels and a mini-game so keep that in mind. SSR is a great game, IMO and I'm sure anyone who liked SSR beating high-scores and the like would get a blast out of this.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

600 points seems really cheap; definitely in Art Style land. I'm not bothered about length, I'm more interested in the music and visual spectacle. I just got Wii Music and love noodling about in the improv part, so the fact that this includes a similar feature is awesome in the extreme.

I hope future Bit.Trip games will also feature music in a similar way.

accc

accc said:

Only 3 total songs is disappointing :( I still haven't picked up Cubello, I might buy that instead.

Crazed

Crazed said:

First Comment Ever!

On an actual matter, I predict that Bit. Trip will be a game that jumps onto the top 10 of the top 20 list, maybe even cracking the top 5 this week. Even if Corbie gives the game a low score (when I mean low, I mean 6 or 5 out of 10), the game is only 600 points, it has been anticipated for the last few weeks, it appeals to many different audiences, and features a great (if not a little flawed) pick-up-and-play multiplayer. It will be very surprising if I don't see this game reach the top 10 this week, let alone the charts.

Oh, and just to be clear, I find it unlikely Corbie will give this game a 6 or 5/10, but you never know.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Wow, I swear they said that the credits and intro songs would be playable, but I guess not anymore.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I doubt Bit.Trip.Beat will even chart in the same week it's released. It just doesn't happen very often, no matter what score I give it.

Doogle

Doogle said:

Must.Have.This - I really hope Aksys bring this to Europe soon, rather than another one of their crappy "family" games!!!

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I'm very excited to play this tomorrow. The small number of songs has been made up for by the ability to freestyle jam while playing.

I can't wait to get my hands on it, and I also can't wait to see what else Commander Video has up his (his?) sleeves.

Objection

Objection said:

I guess I'm being a bit of a hypocrite here in regards to my concerns of length since I am a LW preacher but I'm very hesitant to pay $6 for 3 songs. Even if each song was "long", what is that, 10min each, maybe? As for the comparison to SSR at $8 for 2 levels, I've already commented on how I think that's a ripoff elsewhere but for some that's enough.

themortalangel

themortalangel said:

MUST BUY...sadly will have to wait til AFTER I go shopping with the girlfriend...sigh....such is life.