6 New DSiWare Titles Coming to Japan

Posted by Philip J Reed

The beginning of April will see the release of the DSi in three regions, and a whole load of new releases in a fourth.

The good news: Japan is getting six releases at once, which might (underline might) suggest that DSiWare won't suffer as easily from the one-per-week schedules that sometimes affect WiiWare and the Virtual Console. Perhaps the smaller files and lower price points are encouraging more releases faster.

The less-good news: It looks like the App Store inspiration is in full swing; only two of the six releases are games!

Here are the games...whoops...releases that Japanese fans can look forward to:

Nintendo DSi Clock will tell you the time with a visual flair that reflects your choice of Super Mario Bros. or Animal Crossing. There looks to be a certain limited amount of "playability" as well, wherein you can interact with the characters and events.

Chotto Magic Taizen: Suki Kirai Hakkenki (say that three times fast!) is another Master of Illusion title. Our Japanese is a little rusty here at WiiWare World so we can't translate its subtitle, but the magic trick included has to do with using the DSi's microphone to determine whether or not somebody likes you.

Kuru Kuru Action Kuru Pachi 6 is a puzzle game involving numbered spheres.

Band Bros. Radio including Photo Stand is an application for playing songs and displaying photographs.

Kakonde Keshite Wakugumi no Jikan is a color-matching puzzler.

And Ganbaru Watashi no Osaifu Ouendan is a budgeting application that will allow you to enter your financial information, which it then exports in a format that can be read by budgeting programs on your PC.

That's about all the information we can glean about these games--erm, programs--so far, but stay tuned, and we'll let you know which of these, if any, we can expect for Western release.

Source: Nintendo (Japan)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'd personally like to see developers use the nostalgic approach like Capcom did with Mega Man 9 and make some 8-bit flavored titles for the DSi service.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

Errrrr, a watch app?

Dosnt the DS already have a watch for like FREE.

Oh and great pun in the caption Chicken :D

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

My guess is that the "clock" app includes some other functionality...a planner, or something, or the ability to set reminders. There will be some additional feature to help justify the cost, I'm sure.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

How many people are honestly going to buy Ganbaru Watashi no Osaifu Ouendan?
Out of the titles listed though, I'm only really interested in the clock and the sphere puzzler, but I hardly know anything about the latter yet, so I may change my mind in the future. (PS: Only ten days until the DSi launch here!)

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Probably many, Japanese uses kanji to differentiate between different meanings of the same phoneme and that differentiation is lost in romaji.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

If it is going to compete with Apples app store the DSI needs some fart apps or a vomit app or some other disgusting app for it or otherwise it can't compete .

Just hope I Am Rich doesn't get ported to the DSi .

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

This isn't the App Store approach. Apple actually has some grace to package things like a clock and calendar app in the OS itself. And a budgeting application? Is this even going to be a gaming console anymore? If you want to do budgeting on the go, you get a PDA or something, heck even an iPhone. The NoJ pres. already said he doesn't want to compete with the iPhone. (he has one himself actually)

Adam

Adam said:

I agree, SmaMan. This seems like a shameless cash-in. More convinced than ever that this device will be a waste of money.

Objection

Objection said:

It'd be nice to see the prices, if they are known. I like the idea of apps, as long as they are fairly priced. (We'll see if that happens...)

Nintendork

Nintendork said:

So, is that Band Bros. app really a radio that uses the Internet, or just a music and photo player?

JNoodles

JNoodles said:

Well, what's with some people's negativity towards utility releases? I know no one wants to see a different clock app every day, but it doesn't hurt anyone if utilities came out along with games like with the App Store (which is sort of why the DSi was made in the first place).

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Kuru Kuru Action Kuru Pachi 6 is basically the main part of Nonono Puzzle Chai-Rian (my favourite burried treasure GBA puzzle game) except the vs mode has been replaced with a time attack. Otherwise, from screens and videos it seems identical.

Kakonde Keshite Wakugumi no Jikan is from Mitchell corp who bought us Polarium and Puzzloop/Actionloop/Magnetica.

I have a strange feeling only the latter of those 2 will ever make it outside of Japan :(

JNoodles

JNoodles said:

One more thing: If Band Bros. Radio Stand actually lets you play your own songs in a Band Bros. game, than I'm all for it, but it seems more like a simple skin at the moment. :(

Ren

Ren said:

Yeah, I also don't get all the animosity over utility type of stuff. It's not hard to design, and if it's cheap, some of them can be fun and cool, since it does have a camera and mic. Nobodys forcing anyone to buy the non-game stuff and it won't reduce the number of games made. Personally I don't want an iphone, i don't need all of the expensive services it includes so I wouldn't mind getting some of that in my DS instead.