Hudson Releases Onslaught Screenshots

Posted by Corbie Dillard

WiiWare fans who've been aching for a first-person shooter experience are in for a treat with Hudson's upcoming WiiWare title Onslaught. Combining intuitive FPS controls using the Wii Remote with intense shooting action, Onslaught looks to be just the WiiWare title action fans have been waiting for.

Being the first FPS on WiiWare, Onslaught gives shooter fans the action you’ve been waiting for. Taking advantage of the precise motion controls of the Wii Remote™, you’ll be in full command of your soldier as you tread through treacherous terrain. The action stays tight by aiming with the Wii Remote. You'll need steady hands if you're going to survive the horrors that await. When running low on ammo, give the Wii Remote a shake to get back in the game. When the odds get overwhelming, a supply of grenades will keep enemies at bay by throwing them using the Nunchuk™. Get set to play an FPS unlike any you’ve ever played before!

We just added 6 brand new screen shots of the game in action to the Onslaught game page and we'll have a game play video up soon as well. Of course we'll also have a full review of the game once it hits the WiiWare service.

Nobarai

Nobarai said:

This looks fun, but only 4 people in online? Doesn't seem like much...

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

This is a Wiiware game!? Color me impressed! This game has definitely sot up to the top of my wishlist! Though something tells me it's gonna be 1500 points and take up 500 blocks. :(

@Nobarai. It's a Wiiware game. What do you expect? full 16-player deathmatches?

LorD_SyN_DracuL

LorD_SyN_DracuL said:

I'm not impressed, it looks quite crappy, worse than N64 era...
I think it will be 1500 points and not be worth 1000, i predict a 5 as a rating...

yes, it's a bit early, but still

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

I have disliked Hudson since their unofficial dropping out of the Virtual Console service but I have to admit that they are making innovative strides in the Wiiware side of life. Making an FPS for Wiiware? And with online multiplayer? That's huge, even if it does end up being kind of crappy.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Well I'm a bit indifferent. On one hand it's nice to see an FPS appear on WiiWare, but I hate first-person shooters so this one doesn't really excite me. But Adventure Island does, so maybe that will make up for it. :)

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

@Corbie: You and me both.

I still hope it's a success and draws a crowd - and I'm sure it will. Wonder if it'll get E10+ or Teen... I predict 1,000 Points.

Virus

Virus said:

The graphics don't look that impressive, but if the cost of better gameplay and more content is amazing graphics, I will willingly accept it. I'm excited that the game is coming, but one thing that worries me is Hudson's habits with their game's content and length; so far most of their games have been on the sparse side. Hopefully this trait doesn't translate to this game because I wouldn't mind having an FPS WiiWare game.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

@Corbie, KS8
Same here.

Most FPS cause me motion sickness, so I'm not getting this for sure, still, is nice to have more variety on wiiware, this game is a good shot from Hudson.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

First off, I'm glad we're finally getting an FPS, since they're quickly becoming one of my favorite genres. However, since it's a Wiiware game, I'm not expecting much out of this. Still, if it's only like 10 bucks, and I've already downloaded Marathon: Durandal on my Xbox 360, I might give it a shot when I have a craving for a new FPS and only 10 bucks to spend.

@Nobarai

I've played a lot of fun multiplayer games that only had 4 players. Granted, most of those were N64/Gamecube/early Xbox games. Just think of it as an old-school shooter without the crappy controls(hopefully).

EDIT: Actually, after seeing the screenshots, I'm actually quite excited about this! I do love FPS's, after all, and this looks right up my alley!

agent_lime

agent_lime said:

"When running low on ammo, give the Wii Remote a shake to get back in the game"

So you point with the wii remote to shoot, and you shake it to reload? So that means everytime you reload you have to re-aim afterwards?

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Looks pretty crappy (though "worse than N64" is exaggerating, it looks nowhere near the 50-polygons-for-the-whole-world-with-different-textures-on-each level of fugly the N64 tended to produce) but I wouldn't be surprised if they were lowballing the specs to make sure they don''t have to cut anything important to fit into the size limit.

Overall though I'm expecting an 80% chance of suck.

@Nobarai. It's a Wiiware game. What do you expect? full 16-player deathmatches?

WiiWare has a size limit, not a CPU limit. More players just need more CPU (and maybe more efficient code and graphics), a WiiWare game can fully well run with however many players retail games can get going.

Well, you're not going to be able to remove the clip (includes cupping your hand around the ejector to catch any leftover bullets), pull another one out of your ammo pouch, place the old clip in there, push the other into the rifle and pull that slide thing to load the first round into the chamber while keeping the sights on your target either.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Graphics-wise, I like the art direction, even if it is a little too blocky. Still, graphics don't matter - it's the gameplay that matters, and there's no way to judge that until they start releasing videos. No point in judging it until then.

Omega

Omega said:

Looks interesting. And an Ego Shooter for WiiWare is something new. The enemies remind me of Killzone.

-TR

-TR said:

I'm not usualy a fan of FPSes, but this should be worth a download, if only because Red Steel's multi-player was so damn addictive, and it can only get better online.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

The enemies remind me of Killzone.

I think those are the player characters, the enemies are those bugs and such.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I was kind of hoping for a Pole's Adventure-style FPS. I sure hope this game doesn't take itself too seriously. I wouldn't pay full retail for what I expect to be a pretty brainless FPS, but WiiWare? Could be interesting...and fun.

Amorous_Badger

Amorous_Badger said:

Whilst I'm not a fan of FPS I hope that this is a success as it might show other developers that you CAN do more with wiiware than just puzzlers.

Teboda

Teboda said:

So Halo mixed with Killzone, and laser-wips thrown in for good measuer? Sure, count me in!

danik

danik said:

This looks like the best wiware game to be announced for a long while! will keep my eye on this!

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

This looks pretty awesome! I love online multi-player! Four players shoudn't be so bad if they make the maps smaller. Hope the game isn't that expensive though.

Adam

Adam said:

I prefer 4-player, 64-era shooters anyway. Metroid Prime Hunters was my favorite shooter in recent years. If this doesn't have split-screen though (and I'll assume it won't), not interested. You'll be able to find people to play with for like a month, and then the multi-player will be useless as the next FPS steals everyone's online attention. Hooray for online play!

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

My first thought was "Hudson ripps off Killzone", but ok, this is completely different. I suppose it´s positive that a new genre enters Wi Ware, but Hudsons experience of making fps is zero, correct?

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@Omega - Ego shooter?

@Lord Syn Dracule - Worse than N64? I think it looks fine.

Anyway I hope they put in a good single player mode (not just for practicing). A story mode would be good.

accc

accc said:

"but Hudsons experience of making fps is zero, correct?"

Bomberman Act Zero had an fps mode. So I guess that should count as negative experience in making fps (since Act Zero was terrible).

Omega

Omega said:

@longtimegamer (#34): Yes? "Ego-Shooter" is another name for "First Person Shooter" (FPS). At least that's what we call it in germany, although FPS is also common. I do not know if "Ego-Shooter" is a common term for the genre in the U.S. No?

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@Omega- Oh. Thanks. Yea. I dont think I've ever heard it called that before. I used to live in Germany in the early 80's. Quite a bit before those types of games came out though, unless you count the first battlezone.

Edit- Why do they call it that? What's it stand for?

Omega

Omega said:

@longtimegamer (#37): Ego means in Greek and Latin "I". It's a shooter where you see the landscape through your own eyes. It's the "I-perspective" or better said the 1st person perspective. Sorry, I can't explain it better. It's some kind of anglicism.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I wonder how the long the game will be. It certainly can't have as many levels as Halo or Half Life

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Alright, an FPS! Now if we can just get a fighting game and a beat-'em-up game (my two favorite genres), WiiWare's genre selection will look a whole lot better.

Personally, I think WiiWare would be perfect for classic isometric beat-'em-up games or maybe even 3D beat-'em-ups.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@longtimegamer

All the screenshots look like singleplayer levels to me.

@Bulbasaurus Rex

Yes! I would love to see some beat 'em ups! Not 3D beat 'em ups, though. The only one of that type that I can think of is Yakuza, and I really didn't like that game. Some things are better off in 2D, and the Beat 'em up genre is definitely one of them.

Objection

Objection said:

For now I'm gonna stay positive and hope it turns out decent. It needs a good campaign and and at least acceptable multiplayer. (Is it online only or does it have split-screen?)

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

@LorD SyN DracuL: I agree. Looks cool, but we'll have to see. I'm not sure the WiiWare platform is the appropriate place for such a game- it may suffer. Now had it been a full-blown retail game, with online capabilities, that'd be different. Anyway, I was very surprised when I played Metroid Prime on the DS, it worked really well online imo. So we'll have to see.

Ren

Ren said:

sweet, this looks fun. I do hope theres local multi player too (i.e. split screen). Takes me back to the days of burning out my retinas to 007 with friends. Looks about like that graphically, too, and I don't mind at all as long as the weapons are cool and it has some good maps. Hey maybe some extra maps for DL later would be cool too.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

SEXY...

Why thank you.
As for the game, if Hudson can pull it off that'd be great.
But if the online experience (which the game is centered around) is similar to Bomberman, you can count me out.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

wow, hope this one turns out good. by the way, when is the snowboard riot review supposed to be out? I've been waiting to see for sure if i should buy it and i dont trust ign's opinion.

Objection

Objection said:

I agree with both anthonyB and AlexSays' posts. Those are both areas (single-player, like in MPH on DS, and online) that need to have been given equal attention. Personally, I spend more time in single-player on FPSs (I know I'm in the minority, it's just that my friends don't enjoy the genre) but I would enjoy some decent online deathmatch and CTF too!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

We are working on the Snowboard Riot review. We'll get it up as soon as possible.

Gabbo

Gabbo said:

Whether its good or not will be judged by the final release. But I think we can all agree that the fps genre is a large and relatively untapped market for the Wii.

Although the graphics obviously can't compete with the 360 or PS3, with Wiimote controls, online play, and a (relatively) low-cost downloadable game price tag, this game has the potential to be hugely successful.

Razoredge17

Razoredge17 said:

I am really impressed by Hudson, they might not have every game they try be a hit, but they are trying and spreading around different content rather than an Onslaught of puzzlers. (See what I did there?)

Either way, this is a milestone, the fist FPS on Wiiware, count me sold.