Diatomic: Microscopic Arcade Action Madness

Posted by Darren Calvert

Dutch development studio, Grendel Games recently got in touch with us regarding an intriguing new arcade action game called Diatomic which they plan to bring to WiiWare soon. Here’s what they told us:

Diatomic is a hectic arcade action title that focuses on making choices between defensive or offensive play. The player controls a diatomic protagonist equipped with a deadly tail that can be used as a whip or curled around its body as a shield. Defend your petri dish and destroy the invading diatoms. Collect the mystic spinergy power ups and engage in the all-devastating spinball move to obliterate your enemies. Stack bonus after bonus, hold the multipliers and become top-dog at the leader boards.

We curiously asked them if the gameplay might be similar to Geometry Wars and this is what they had to say:

Diatomic does share some similarities with Geometry Wars in the sense that it's true to form arcade gameplay. Our graphics also have a vibrant touch to them, just like diatoms under an electronic microscope.

The pace and play style themselves couldn't differ more. Diatomic is very physical, as the player needs to whip the tail to destroy enemies, or to shield itself from their attacks and ricochet incoming fire.

We’ll get our hands on some screenshots over the next few weeks to show you, but until then you can enjoy some artwork which shows some of the microscopic bad guys you will have to face in this game:

Untitled

Draygone

Draygone said:

The fact that your primary weapon/shield is a tail catches my interest. Even if you are a micro-organism. :P

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

The option of defensive play could be an interesting one...if they see it through, that is. Hopefully it's not just like having a shield in the Legend of Zelda; however defensive you are, you're still required to kill frequently to complete your goal. Nothing WRONG with that, of course, but if that's what to expect here then it's hardly worth mentioning.

To actually have an option for full and complete defensiveness...that could be a really fun innovation.

Awesome5

Awesome5 said:

The art looks pretty cool, with all of those glowing bacteria things. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one.

EDIT: What the heck!? My non-existant avatar morphed into an existing one... weird...

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I'm kind of intrigued. Can't wait to see a trailer to see it in action. WW seems to be getting all the unique titles.

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

Reminds me of Flow rather than Geometry Wars, with whipping rather than eating.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@Knuckles: Yeah, WW is picking up.

But for the game...... its looks okay, but I'll have to wait for more details before I say "Must-buy" or "hell no."

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

This sounds awesome - I can't wait to give it a whirl, especially if it really is similar to Geometry Wars!

mojo25

mojo25 said:

Hmm, very unique, but IMO, it might get a little boring...unless there is a twist or something. I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

Objection

Objection said:

The gameplay and one screenshot remind me of a mix between Geometry Wars and the cell stages in Spore. Could be cool.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

I'm undecided. Xbla is already flooded with dual analog shooters and while this game uses a melee weapon instead that doesn't seem terribly different to me.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Colour me interested. The art style is definitely a winner imo.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Looks kinda like the spore stage in Spore.

A Geometry Wars-style game that lets you kill things with your tail? Sounds like a winner to me!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Why are so many people ripping off Super Stardust? Evasive Space, Power-up Forever(the definitive Stardust ripoff), and now this? Sheesh!

Never mind, it sounds like a variation of Flow. I can play Flow for free, si I'll pass on this one.

Aardvark_Soup

Aardvark_Soup said:

I don't know yet. I'll wait for its release and the review. I'll probably download it if it turns out to be good. Anyway, it can't hurt to support the Dutch game industry.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Why are so many people ripping off Super Stardust?

Don't you mean Asteroids, the game that Super Stardust is a clone of?

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

@KDR_11k: Super StarDust? Hmmm, that's my screenname, LOL!

Those enemies are really pretty! I bought Geometry Wars on DS a while back but haven't played it yet.

Razoredge17

Razoredge17 said:

I'm really interested in this, and I also thought the enemies had a metroid style flair to them.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Looking pretty cool. The graphics do remind me of Geometry Wars quite a bit actually.

Can't wait for a trailer.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Looks sexy. I had Geometry Wars, but it felt thin for a disc release so I sold it. Wouldn't mind seeing that again as a WiiWare title as well.

Last game I remember playing with a tail as defensive weapon was Saint Dragon in the arcade which is pretty nifty if you can find it.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

“Looks sexy, I had Geometry Wars, but it felt thin for a disc release”

The word Sexy? Geometry Wars? Disc?
Am I on WWW?