Batten Down The Hatches For Family Pirate Party

Posted by Darren Calvert

Avast ya li'ly libbered land lubbers! Aksys Games have put out a press release to let us know that Daddy, Mommy, Sarah and Billy are bored of playing Table Tennis even more bored of air hockey!.

Batten down the hatches and prepare to embark on a nautical themed adventure – ya’argh! Clearly we haven’t been too impressed with the ‘Family’ series from Aksys so far, but who knows, it could all change with Family Pirate Party? Check and the press release and screenshot gallery below and let us know your thoughts.

If this game doesn’t turn out to be any good we recommend that the family go back to feudal Japan and come back with ‘Family Ninja Party’ – everyone knows that ninjas pwn pirates by now surely?

Torrance, CA (February 25, 2009) - Aksys Games, a publisher of interactive entertainment software, is pleased to announce Family Pirate Party exclusively for WiiWare™! Developed by ARC SYSTEM WORKS, creators of the Guilty Gear series and Family Glide Hockey, players of all ages will finally be able to battle their family members in an all or nothing family board game!

Family Pirate Party has players controlling our beloved family through several unique pirate-themed virtual board game. Players will traverse to multiple island spots on the board and plunder their riches and defend their spot against newcomers. Go head-to-head with your buddies in hilariously exciting minigames! “The “Family” series of games was created to offer simple-yet-fun alternatives to classic games that are appropriate for gamers of all ages,” said Bo deWindt, Project Lead, Aksys Games. “FAMILY PIRATE PARTY is a unique twist on the classic digital party game and promises hours of family friendly fun.”

Key Features:

• Get In The Fun With The Whole Family!
    Enjoy 1-4 player board game fun, with any combination of players or CPU opponents!
  • Maximize your Bootay!
    Find and collect Help Cards to increase your gold, or use them to give you an advantage!
  • Plunder Ye Island!
    Play through three maps of varying difficulty which include Beginner’s Island, Freezing Winter Land, and Fluffy Cloud Land!
  • Keep the party going with add-on content!
    Use your Wii Points and download new maps and new costumes pack for the whole family!

Family Pirate Party has been rated “E10+” by the ESRB. For more information about Aksys Games and Family Pirate Party can be found at www.aksysgames.com

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. The chances of this being good are... slim.

I myself can't wait for Pirates vs Ninjas Dodgeball though, and I loved Zack & Wiki, so it's not the pirates that put me off - it's the gameplay. And devs.

Bensei

Bensei said:

Imho One Piece is far better than Naruto.

And suddenly Ninja VS. Pirates Party turned into Anime :P

Objection

Objection said:

I actually always like it when a game offers add-on, but first the game itself must be worth buying. Let's hope this one pulls ahead of its predecessors.

Terra

Terra said:

Admittedly, IMO, Ninja's would have been better. I think Ninja's would win in that fight anyday.

Toddr

Toddr said:

Maybe that they put out a game that got a 3/10, then they released a game that got an 8/10.

Awesome5

Awesome5 said:

"everyone knows that ninjas pwn pirates by now surely?"
No, pirates own ninjas!

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

So essentially its a board game with pirates? Ill pass.

But whats with the E10+? What could possibly give this the 10+?

Sycoraxic98

Sycoraxic98 said:

Ugh, for the LAST time!!!

WWW rates games based on their OWN opinion! As for BPlus, Plattchen is my favorite game on WiiWare by a CONSIDERABLE margin!!! Niki is not QUITE as good, maybe an 8 or 7/10, but great! Plattchen in my books would be a 9/10.

As for THIS game, however, it's bound to 'plunder' a 3, IMO.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

Family Pirate Party? Those 3 words made this title a purchase that'll never become a reality lol
Pirates are so overrated. Ninjas and Macho Commandos are were its at!

"Keep in mind, that I've spent almost 200 hours on the game, AND have beaten Classic mode 100%!"

Wow aren't you the puzzle player!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Sycoraxic98: I wouldn't go guessing the score yet (unless Corbie's reviewing ;)), but I agree with what you said about Bplus's things. I'm just kinda angry that you beat me to ranting at Toddr :(
You can't base your entire judgement on one review, Toddr.

themortalangel

themortalangel said:

This could be much better and I hope for Aksys' sake it is. We've all wanted Mario Party this could subdue us for a while.

Toddr

Toddr said:

@ wiiloveit
I know that, but maybe he was basing what he said on just the reviews from here. B plus's first game was given a 3/10 and their second was given an 8/10. Aksys's games have been given bad reviews, so he's hoping this will get a good one like niki did.

Kamuki

Kamuki said:

I loved Family Table Tennis and Glide Hockey. I'm skeptical about this one though.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

I think by now they should ditch the franchise name, it stands for failing at even the most trivial tasks.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I can see this being a big success for the casual market as a cheap alternative to a board game the entire family can get into.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@wiiloveit: Nice job with the Corbie joke :P

You know what we need on WiiWare; Uno. I got it on the 360, and its pretty fun. It'll be the perfect fit for WW. Family friendly. Good. Online play. Great local multiplayer. And best of all, its fun :)

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Probably the only Family game so far worth buying, IMO. This was entitled Family Parcheesi if memory serves. And DLC is the only thing that's new for me. I knew about this announcement already. I hope the DLC is worth it. I'm sure they won't disappoint like with what happened with FFCCMLK and SIGE.

@Bahamut: UNO IS coming out... I'm just desperately hoping for online play. Maybe even Wii Speak?

Oh and it's E10+ for MCV and Suggestive Themes. The latter of which stems from Mommy's costume for sure, but from what I read, there's more to it. This is taken from ESRB's summary:

• "During the course of the game, a female character's breasts jiggle whenever she jumps in the air. One still image depicts a young woman, with exaggerated breast size, wearing an outfit that exposes deep cleavage."

That's what ESRB says.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

@Bahamut/WLI: You're all perverted, y'know that? XD lol.

Anyway, I was taken aback by that because up until that point, I only thought it was because of Mommy's costume which, admittedly, wasn't THAT scanty.