USA WiiWare Update: Planet Pachinko and Jungle Speed

Posted by Damien McFerran

Hold on to your seats, guys – because today’s exciting WiiWare releases have just been confirmed!

First up we have Planet Pachinko, which might sound like a simulation of the popular Japanese gambling machine but is in fact a zany shooter where you assume the role of a robot looking for its puppy. Aww. At 500 points this could be quite appealing, and the recent interview we did with Allied Kingdoms certainly piqued our interest.

Next up is Jungle Speed. This is essentially a card game based on fast reflexes and multiplayer involvement, and at 1000 points we think it might be a little overpriced. Still, we’ll withhold final judgment until we’ve had chance to review it properly – which, as always, will be as soon as humanly possible.

Elsewhere on the ‘network’ we have some retro-tinted goodness over at Virtual Console Reviews in the shape of today’s news – fans of vintage gaming can now enjoy the excellent Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.

Related Games

Gh0stie

Gh0stie said:

I hope we get Planet Pachinko next week for PAL WiiWare week
Looks good but I'm sure I'll read the review of it first :)
EDIT: My first ever first

Pablo17

Pablo17 said:

Neither game looks that great to me. However a really good review score might make me look into one of them. I will be surprised if either scores above a 7 though.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

No surprises here! LOL. I really wanna try Jungle Speed (the Board game) but since it'll be hard to find in Canada, I'm debating if I should get WW Version. Hmmm.... If it were 500, its a must-buy, LOL.

1000 may seem a tad overpriced, yes, but when you realize its a Board game, that may re-affect your thinking. Also, Next Level Games FTW! :D

VC is a nice surprise I suppose...

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Castlevania III wins this round, but I'm looking forward to seeing it Planet Pachinko turns out to be any good or not. It has some potential from what I've seen of the trailer, but it could be a complete dud, so I'll be waiting for the review on that one.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Nothing good on Wiiware today (why does that not surprise me?), but who gives a crap? Castlevania III, baby!

mattnd2007

mattnd2007 said:

Planet Pachinko looks kinda interesting. If it gets good reviews I may get it. Especially since it is only 500 points.

AnakinOU

AnakinOU said:

Y'all are missing out...give Jungle Speed a try. The "real life" card game version is a TON of fun, and this version is only $10. A must-buy, in my book.

Kevin

Kevin said:

I wonder when a good wiiware game is gonna get released or at least Niki Rock 'n Ball.

slambert215

slambert215 said:

Jungle Speed looks ok, Pachinko looks decent.
I'll just stick to MaBoShi and Tetris Party that I bought yesterday. MaBoShi is awesome! I pwn at the circle game but square is really hard.

Terra

Terra said:

I do like the visuals of the games, Pachinko especially. Jungle Speed looks alright but nothing Special. 1000 points is a bit much for a card game but then again, i think people said the same thing about High Voltage's game at 700. Planet Pachinko sounds like a good buy. My next points card buys should consist of these sets of games. They would be either Lostwinds, New Adventure Island and Pit Crew Panic, or my other set would probably be Planet Panchinko, Niki, Pit Crew Panic and Pop Them, Drop Them Samegame (when released)

Objection

Objection said:

If nothing else, we went back up to 3 games! Just kidding, C3 is cool, & Planet Pachinko could be good, considering I like the genre & its only 500. Jungle Speed looks like a pass @ 1000. Who's reviewing what, by the way? (doesnt matter, just curious)
@Terranigma-You haven't picked up LW yet? Do so! It may be only 2-3 hrs long, but its really great and I personally got decent replay out of it (have beaten it 3 times so far.)

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

At 500 points this could be quite appealing
I first read that sentence as "appalling" rather than appealing... oops.

MaBoShi is awesome! I pwn at the circle game but square is really hard.
Same here - although I've been getting increasingly good at the stick game.

Hello there, Playful Entertainment propaganda person - how are you doing?

Also: who's reviewing these two games.
And... what's everyone hoping to get in Europe next week? I'm hoping for Liight, Snowboard Riot and Pop Up Pirate (hell... why not?!?), although it would be nice to see Tiki Towers and MadStone make their way over here soon as well.

@Terranigma: You said Pit Crew Panic twice... I doubt it's that good.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Cool...I honestly don't give a flying...practices self-control...I'm not interested in any of these, but still, it's nice to know they're here.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@Corbie: Prediction-7/10 :P

Looking forward to the reviews. I remember when they used to come out in a few hours. But, now the reviews are more accurate and info-filled, so its a nice trade off :)

Terra

Terra said:

Corbie, what is your new Avatar of? It reminds me a bit of the Rhombus boss in Elite Beat Agents

@Objection_Blaster
I will try to soon. I wanted to get it with my last points card but my brother wanted Tetris, so i got that and Secret of Mana. I'll probably end up buying that. Also, i need to save up as i head off to Rome in two months, so i need some spending money and the fact that i just helped pay for a copy of Webplus 10 for a birthday gift.

@Wiiloveit
"You said Pit Crew Panic twice... I doubt it's that good."
I said it twice as i had two different lists of games i would probably get when i get another points card. I went to a friend's the other day and he had it downloaded, so i tried it and think it's quite good for 500 (In Europe anyway). I changed the post to make it more clear.

AnakinOU

AnakinOU said:

Wiiloveit wrote:

Hello there, Playful Entertainment propaganda person - how are you doing?

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not a Playful Entertainment propaganda person. I'm just a long-time video game player who also is a huge board and card game fan. I'm not encouraging everyone to get Jungle Speed, but merely to not write it off as "just a card game." Jungle Speed (the physical card game) is a tremendously fun game, and a great match for WiiWare. It's getting a lot of disrespect in this thread, from people who haven't even tried it....which is disappointing. I'm simply saying it's worth a try, even at 1000 points (hell, the physical card game, which doesn't have all the features of the WiiWare game, has a $21.99 MSRP).

Pablo17

Pablo17 said:

Actually I have read good things about the actual card game Jungle Speed. However, it may work better as a card game than as a video game but I will wait for the review. Also, a 1000 points may be a little much.

Hungry

Hungry said:

I already downloaded PP since it was only 5 bucks. The gameplay is fun and kind of addictive. And the text is actually kind of funny too.

slambert215

slambert215 said:

@Wiiloveit
The bar game is pretty fun too. The thing I hate about square is that if you get to the top you can't see what's ahead. You do get more points but instant death doen't make that good of a trade off. Circle>Bar>Square.

@Terringma
OMG ELITE BEAT AGENTS PWNSSSSSSS
Ok had to get that out of my system. The avatar really looks like it though.

ON TOPIC
Jungle Speed actually looks like fun based on what people said. The graphics in Pachinko look AWFUL though.

mojo25

mojo25 said:

Hey guys. Can you help me decide if I should get Castlevania 3? I have never played any of the series, so I'm not sure if I will be good. Any advice?

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@AnakinOU-So have you played the wiiware junglespeed yet? I wasn't so sure about it (sounded like Slapjack). Looked it up. Might be interesting. Have to see how much there is to it.
Funny thing is, I don't think I'd heard of the real game before this. Seems some people really like it. I guess it must be decent. I really like Uno myself. Is it as fun as that?

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

As I don't usually play videogames with others at my place, I'd rather buy the physical version of Jungle Speed, since I can carry that one with me and take it to a friend's house. I'm not intetested on Planet Pachinko, but a very good review may change my mind.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

I really feel out of the loop on this Jungle Speed game. Where'd everyone else hear of the real Jungle Speed game? I guess it's been out for a little bit. Can't get it in just any store can you?

Valoisian

Valoisian said:

@AnakinOU - You a fellow Oklahoman? Also wondering if you are a member of JediOKC with Vader there in your avatar.

I can definitely see me getting Jungle Speed...as well as UNO when it comes out or any card/ccg-type games.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

I'm a HUGE Board Game fan also and I heard JSpeed IS really fun! :D AnakinOU, don't worry. If anyone shares your appreciation for Board Games, it's me. Trust me. :)

I love how Wiiloveit so quickly jumped to conclusions....

Killraven

Killraven said:

hey knuckles. do you frequent www.boardgamegeek.com? if not it's really good site for boardgame information and news.

Adam

Adam said:

If only they'd put Cosmic Encounter on WiiWare. There's a board / card game I'd buy up in an instant.

axelay80

axelay80 said:

I second Cosmic Encounter, although I just ordered the new boardgame version. There are a ton of great Eurogames that take a long time to set up and would benefit from going digital. Still, all that tactile feel will be lost, and there would be no board to flip or bits to throw when someone gets upset.

maka

maka said:

@KnucklesSonic8 Try here: http://www.boardgames.ca
@AnakinOU: I got the same treatment on a recent thread about Jungle Speed here... don't worry. Some people are just paranoid...

I agree though this game might be just better as a physical card game, unless it could be played online. Wiiware would be perfect for online boardgames, much better than the x-box which is getting all of them...

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

@maka, AnakinOU and KillRaven: I just became a new member of BGG last week. But for YEARS I've wanted to join. Dunno what took me so long. lol. Especially since I've developed MANY prototypes for my own Board Games! :D

Virus

Virus said:

Here's to hoping Planet Pachinko gets a good review. What with de Blob, Wario Land: Shake it, and Kirby's Dream Land 3, I'm now on a platformer high and looking for more.

maka

maka said:

"Either way, with Jungle Speed coming to WiiWare, this opens up the genre of Board Games much more to developers. we already know UNO is coming but what else could we see..? I can't help but feel that Monopoly should have been WiiWare but anyways... I'd love to play board games online as maka stated, which is why I'm hoping GameLoft actually bothers to add Online Play to their iteration of UNO."

I'm not a fan of Monopoly... Yeah, it sells a lot, but there are many better games. You can already play Settlers of Catan and Lost Cities on X-Box. While I'm not such a fan of so called "Eurogames", these are two excellent games that would fit perfect with the wii controls. I hope we can start seeing those games on wiiware...

Of course, online play is a must...

Bensei

Bensei said:

Seems that there are a lot of developers trying the 500 Points Track.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

So... Bang! and Niki for America next week then? I'm expecting one of them to be released in America soon. I'm also expecting Beer Pong / Pong Toss for Europe soon.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

High Voltage Voltage Hot Rod Show is a certain for next week. Who knows what other surprise we might get!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Terranigma: KK - from what I've seen, it just looks like half of Home Sweet Home - it's very similar in the building stages, but the designing feature has been removed, along with half the price. Fair enough, there's the multiplayer, but I'll likely only get it when there's a multiplayer drought or when I've got 500 points spare (although I'm also thinking of getting Boulder Dash for 500 points as well)
@AnakinOU: Awwww... That would have been so cool if I'd guessed correctly. Ah well... :|