Top 20 WiiWare Games in USA (21st Jan)

Posted by Corbie Dillard

It's Wednesday again which can only mean one thing. It's time to take a look at the most popular WiiWare titles available in the Wii Shop. If you're feeling adventurous you can even take a look for yourself by simply logging on to your Wii Shop channel, heading into the WiiWare section and then viewing "Popular Games". It's that simple! Trust us, if we can do it, anyone can.

We compile this list using the USA region Wii Shop channel, so if you live elsewhere your list will probably be quite a bit different. Please feel free to post your region's findings below as always.

Keep in mind that the list below is a measure of actual sales made recently, not of the total time the game has been available for sale.

Here is the list for the 21st of January:

16 (16) - Mega Man 9
17 (17) - Frat Party Games - Pong Toss
18 (18) - Bomberman Blast
19 (19) - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
20 (20) - Sudoku Challenge

N denotes a new entry

Well as hard as it tried, Cue Sports - Pool Revolution couldn't break into the Top 3. It seems the reign of the "Big Three" will continue with no real end in sight. I guess we could label Sandy Beach as the newest contender to knock one of the top 3 out, since it's now at #5 right behind Cue Sports - Pool Revolution.

Not one new game broke into the Top 20 this week and in truth there wasn't a lot of big movements on this week's charts other than Konami's Sandy Beach, which was this week's big climber jumping 7 spots to #5. The biggest dropper was Tiki Towers, which fell a paltry 2 spots to #11. Most of the other games moved only one spot if they moved at all. Not a terribly interesting Top 20 this week to be sure.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

It tastes SO GOOd!
sooo goo has been king for how many weeks now?
I doubt anything can topple it

why the hell is sandy beach even in top 20?

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

No new games? Ah well, I suppose we'll have to wait another week.
I'll post the UK chart up tomorrow - can't do it just now, I'm afraid.

UK WiiWare Charts (Tommorrow, the 22nd of Jan)
1) World of Goo
16) Pit Crew Panic!
17) LostWinds
18) Art Style: ORBIENT
19) Niki: Rock 'n' Ball
20) Art Style: CUBELLO

THE Wiiloveit ALTERNATIVE TO Djungelurban's WALL OF TEXT
Games that NEED to move down next week:
My Bloody Aquarium; TV Show King; The Incredible Maze; Brain Challenge; My Pokemon Ranch
Special - well...only - goodbye
Strong Bad: 8 Bit Is Enough
Special Return
Art Style: CUBELLO
IN YOUR FACE of the week
Nintendo, for thinking that ONLY releasing Lonpos last Friday will get them some sales
"Wow, they're still there?" award:
Wild West Guns
What we can expect next week Friday:
Snowboard Riot; Jungle Speed; Sandy Beach; Pop Up Pirate; Equilibrio; Family Glide Hockey
Games that have been PEGI rated that we may expect this Friday (although the chances aren't that high):
Beer Pong; Bruiser & Scratch; Groovin' Blocks; Protothea; Family Party; Manic Monkey Mayhem;

Sorry for the close similarities to the last "WoT Alternative" - blame Nintendo and their bloomin' Lonpos.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I was kinda hoping Jungle Speed would crack the Top 20 this week. Guess it wasn't meant to be. :)

Pablo17

Pablo17 said:

Yes, Jungle Speed is very good. However, if I didn't read the review here first, there is no way I would have picked it up.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

I cant say Im suprised. Shaking things up with a new WoG pic though :)

@Corbie: DOnt reccomend JS please. Ive spen enough money from reading your reviews (though it was money well spent) :P

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

What I find funny is that all of my friends knew what Jungle Speed was and I didn't. In fact, everyone I've spoken to about the game knows all about it, so I thought that might translate into it making the jump onto the charts. Guess not. :)

Pablo17

Pablo17 said:

@Corbie Jungle Speed (the actual game) just doesn't seem like it would translate to a video game very well. I mean, grabbing for the totem is part of the fun. However, the Wiiware version of Jungle Speed really captures that element and the entire games translates very well.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

"4 (8) - Cue Sports - Pool Revolution
[...]
9 (8) - Brain Challenge"

Um, something's wrong here. Was Brain Challenge on #4 last week?

Objection

Objection said:

"Not a terribly interesting Top 20 this week to be sure." Well, to be honest with the big 3 and no real surprises, that would be most weeks. With WOG being No.1 for months now, I fully expect 2Dboy to announce some new project (announce, mind you) very soon.

tatemon555

tatemon555 said:

I agree with comment 1, yet I also agree with comment 2. Cave Story will be awesome and will hopefully break into the top ten, but Corbie has a point that not all good games on WiiWare have great sales right away. And also, I think that there should be a top ten list on VC-Reviews.com.
PS: Nice avatar, KeeperBvK.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Maybe Jungle Speed did better on the Canadian charts? I'm REALLY enjoying the game also. Definitely was worth the points from what I've played thus far with family.

Canadian charts?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

That's a good point Pablo17. I too didn't think it was going to be very good on the WiiWare after playing the real game for the first time that afternoon.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Future list rockers:

• Bubble Bobble Wii
  • Cave Story
  • Bit Trip
  • Evasive Space
  • Family Steel-Cage Deathmatch
shadows262

shadows262 said:

Big three go again this week.
Bomberman Blast is almost outta site which is disappointing I`d say.
@Gabbo
Yeah but I bet people were pissed when they bought it.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Are you f-ing kidding me? One puny game? One craptacular money pit in disguise to boot! Dammit! I bet this game won't chart either. Serves it right, being a Nintendo game and all. Seriously NOE, give us a few good games already, right? Or atleast more then one eveny other week... sigh Anyways...

Here's the Swedish top 20:
(9) 12 - Cue Sports: Snooker vs Billiards
(16) 13 - Niki - Rock & Ball
(15) 14 - Art Style: Orbient
(-) 15 - Cocoto Fishing Master
(13) 16 - The Incredible Maze
(11) 17 - Defend Your Castle
(18) 18 - Sudoku Challenge!
(20) 19 - Midnight Bowling
(-) 20 - Helix

This week the WoT may inform you that:

• In the top little is changing. World of Goo, Fun! Fun! Minigolf, Mega Man 9 and My Aquarium all remain in their respective spots from last week.
  • However, when going down to 8th we find one game that breaks from the established norm. After spending 12 weeks on the charts without ever leaving top 5, this week Tetris Party slips down 3 spots. Does this mean that the game will soon join Dr Mario in the wasteland just below the top 20? Not with the current release rate maybe but atleast it's an indication.
  • Jumping down to 9th we find the biggest climber of the week, climbing 5 spots from 14th. I'd really like for High Voltage to pay attention now. Because apparently the Swedish audience is so starved for a racing game of any kind that they are willing to pony up for a complete dud like SPOGS Racing. And this game wasn't even charting 4 weeks ago! That just has to be incentive enough for HVS to release High Voltage Hot Rod Show in Europe... Right?
  • In 12th we find Cue Sports: Snooker vs Billiards, down 3 spots from last week's 9th. On the way out or just the precursor of an upcoming bobbing up and down period that has happened so many times before with other titles? Either way, it's performed better in the charts than its main compeditor Midnight Pool, atleast so far.
  • Niki - Rock & Ball is climbing again, this week its up 3 spots to 13th which also is its best position so far in the charts. Slowly but surely it seems to be heading towards safer ground after barely escaping two weeks ago. This might actually turn out to be our first genuine word-of-mouth hit.
  • Further down we find our first of two returnees. Cocoto Fishing Master re-enters the charts in 15th. Can't say I'm too surprised seeing it return as the Wii is so obviously suitable to fishing gaming... I just kinda wish it didn't.
  • The (Not So) Incredible Maze is still dancing around in the mid to low 10's although the tendency seems to be heading south. Let's hope that this is just not me being a victim of wishful thinking and that this week's 16th place is a sign of things to come.
  • Biggest faller this week is Defend Your Castle, droping 6 spots to 17th. It's interesting to note that last weeks premiere appearance of DYC on the bottom half of the chart was followed by the previously almost frightfully stable game's biggest drop. Does this mean that its market is almost tapped out? I obviously can't know for sure but things have sure looked better for the game than now.
  • Finally in 20th we find the second returnee which is Helix. Yup...
  • This means that a Gameloft duo had to leave us this week. TV Show King leaving was expected to happen sooner or later seeing as it has hovered around to bottom there for ages aswell as being a launch title. However, the comparitively early departure of Brain Challenge puzzles me a bit, I was sure this was the kind of accessible casual thing that the masses would just devour whole. But I guess not. However, given how erratic this chart is, I don't think it's too bold to predict that we'll see both these games back on the chart before too long.

Yup, this is the chart. Lonpos couldn't make it in its first week but I doubt anyone was even a tiny bit surprised by that. Probably won't chart next week either seeing as it's kinda ugly and stupid and bottomless money pit and a puzzle game. Got plenty of games like that already thank you very much. No new games this Friday either so next week will be kinda samey I'm sure... I mean, of course they could surprise me with a new release structure but I've grown bitter and do not believe that such things will happen anymore.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

Thank you Whatever Mod changed my name back :)

Anyway, I think WoG will be number one until either:

A) Everyone in the world has it
or
B) The World Ends (with you. Sorry, I just had to :P )

Im hoping its letter one though :)

slambert215

slambert215 said:

@Chicken Brutus
Don't forget Family Graffiti Tag and Family Bounty Hunter. (I know they're bad, I just thought of them =D)

It just goes to show, 500 point games SELL.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@slambert: No, Familty Graffiti Tag got cancelled. It's now Familty Shooting Gallery :P

This actually made me think, Im suprised there isnt a Paintball game for the Wii yet. PB is very popular were I live (in High School and below people anyway), so I think that it would make a decent sale.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ Bahamut ZERO - Now who do you think changed it back? But I see one more mention of a seven and it's permanent! :)

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@Corbie: I actually thought it was you. You're the only one here who actually cares about.............

Hey, wait a minute! It was YOU who turned me into a 7 :D

Anything Corbie touches turbns to Sevens :P

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Yeah but Sandy Beach sounds warm and inviting.
Cave Story sounds dark and scary. (Who likes caves?)

Oh well, we'll see.
But we have to remember, by the time Cave Story comes out, there'll be several more games on the WiiWare service, so it'll be even harder to crack the top 20.
And yes Snoopy is great.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Quote Djungelurban:
"Here's the Swedish top 20:
.......
(14) 9 - SPOGS Racing
.......
Because apparently the Swedish audience is so starved for a racing game of any kind that they are willing to pony up for a complete dud like SPOGS Racing. And this game wasn't even charting 4 weeks ago!......."
Unquote.

You mean that dumb piece of crap junk garbage is actually making a comeback in your territory? Ugggh, what kind of dope are those Swedish gamers on? (no offense to Djungelurban or any other person who frequents this site) - Like a fool, I downloaded SPOGs the day it came out. The only game I've ever played that makes a three minute race feel like three hours, as well as worst "rubber band" mode I've ever seen. Mario Kart Wii, in comparison, makes a three minute race feel like three seconds, w00t!

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@alexsays
Eh, Sandy Beach never caught my attention...did you download it?

I just hope animales and swords and soldiers comes out before Cave Story. And yeah as more games release and the more the downloading continues its just gunna get harder for the newer games to get really anywhere(but thats the complete opposite for WoG)

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

I download Sandy Beach? Heck no.
I live right by a beach and I never even play with that one. lol

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

"4. cheeseman
@Corbie
Why did you change your picture? The skeloton is much better."
Don't listen to him; I think your new avatar is awesome!!!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Well it was time to retire the grim reaper. I'd used him since I started working for the sites so I felt it was time for something new. I kinda like this new one myself. And thanks StarDust for the vote of confidence on the new avatar. :)

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

I'm actually slightly repulsed by Corbie's new avatar.

Not sure why he can't pick a cute and cuddly one like mine.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@slambert215
Yeah, those will be great. I'm definitely waiting for Family Cow Tipping and Family Pub Crawl, though. What a great series this is turning out to be after all! :-)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

AlexSays it's only natural that I pick the creepy avatars. You are abrasive therefore you choose a cute and cuddly avatar to go against the grain. I am a nice guy therefore I choose an evil avatar. There's a sick and twisted rhyme and reason to the whole thing. :)

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Abrasive? Oh hell no.
When I become a mod you'll be the first to go.

...Mods can ban other mods, right?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

There's only one problem. I pick the mods. What do you think your chances are now? :P

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Sandy Beach made a hell of a jump. Didn't that game suck ass though? And the top 3 are still standing strong, as usual.

@Corbie: What exactly is your avatar anyways? I recognize it, I just can't place my finger on it ....... It's neat though.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

What the heck is "Sandy Beach" doing up there!?!
Except for the SPOGS return the swedish chart rules!

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

@StarDust
Yep, I'm sad to say that that is the case here. And since you brought it up I decided to check the charts again just now and wouldn't you know... SPOGS has climbed another spot to 8th...

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@Corbie: You pick the mods? Fascinating, I learn more about the internet every day here :D

I personally believe on April Fools Day, you change it into a heart or something, you know, so the rest of us here cna see nice Corbie .

ness

ness said:

@ -TR: You don't know the sales figures of the WiiWare games, that is the problem.

vherub

vherub said:

Nintendo should either update the wiiware shopping experience, or move to a top 30 list

cheeseman

cheeseman said:

@42. Corbie

I've thought about what you said about nedding a new picture and I admit you're right. I didn't mean to be rude.

:'( <I'm Sorry.

(Now I need to find a new pic for myself.) ;)

cheeseman

cheeseman said:

@52. -TR

I unfourtonely don't. I need to stop buying VC for a while and get World of Goo.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I am a nice guy therefore I choose an evil avatar.
I'm saying nothing.

Oh, and the UK charts with the "Djungelurban's Wall of Text" alternative are now up! (Comment 6)

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ Corbie -- So I just have to win you over?
In that case I take back that thing about me banning you.

......

And your avatar is lovely.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ cheeseman - I didn't think you were being rude. It was an honest statement. I guess I just got tired of the grim reaper. :)

@ AlexSays - You're too kind. :)

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

You're too kind.

Foots in the door!

How would we know if we are a mod or not? Am I a mod by chance?

You'd know if you were picked to help manage the site. lol
Mods are users that can moderate others, as in deleting offensive posts, etc etc.
But since the site doesn't sport too many members as of yet (and most here are fairly well-mannered), I'm not sure Dazza Corbie and friends need any help.

Objection

Objection said:

While we're on the topic, I'd like to be a mod if another one is needed. I like to think I've been pretty good since the site's launch and I come to the website a couple times a day on average. <--Nerd

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@Objection:I see you, Wiiloveit, and Alex the most. Either of you should be the next mod. But you know, I come here a lot too.......

Maybe we can have a game show, and the prize is be a WWW mod :P

@Corbie:I prefer Grim myself, but whatevr makes me a mod- I MEAN MAKES YOU HAPPY! Happy, yeah, lets go with that...

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

I'm glad I started this. Let's all be mods!
(bans everyone I don't like)

But really I don't think it's as glamorous as some people think.
You have to be careful of what you say because you now help represent the site and the only real "power" is managing the content of offensive posts, which sounds tedious.

I threw my name in the hat as a joke but it's nice to see it's a highly sought out position. lol
(and in no way does that mean Corbie uses a hat and scraps of paper to pick mods)

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Yay for Corbie's avatar!

I come to the website a couple times a day on average.
I check it at least five times, so nyah!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

@ alex and corbie
Mod wars sounds like it could make a great game. They could put on Wii Ware and you have to manage and delete bad posts as they come up. I gonna say it should go for 1,000 wii points

Objection

Objection said:

@Wiiloveit-Well, if it's a fight to see who's the biggest loser- DING DING! - This is my 1,009th comment on WWW! (You can check your own # by going to "my account" and then user profile, and then comments) And when I said a few-that refers to a day when WWW does not post anything. If I get involved in a discussion, I play the Refresh Game and/or come back at odd times in the day to see if anyone said anything interesting or replied to something I said. Alright, your turn.
@shadx-I agree. But it sounds more like a 500 pt idea.
EDIT: +2 comments. (See below. ;) )

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

Sooooooooooooooo......... How did we get into this disscussion anyway :D

If WWW made a game, even if it sucked I would buy it.
The villian could be a Grim reaper named Corbie that transforms into a hat (which then picks the next mod) :P

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Objection_Blaster: You win... but not by too much: I'm on 927. I wonder who's posted the most altogether?
I do that too. I know, I didn't really use my imagination there, but I do. Well, whenever I'm online. I've actually be trying to wean myself off WWW, since I recently found myself spending a bit too much time on here rather than doing my own stuff.

@WWW Game: Hows about a game called The Corbinator where you go around a virtual web server changing everyone's display pictures to something they hate? The more they hate it, the more points they earn. Plus, there could be a special feature where you get to browse the actual WWW website, and at the end of every day, a random picture will be selected (randomly) and allocated to an actual user. I'd happily pay anything up to 700 Wii Points... unless there's DLC / leaderboards :D

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

70. Objection_Blaster: "If I get involved in a discussion, I play the Refresh Game and/or come back at odd times in the day to see if anyone said anything interesting or replied to something I said" I do that exact same thing.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

This is probely the most interesting disscussion I've seen on WWW. I guess the moderator position is more wanted than I thought.

I've only got 200-300 posts (forgot exact number), but Im workin my way up. One day I'll top you OB :D

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Bahamut ZERO: I've certainly been seeing a lot more of you recently. Either way, it'll take a looong time to beat OB from where you're standing now.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@OB, #70. I do that too. During the 3 or so times I visit this site every day, I press the WWW home button at LEAST a dozen times. I do the same thing at VC-R and VC-F.

I only have 521 comments here, but I have around 570 at VC-R and almost 300 at VC-Forums, which equals around 1390 comments, if those sites count. :P

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@Wiiloveit: Yeah I always came to this site since it started, but just became a member recently.

Well, maybe you can dethrone OB. Ill be rooting for you :D

Objection

Objection said:

@Ricardo- Well, you can be happy with beating me @ VC-R, though that's because I've hardly been there since WWW went up. I have "only" 219 comments there. So yeah, I'm a WW, not a VC person. PS, no forums don't count in this little contest of ours.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

80 posts, with 50 of them about mods and post amounts :P

too am a WW person, VC I only check like once a day. With WW fresh new titles could be announced at any minute.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@OB/Ricardo: I'm definitely a WWW person, with a mere 49 posts at VC-Revs and 75 on Nintendo Life.

In addition to this little debate: WWW is also at the top of my list of most viewed pages on the Google Chrome home page.