Top 20 WiiWare Games in USA (14th Jan)

Posted by Corbie Dillard

It's Wednesday again which can only mean one thing. It's time to take a look at the most popular WiiWare titles available in the Wii Shop. If you're feeling adventurous you can even take a look for yourself by simply logging on to your Wii Shop channel, heading into the WiiWare section and then viewing "Popular Games". It's that simple! Trust us, if we can do it, anyone can.

We compile this list using the USA region Wii Shop channel, so if you live elsewhere your list will probably be quite a bit different. Please feel free to post your region's findings below as always.

Keep in mind that the list below is a measure of actual sales made recently, not of the total time the game has been available for sale.

Here is the list for the 14th of January:

16 (13) - Mega Man 9
17 (17) - Frat Party Games - Pong Toss
18 (16) - Bomberman Blast
19 (18) - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
20 (19) - Sudoku Challenge

N denotes a new entry

The broken record continues as the big three are still firmly in place. We thought Fun! Fun! Minigolf might knock one of the top 3 out, but it seems to have fallen a place to #5. Our new challenger comes in the form of Cue Sports - Pool Revolution, which has now moved up to the #4 spot and is threatening. Guess we'll have to wait until next week to see if it can finally knock one of the big guns off their roost at the top of the WiiWare charts.

The big climber this month was Sandy Beach which came flying in from off the charts completely up to #12. The biggest dropper this month was My Pokemon Ranch which fell 4 spots to #13. You gotta give it credit, it's held on quite well for some time now.

Pong Toss is holding steady at #17 and Mega Man 9 is continuing its weekly drop falling another 3 spots this month to #16. Is the blue bomber on his way off the charts? Maybe he'll make a surprise comeback next week.

Terra

Terra said:

Looks like Final Fantasy will finally slip off the charts. World of Goo at No.1 is no surprise. Hudson seem to be nearly completely dominating the top of the WiiWare Charts. I Am surprised Mega Man 9 isn't higher up but not all good games can be up there I guess.

Don't usually do this but

YES! First comment. Haven't done that in ages

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I'm still amazed at how well World of Goo is doing, whilst it is saddening that Toss Bags, My Aquarium and Brain Challenge are disallowing other games into the top 10 (MEGA MAAAAN!). At least Sudoku Challenge is falling...

And dammit, Terranigma: I thought I was going to have my second "first comment" in one evening :(

I'll post the UK charts up tomorrow evening, unless someone beats me to it :O

ADDED: UK WiiWare Charts
15) Pit Crew Panic!
16) LostWinds
17) SPACE INVADERS GET EVEN
18) Art Style: ORBIENT
19) Strong Bad Episode 5 8-Bit Is (Just) Enough
20) Niki - Rock 'n' Ball
They said it was incredible...

*THE ALL NEW Wiiloveit ALTERNATIVE TO Djungelurban's WALL OF TEXT

• TOTALLY WRONG games positioning of the week:
    My Bloody Aquarium; The Incredible Maze; Niki - Rock 'n' Ball; Strong Bad Episode 5 8-Bit Is (Just) Enough (To Get Into The Top 20)
  • Congratulations to:
    FUN! FUN! Minigolf; 2D Boy; CueSports - SvB
  • Games that NEED to move down next week:
    My Bloody Aquarium; TV Show King; The Incredible Maze; Defend your Castle
  • Special goodbye
    Art Style "how are you?" CUBELLO
  • "Wow, they're still there?" award:
    TV Show King
  • What we can expect this Friday:
    Snowboard Riot; Jungle Speed; Sandy Beach; Pop Up Pirate; Equilibrio; Family Glide Hockey
  • Games that have been PEGI rated that we may expect this Friday (although the chances aren't that high):
    Beer Pong; Bruiser & Scratch; Groovin' Blocks; Protothea; Family Party; Manic Monkey Mayhem;
Sycoraxic98

Sycoraxic98 said:

XD, I NEVER get a first comment, but ah well. Weird list, I don't like that My Shovelware Ranch is so high, above SO MANY good games!

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

If World of Goo continues to sell this well, WWW is eventually gonna run out of WoG pics. :P
At least Digital Leisure's other turd is on it's way out.
And I forgot to say before, awesome new avy, Corbs!

Edit: MEGA MAN!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Terra

Terra said:

@Wiiloveit
I Win this time.
Muwahahahahaha. :D

Clears Throat
Sorry about that. Anyway, you may still get to the Jungle Speed review first. You can still get a second 1st comment.

GabboStaff

Gabbo said:

My hat's off to Target Toss Pro: Bags. It's the best sports game on the Wii.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Hey, is that a dare Wiiloveit? And you shouldn't complain about Mega Man 9's chart position there, if I'm not wrong that game dropped out of the UK charts last week. Shame on you...

Anyway, after a few weeks of "problematic circumstances" the Swedish charts is now back in normal fashion. This includes this largely meaningless blurb in the beginning of the post, various anecdotes about minor details and of course the glorious wall of text! Rejoice! And despite that this week wasn't a release week it was a very significant one for a very specific reason. More on that later though. First of all, the chart:

Here's the Swedish top 20:
(15) 12 - My Pokémon Ranch
(14) 13 - The Incredible Maze
(13) 14 - SPOGS Racing
(17) 15 - Art Style: Orbient
(20) 16 - Niki - Rock & Ball
(18) 17 - Brain Challenge
(19) 18 - Sudoku Challenge!
(12) 19 - TV Show King
(16) 20 - Midnight Bowling

And on the wall of text we can read that:

• World Of Goo is predictably enough still holding on to 1st place. Mega Man 9 spent 10 weeks in first in total, let's see if World Of Goo can beat that. My prediction is yes.
  • Following in 2nd is last week's new entry and future predicted chart plague Fun! Fun! Minigolf. I've always known that Swedes in general have a special infatuation with minigolf but even I'm surprised by how well it's doing.
  • Mega Man 9 is 3rd, climbing one spot and thereby again proving that Swedes taste in gaming are superior to all other nationalities. Just look at the brits, it's not even charting there. Probably cause there's no Football Man in the game.
  • In 8th we find Bomberman Blast which climbs 3 spots from 11th. It had a little dip there for a few weeks but it seems everything is back to normal now...
  • Switching positions with Bomberman is Defend Your Castle. Last week it was in 8th and now it's 11th. Something to note is that this is the first week that the game drops below 10th in Sweden.
  • Stupid kiddies. They get a Wii for Christmas and of course they just have every single Pokémon related product available that they could possibly have. And therefore My Pokémon Ranch returned to the charts on New Years Eve after being absent for 5 weeks and it's been rising ever since. I thought we were rid of this stink bomb once and for all but no, the diaper demographic had to come around and screw everything up. Stupid kiddies... The game climbs 3 spots to 12th this week.
  • After looking like it was in serious trouble last week, Niki - Rock & Ball jumped back to a bit safer ground (not that any ground is safe on the Swedish chart, just ask Alien Crush) this week. It climbs 4 to 16th and is with that the climber of the week.
  • Faller of the week is TV Show King, dropping a 7 spots to 19th. Usually I would view this as a sign of it being in trouble but it's been bouncing around like that for weeks so before we know it, it'll be back to 12th I'm sure. The chart behavior of casual bait is as always bizarre.
  • Falling aswell is Midnight Bowling to 20th. Hopefully it'll leave the charts for good next week...
  • Now, attentive readers might have noticed something here, there's a game missing. Sure, it was missing last week too but that's hardly new. Several games have failed to chart in its first week and instead been needing a full 7 days of sales in order to chart. But this is a first. This is the FIRST time in the Swedish WiiWare chart's history that a title has failed to appear in the charts in the first 2 weeks since its release. And that game is Strong Bad Ep.5 - 8-Bit Is Enough. This is just a spectacular failure and another evidence that the Strong Bad franchise is trouble. Also, judging by the chart behavior of previous Strong Bad release I dare to proclaim that Strong Bad 5 will be the first game to NEVER chart in Sweden. Who would have expected that back in August when episode 1 soared into top 3 with ease...

Next week we'll have plenty of new games (4 of them hopefully or I'll get really cranky) so there'll be plenty of action in the charts I'm sure. And that's all folks.

Pablo17

Pablo17 said:

I am glad to see Target Toss Pro and Fun! Fun! Minigolf doing well as they are probably my most played wiiware games.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

It's not fair for Space Invaders Get Even to drop off already with Pong Toss still up there. I guess the DLC issue is scaring people off from getting SIGE.

Objection

Objection said:

"Space Invaders Get Even left so soon! No!"
Was that this week or previously? Did anything get knocked off? That's the only part I really take any interest in...

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Mr. Ricardo91: "If World of Goo continues to sell this well, WWW is eventually gonna run out of WoG pics."
I will just draw more, especially of that toad thing! (Warning: My drawings are not that great.)

Okay. My Pokémon Ranch fell. I kinda like how that game stayed for so long. Either way, come around March 22 (the supposed release date for Pokémon Platinum), the ranch will get way more downloads (perhaps regaining #1?).

By the way, according to Pokebeach.com , the DSi will be released in April 4. That system would be coming a little later than the game, yet I bet that the game will aid sales of the DSLite and DSi A LOT.
Me, I plan on buying Pokémon Platinum, but saving the DSi until after college-year-end.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Darn, it seems that someone put some glue on Pong Toss, for it to stay #17 :P.
Besides, where is MaBoShi!!!!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I figured Maboshi wouldn't even crack the Top 20 and sure enough, it hasn't. Good game, but probably not what most Wii owners would find appealing.

Virus

Virus said:

Hmmm, World of Goo's success is greatly puzzling me. It's a $15 game, it's not by Nintendo, and it's not casual! All logic would say this game should have been off the list weeks ago. Its glowing reviews help its sales, but geez, that much? Gah, my head hurts.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

@ Virus that is a great point
What else is driving the success of World of Goo then?

Mike1

Mike1 said:

@22. Shadx
Many people feel that way as well about Mega Man 9 being the best game. The only people that say they hate Mega Man 9 are soccer moms and wimps who can't handle the difficulty.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@Virus sez, "World of Goo's success is greatly puzzling me. It's [...] not casual!"

How do you figure? World of Goo is the epitome of casual gaming! It's pick up and play, great for quick gaming sessions, doesn't require incredible gaming skills, yet allows players to find deeper challenges in clearing levels with more goo balls, etc. If that's not casual, what is?

ETSM

ETSM said:

Good to see good games topping the charts. :)

Hope these devs are making a living now...

slambert215

slambert215 said:

Can't believe Bomberman and Mega Man 9 are dropping so fast. Where is the MaBoShi love??? I just got that game and it is GREAT.

PiratePete

PiratePete said:

@ Ian Daemon: Seconded. Try the open field level on countdown, with just loads of speed boosts. Small blast radius, so fast, so funny!

Lol, you Americans! You all plead to us for MaBoShi, and you don't even buy it. Tssk...

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Sobs - is there no hope left?

Although partly because the game is only in English, and you're from Sweden. Shame that it's decreased so dramatically in sales, though. I blame episodes two and three.

PS: The UK charts are now up at comment number 2

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

The top 20 charts can be a fickle thing. When I was home over Christmas, I noticed that Paper Mario had fallen completely off the VC most popular list, and I'm like "Oh no!" so I finally blew another 1000 points to buy it. The following week, Paper Mario moved back up to number 17, and I couldn't help but feel like I had played in part of the effort to bring it back.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Although partly because the game is only in English, and you're from Sweden.
Yeah, along with 99% of all retail games out there. So the fact that it's only in English is not a problem. Actually, pretty sure a Swedish translation would have hurt sales. In fact, Sweden is often named one the countries where English proficiency is the highest, ignoring of course countries where English is there first language. And also, it did chart pretty well at first. It's just this last one that seems to have plummeted into the depths of oblivion. But yeah, you're probably right about 2 and 3 being a problem. I think that pricing and the wonky release schedule for a while there are to blame aswell.

Edit: Nice little WoT wannabe there... :P I especially like the fact that you listed likely to be released and other rated games cause I just never pay attention to what's rated or not. :)

Petwoip

Petwoip said:

Art Style Orbient ought to be up there. It is a fun and immersive game for an excellent price! However, I can understand why not many people would buy it.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

26. Mike: I'm not saying it's a bad game, infact, I've never played any mega man games except 2 and 3, I was just saying it was in your opinion that it was the best WiiWare game. Plenty of people probably agree with me, and just as many will disagree. Difficulty has nothing to do with it for me (it may for others).

In a related topic, are you able to shoot up/diagonolly in MM9?

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Wonder if (and when) they'll ever make it like Super Metroid (shoot in 7 different directions (8 when you jump and shoot down)).

Kevin

Kevin said:

I can't believe Mega Man is has sunk that low. Its definately better than the majority of the game above it.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Nice little WoT wannabe there
It was quick and easy to do, and it looks like I'm making an effort!