Semnat Studios Announces Eduardo the Samurai Toaster

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Semnat Studios has just announced Eduardo the Samurai Toaster, their first title for the WiiWare service. The game is basically set up like a good old-fashioned run 'n' gun title, but features some very quirky artwork and unique level designs.

Below is a copy of the official press release the company sent out that gives a lot of good information on this unique upcoming WiiWare title.

Indie developer Semnat Studios is excited to finally announce the upcoming Wii™ release of Eduardo the Samurai Toaster, an incredibly fast and frenetic sidescrolling, run‘n’gun 2D shooter. The game will be released exclusively for WiiWare™ this winter, developed and published by Semnat Studios.

With visuals drawn and scanned in from several different art mediums such as pen & ink, acrylic paint and charcoal, Eduardo sports an untraditional aesthetic design for a videogame. Jump, shoot, whip, drive, fly and throw your way through hordes of Peking Opera pastries, spear toting carrots, robotic mangos, and more. Play with friends as you learn to cooperate effectively, or be annoying by throwing each other around the screen and attacking one another.

FEATURES

• Drop in co-op play for up to four players.
  • Ride scooters equipped with laser-blasters and fly around in rocket packs in single player or co-op.
  • Use 5 different pastry pickups to upgrade your firepower.
  • Battle enemies through 13 unique levels.
  • Several different difficulty options to choose from, allowing players to pick their desired level of challenge.

Eduardo the Samurai Toaster has been Rated E for everyone by the ESRB.

About Semnat Studios, LLC

Daniel Coleman and Robert DeMaria formed Semnat Studios in early 2005. Starting out as a hobby, the team began working on games in 2003. After a couple of projects (one of them being an early version of Eduardo) they decided to focus more seriously on game making. So for the next several years they would work their way up, now with the support of Ian Bowie and musician Raymond Gramke, designing numerous versions of Eduardo for the PC. After working on these prototypes for a few years they found the opportunity to make a version of Eduardo for the WiiWare service on Nintendo’s Wii system. In late 2007 they began development on a new Eduardo, learning from their experience on the PC versions

We'll have more information on Eduardo the Samurai Toaster as it becomes available, as well as a full review of the game when it hits the WiiWare service later this year.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm excited about this title. The more shooters the better, I always say! :)
Plus, how can you not love a samurai toaster?

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

Looks like some enemys are poptarts. I'd like to know how they came up with an idea for a samurai toaster. Maybe they were influenced by the Tmnts, but a toaster? Hows that happen? Were they smokin something? he heh.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Wow a Samuri Toaster what next a Samuri Can Opener
They're saving that for the sequel. :)

Nickname

Nickname said:

Gunstar heroes + 2 more playable characters+ drawn scenarios + SCOOTERS WITH LASERS!!! (HELL YEAH! ) + a lot of levels =
EPIC WIN!!!

Plus it's a Samurai Toast, don't tell me it isn't cool.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Olimar_91

Olimar_91 said:

This looks awesome. I wish more developers would go for 2D visuals such as this instead of sub-par 3D graphics.

Can't wait to see more on this game. :)

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

OH. MY. GOD.

WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT
(takes a deep breath)
WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT...

This one's just moved to the top of my "games to buy in 2009" list. (Sorry S&P2)

Also, I have a friend of a friend called Eduardo, so he got a good kick outta this when I sent him the link.

Now we've got some solid details and a good idea of how the game looks and whatnot, I'm more excited that ever before with a WiiWare game. Maybe.

And the front of the paper today said that Jan 5th is the most stressful day of the year. I THINK NOT.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

............................
...........................
...........................
...........................

Frickin' ............... AWSOME!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

This game is an auto-win. The only way it could be better is if there are Pancake Ninjas.

tatemon555

tatemon555 said:

Willovelt, I completely agree. This looks like it will possibly be the best Wiiware game yet, and I'm saving up my Wii points for when it comes out (which I hope is soon).

Oh, and one more thing.
Me want now or else Nintendo has to go and stand in the corner.
Bye.

EJD

EJD said:

This looks like a game I'll seriously consider. The visuals look on par with World of Goo to me and the 4 player co-op sounds like a barrel of laughs.

I'm hoping this turns out to be one of the best games of the year.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

This beats Swords and Soliders as my number onemost wanted.

And is it me, or am I looking forward to WiiWare/Downloadable stuff more than actual retail products. Maybe because origionality sucks me in, which indie developers have to rely on to make good selling games.

I mean, honestly, what's more awsome, Halo 4 or a game about Samurai MADE OF FRICKIN TOAST beating the daylights out of everything?

shadows262

shadows262 said:

“ride scooters equipped with lazers blasters and fly around in rocket packs in single player or co-op”

this is the most anticipated game on my list, just because of that sentence!!!
wiiware=pure awesomeness lol

Terra

Terra said:

I. Want. This. NOW!!

My Anticipated games list of 2009 has a new addition

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Gunstar Heroes meets Earthworm Jim meets The Brave Little Toaster! Alright!

This looks great, especially with 4 player co-op and different difficulty levels (I'm playing on Easy)!

indenmark

indenmark said:

Sadly, it's geothermally impossible for this game to be as cool as it sounds.

Also, cosmetically, the game looks more than a little bit like hiney doo-doo.

j

p.s. he should've be named "Freduardo", or possibly "Duane" . . . or "Dewayne"

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?! Still, one to put on the radar and see how it turns out heh...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

We're working on an interview with the developers as we speak. Maybe we can find out a bit more about the game.

Kokstra

Kokstra said:

Looking forward to this! I've been waiting for someone to make a samurai toaster game for YEARS! :P

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@Tides of Chaos: I actually think the wierdness could help. People could go "WTF is this! It looks so wierd!" and buy it. Toki Tori looked boring, not wierd. This game looks flat out crazy, which could help it.

@Corbie: Sweet. Can't wait. Also, why do you seem to be the only one who talks with us? Don't Dazza and the others care :(

ness

ness said:

@ Tides of Chaos (#27): "No matter how good this game is, I'm betting it won't sell well, similar to how Toki Tori didn't. The name is just too bizarre, again, like Toki Tori."

The name 'World of Goo' is not bizarre?

And here the title says more about the game than 'Toki Tori' (great game, must buy!) . You are a Samurai toaster ;).

@ Corbie (#32): Nice to hear that!

Semnat_Daniel

Semnat_Daniel said:

"9. KDR_11k Germany 05 Jan 2009, 20:33 GMT

Hm, the art style makes it kinda hard to tell the terrain from the background..."

Don't worry, there are parallax layers so it's easy to differentiate between middleground and foreground.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ Bahamut Zero - The other guys do care, but they have lives. I don't :P

As much as I love shooters, I have to say this run 'n' gunner has got me quite excited. Now if someone will just do a good old-fashioned bullet hell shooter for the WiiWare, my life will be complete. At least until I find something else I want. :P

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

YAY, I WANT THIS!!! It just sounds sooooo good!!!, maybe too good to be true, but I'll keep hope till the review :P.

ness

ness said:

@ Bahamut ZERO (#43): "And isn't Gradius Rebirth coming out?"

If this was an answer to Corbie: Gradius Rebirth isn't a bullet hell shooter.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Yes, I know that Gradius Rebirth isn't a bullet hell shooter. Not even close. My bullet hell quest on WiiWare will go on. But I did just purchase a DeathSmiles pcb kit for my arcade cabinet so my bullet hell fix is on the way. Now that's a bullet hell shooter! :)

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Corbie & Ness. Holy crap that's a lot of bullets!! I wouldn't last 10 seconds in a bullet hell shooter! :o

DeathSmiles doesn't look that hard though, despite not being able to see anything among the seizure-inducing explosions, but it was probably on easy. :P

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ Ness - I've owned Mushihimesama for some time and it is tough as nails. But he was also playing the Ultra Hard mode on the last boss which is absolutely insane, as you could see.

I'm just happy to see a developer taking a chance on a run 'n' gun game on the WiiWare. Hopefully more will follow down the road.

MuljoStpho

MuljoStpho said:

As I skimmed that description I was kind of reminded of some Chex themed Doom clone that came in a box of Chex when I was a kid. It just has that whole product placement shovelware vibe going on... but without a product... and presumably not shovelware...

It also looks like something you might see on Cartoon Network / Adult Swim.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Heeeey...a WiiWare game that doesn't automatically scream SHOVELWARE right in my face! Not the first, but there aren't very many total, either, and most of the good-looking stuff isn't out yet. If this was Live Arcade, I'd probably be screaming "MUST BUY!" But this is Wii, so I'll hold judgment about its value taking up my limited storage for now.

Edit: Oh yeah, the lack of a demo, which an Arcade game would automatically have, also severely dampens my enthusiasm. :(