More Square Enix Goodness on WiiWare - Crystal Defenders

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

If you've got one of the popular iPhones and have checked out the library of downloadable games for it, you might have noticed that last month, they released a game for it called Crystal Defenders. In this shameless Tower Defense copy, you put down various character classics from Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS) and hope that they manage to kill all enemies before they can get to the end of the path.

Square Enix announced in the newest edition of the Japanese magazine Famitsu that the game will be heading to all three major console download services as well - WiiWare, Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. The magazine explicitly refers to the XBLA and PSN versions as "enhanced ports", while it doesn't call the Wii version a port at all - Could it be a totally new game?

The WiiWare version is called "Crystal Defenders R1", features Wi-Fi support (Which probably means DLC, because it's a single player game!) and will cost 1000 Wii Points. It's coming out rather fast, too - Japan will be getting the game next Tuesday! The game has not been confirmed for release elsewhere yet, but seeing as this is Square we're talking about, it's quite likely it will be released everywhere.

Famitsu also has some screens of the WiiWare version - We've added these as screenshots until we get better ones.

Update: Behold the Japanese trailer:

DEADCELL

DEADCELL said:

Eh. I've already got it on my Ipod Touch, and it only cost $8 for that version. It's pretty fun though (although there are better Tower Defense games on the iphone/touch, like FieldRunners).

EDIT: Yeah, they had a version for the old style Ipods with the click wheels too. I don't think it was supposed to be as good as the Touch/Ipone versions.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Crikey - I'll wait for more info because this doesn't look like a game for me, but it's good news for fans, I'm sure! Strange that there was nothing of this heard sooner though, especially after the massive WiiWare news build ups we usually get (Mega Man 9, World of Goo, for example).

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

If it turns out to be good, I'll wait to see which version I would get: XBLA or WiiWare.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Another game from the second best developer on the planet?
That's good news for everyone.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Tower Defense game ... with FF characters? Neat, but not for me, I'm not a fan of TD games.

slambert215

slambert215 said:

Looks great! Wi-fi is a plus too. I think they had a version of this for iPod click wheel too, but I may be wrong. No, something other than Song Summoner.

AVahne

AVahne said:

I'm getting this version,unlike the others,this one doesn't seem to be a port

Terra

Terra said:

I'll get it on the Wii. I am hoping that the WiiWare version, in particular, is a new game. It does look really good. If it does have DLC, i wonder what it would be

Hyperfludd

Hyperfludd said:

Can't wait. I love the Tactics (Ivalice) Universe, and it's one of the only Final Fantasy games I play.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Very interesting, definetly will love to have a Tower Defense clone around.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

Oooooooohhhhhhh.

Im a RTS fan, and I enjot Tower Defense-type games. Another buy for me.

I spned so myuch money by being a regular on this site :P

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Could be good. I honestly would've wanted the original Tower Defense instead, but something's better than nothing.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Objection_Blaster. Something tells me it starts with an "N" and ends with "intendo". ;)

This looks awesome. Hopefully it'll add enough extra features to justify the purchase, so I won't feel ripped off when I get an ipod Touch and discover that the original is cheaper.

Stratos

Stratos said:

Nice to see a TD game on WW. I may snag it if the price is right.
After the mediocre DLC offerings in MLaaK though, I think I'll pass on it here unless it's really worth it.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Sounds cool. If the PSN/Live Arcade game turns out to be the same as this, I'll just get it on PSN. If this game is different, though, I could see me getting it on WiiWare, too! :)

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Got this on my iPod Touch here but if it differs enouth i might get the WiiWare version as well .

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

$10? No thanks. I love Square Enix and all, but this is a $5 game. It's just tower defense with an FF license.

Stratos

Stratos said:

I'm hoping the Wi-Fi support is for leaderboards. We need more of those in WW games.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ Objection_Blaster -- Nintendo of course.
Nobody has made as many quality games as Nintendo has over the years.
It's not even close.

It's like Nintendo is here and number two is................. way over here.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

I'll pass on this one, it's $10 just because of the FF characters, I'll wait for a cheaper TD game.

@AlexSays
I didn't know you liked Nintendo that much, well I agree, they're not perfect but they certainly have deliver throughout the years.
btw nice cute little avatar! :)

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

TD with characters, eh? The only TD I liked was PatchCon which also uses characters but it's more RTS-like than regular TD.

ness

ness said:

I don't like 'Tower defence' games that much, so probably i will pass on it. (Unless it is absolutely awesome, than maybe^^.)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

My favorite game of the genre to date is PixelJunk Monsters. That one's well worth the $10 for the base game and $6 for "encore" expansion (which adds over 10 new stages, so it's a great value).

I think it works a bit differently from most games in the genre, though. You aren't usually playing as a little dude running around the level, right? I don't really know, and I must admit that my experience with this genre is somewhat limited. Of the few I've played, PJM was the only one to do that, anyway.

JohnshiBRPG

JohnshiBRPG said:

There are other top-down strategy games online, and I wonder if this is worth a game that surpasses others or is this a not so while worthy of your points.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Okay, I just saw the trailer, and while it is better than DYC, I can definitely say that there are better games that are available for free online. Yeah, definitely going to pass on this one.

Hey, if anybody's got a PS3, just wanted to let you know that there's a better Tower Defence game heading your way anyways.

ness

ness said:

How can you say that there are better games if Crystal Defenders R1 is still not available?

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

nice, I have this on my iPhone
overall its a fun little tower defense title
Hopefully, we'll see more iPhone titles available for WiiWare. What I'd really like to see the FAR superior iphone tower defense game Fieldrunners