Jungle Speed swings onto WiiWare next week

Posted by Darren Calvert

Along with the release of Planet Pachinko this coming Monday, WiiWare gamers will also be treated to the delights of a jungle themed card game by the name of Jungle Speed. This might not be everyone’s cup of tea but we’re sure some younger gamers might get a kick out of it.

More from the press release below:

Vancouver, Canada (January 8th, 2008) – The internationally renowned, lightning-fast card game from Asmodee Editions, Jungle Speed, is coming to WiiWare on January 12th. It’s fun for the entire family, where quick reflexes and a keen eye will put you on top. Flip your cards, pay attention and grab the totem at the right moment to win the game.

Jungle Speed is a twitchy, fast-paced WiiWare game that’s fun for all ages. It’s also the first Wii game to offer simultaneous play for up to eight players. Each remote and nunchuk pair can support two players at a time, making it a great game for get-togethers. Just watch the elbows!

Available for 1000 Wii points, Jungle Speed is not for the faint hearted. Players must watch carefully and react quickly. With a jungle character seated comfortably at the game table, players are each dealt a pile of cards. Play starts when the first person flips their card. Moving around the table symbols are revealed until two of the exposed cards match. Players with the matching cards must then scramble to grasp the totem in the middle of the table. The faster player then gives their cards to their unfortunate adversary. With paws flying, the first person to get rid of all their cards wins the game.

To add to the difficulty, certain cards are almost identical, which can trick a hapless player into grabbing the Totem by mistake -- a grave error. Other cards force all players to make a grab at once, change the method of play, or otherwise add to the difficulty. And just when you think you’ve got it down, a special card can change the rules and keep you on the edge of your stump. Every game is an exciting new experience.

It’s been said that Jungle Speed was invented by the Aboulou Tribe in subtropical Spidopotamia. The Aboulous used eucalyptus leaves as cards for the game, which was played to determine shares in the spoils of a hunt, but the leaves were identical and no one ever won. This simple error almost drove the tribe to extinction. Jungle Speed remained unknown to the outside world until two clever gamethropologists, Tom and Yako, invented the modern day playing cards that spawned the WiiWare version.

Jungle Speed is being published by Playful Entertainment Inc. and was produced with the financial participation of Telefilm Canada.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

The playing card idea could sound more enticing at 1000 points, but we shall see...
Oh - and first comment!

Nickname

Nickname said:

This must be a really well done card game, it must otherwise it shouldn't cost that much.

danik

danik said:

Hmm seems a tad simple and defintley aimed at the kids! 1000 points maybe bit much aswell for a card game!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

The playing card idea could sound more enticing at 1000 points
1000 points maybe bit much aswell for a card game!
Are people oblivious to other peoples comments on here?

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

When I read the title, I thought it was WiiWares first good racing game. Instead I get a card game.

I'm sad :(

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

No Gradius or Cave Story this week. Booooo :(

Another week for casual (Wii) ware

gameking23

gameking23 said:

Nooo not more boring WiiWare games now that I have points to spend! Plantechno maybe okay as well as this game, But these games both do not apeal to me.

shadows262

shadows262 said:

so this means another shovelware week for wiiware and a single game on the VC...sigh

maka

maka said:

Jungle Speed is a very fun and fast paced card game (real card game with physical componets). The biggest the group, the more fun it is. Kids love it, but it's not just for kids. You've really got to pay lots of attention to the cards played as you may have to react anytime. I'm not sure how will it translate to the Wii, but I'm glad we're starting to see interesting card/board games on WiiWare too... There are tons of good board/card games that would play wonderfully on the Wii (and no, I don't mean Monopoly and Risk...)

Esposch

Esposch said:

@ Maka
You're going to have to do better than that if you want a payrise. Maybe something with a monkey?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

My issue with these things is like Lonpos (remember that? Euorpe should get that sometime due to it being rated) is it is at similar price to the real life set and usually the real life verison is more fun.

maka

maka said:

@Esposch
Huh????????

I'm not sure what you mean, but you can read about that game at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8098 where I'm also an active user (same avatar and name). Maybe you'll also discover a wealth of good boardgames. A bit of time away from the computer might do you good too :p

BTW, what's with the paranoia around here???

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

As Wiiloveit and danik mentioned, is too expensive, but the real fact that drives me away from this game is that I usually play alone, I rarely play with 2 to 4 people, 8 almost never, and it should be boring to play this by yourself, I won't qualify it of shovelware, but definitely not for me.

maka

maka said:

At first I thought it was online. To play at home I already have the original card version... I can't see how console versions of boardgames will succeed on the wii without online play. After all, if you're just playing with people around you, why not just play the real game??? It's not like it takes very long to set up and play anyway...

Pablo17

Pablo17 said:

This is one of the few times that we know what wiiware games are coming out in advance. That would be great if I was excited about either game but they just don't look that great. I guess I will have to wait and see.

I will say that I like the idea of eight player play, using the nunchuck and the wiimote. I really thought that Bomberman Blast could have used this set up as well.

BDPatVCR

BDPatVCR said:

I actually played this game (card version) last week. It was really fun !!! Especially half drunk or tired ... but 90% of the fun comes out of being quicker than the other players and laughing at them while you give your cards to them so i wonder if that experience is the same if those other people aren't in front of you ...
We'll have to wait for a review i guess

Tornado_Man

Tornado_Man said:

Why dose wiiware keep geting more and more over priced puzzlers for? wii need more platformers

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Didn't "Plattchen" also support eight peoples?

Urggh! Quit using the Wii to play board games - Boxed games are usually more fun than their virtual counterparts, anyway - Next thing you know, they'll be releasing a virtual "Mouse Trap", or maybe "Hungry Hippos" - Yeah, I'd like to see that, ha!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

It's way more fun to play real cards.
My arse.

Didn't "Plattchen" also support eight peoples?
It's basically four players. but with one person using the remote and the other using the nunchuck in the same manner as usual, although 8-player is available with Bomberman (four wii remotes/classic controllers and four GC controllers).

How's about this?

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Yeah, heard about that a while back and though it must be a joke ... unfortunately it isn't ...