iPhone Hit 1112 WiiWare bound?

Posted by Damien McFerran

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past year or so you’ll be aware that Apple’s iPhone/iPod Touch platform is getting some serious attention from game developers, largely thanks to excellent ‘Apps Store’ distribution method that allows users to download games direct to their devices using a wireless connection with the minimum of fuss. We’ve tried it and it’s all very nifty, although it has to be said that the general quality of the games available is often less than inspiring.

However, Agharta Studio’s recently released graphic adventure 1112 is one of the better iPhone games, effortlessly combining great visuals with an engaging plot. It also makes excellent use of the iPhone’s touch screen capability, and for $7.99 represents brilliant value for money.

Why are we telling you all this? Well, Agharta has apparently been approached by another company with the notion of porting the game to WiiWare. The Wii’s motion sensing controls would allow 1112’s unique interface to remain intact, and the episodic nature of the game (future instalments will be available soon) would tie in neatly with other WiiWare games, such as the well-liked Strong Bad series.

However, there’s one small stumbling block that may put a dampener on the entire proposition – the size limit for WiiWare games is 42MB and the first episode of 1112 clocked in at 128MB on the iPhone.

Who would have thought that a game made for a portable platform has to be downsized to function on the Wii?

Source: Pocket Gamer

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

I don't know if this has been answered already, but with the storage "solution", is there any chance of nintendo relaxing the size limit so that games like this are possible?

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

I don't know if Nintendo will relax the size limit until they come up with a decent solution for the storage problem. Running games from an SD card is one thing, but the iPhone has 8-16GB of memory and the 360 has 20-120GB, so based on the Wii's current memory, 42MB is a pretty reasonable limit, I guess.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I doubt Nintendo will ever change the size limit as the current limit shows us; too many developers do not appear to be optimising their games in terms of space. How else can you explain say, criter round up being so large? Of course some developers are making a real effort in this department it has to be said, MaBoShi and Cubello being my favourite examples.

Of course 1112 could always do the Space Invaders get Even trick of a base game/demo then release the rest of the game as packs to get round the size limit...

Also how do we know if 1112 is optimised space-wise in the iPhone version.

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

@ Chicken Brutus:

et tu?
no apologies necessary. awesome show, even if that season finale was a bit of a letdown that had nothing to do with ORB (yet)
(WHY would you buckle it?)

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Hai, I technically have been "living under a rock" (try not that interested in the iPod things).

vherub

vherub said:

hope it works out, I'd also be worried about the gorgeous 800x600 artwork making the transition to the larger screen.
What's the deal with memory limits for the dsware? maybe that would be a better fit.

i_am_error

i_am_error said:

I would like this to come on the Wii. Looks neat + I love adventure games like this one.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

@ Wii loveit
Ummm... 1. When your really old 2. When your older :)

Another suggestion I have is to give us one level of the game for 500 points.

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

hmm...
I'm seriously considering getting this for my iphone. I love these kind of Gabriel Knight-ish games, and I'm really stoked to see one outside of the Strongbad series considered for WiiWare.

I've looked at some reviews in the Apple App Store, and people are reporting the game's length to be around 2 and a half hours, which is a little short for $7.99 (IMO), but in light of the Strongbad games and Lost Winds, it wouldn't be unheard of.

Hopefully, 1112 hits WiiWare, mostly because there are a whole grip of excellent iPhone titles that I'd love to see for the Wii. Especially Fieldrunners, an awesome tower defense game that Time magazine included in their Top Ten Games of 2008 (right up there with Gears of War 2 and GTA4)

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Though graphic advemtures are not my cup of tea, having this one on Wiiware would be nice since it's a very prized game; I hope that Nintendo will realise how many good games it's console is missing due to the storage problem.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Dang it, the Game Cube had Memory cards - why not use the Game Cube port for a Wii expansion card?

Emme

Emme said:

If they redid it in 3D, it would fit into the 42 MB I guess.
I won the game for iPhone, and I find it not very interesting or appealing.Have a look at youtube to find some gameplay movies, and you will see what I mean (repetitive animations and boring text...)

Objection

Objection said:

@Stardust-Good question.
@Emme-It sounds more like you don't care for the genre. I could be wrong.
As for the "can they optimize it?" Probably, they can, because they were likely a little lazy in squeezing it since they didn't have to for the iPhone. But can they smash it into 1/3 the size? Either the sound or visual quality or both will have to take a big hit.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I thought the new PS3s now go to 160GB?
Nope.

Because the biggest official GC memory cards have about 16mb, with the average card using about 4 - which is slightly pricey for a bit of extra Wii memory, when SD cards are a lot cheaper, now.

Kamuki

Kamuki said:

1112 is actually part of a game called fade for PC.

It was split up into 4 chapters for iphone later so I'm sure they can just bring the much awkrardly smaller sized pc version to wiiware.