USA WiiWare Update: Strong Bad Episode 5 & Big Kahuna Party

Posted by Darren Calvert

There are no prizes for guessing that Strong Bad Episode 5: 8-Bit Is Enough is out this week. This is the final game in the five part Strong Bad series, in which fans will finally be able to witness Trogdor in all three of the glorious Ds! Other popular Homestar Runner games such as Stinkoman 20X6 and Thy Dungeonman also make appearances. Watch out for our review which will be up later today.

Big Kahuna Party is the other game up for grabs this week. It looks suspiciously like Bejeweled and seems to be based on a Flash game. We don’t know much about the developers Reflexive Entertainment, but we’re not expecting much from this game, so let’s hope we are pleasantly surprised. Watch out for our review over the next day or so.

More from the press release:

Strong Bad Episode 5: 8-Bit Is Enough (Telltale Games, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Mild Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief, Mild Suggestive Themes, 1,000 Wii Points): Trogdor, the beefy-armed dragon of legend, has shaken free from his video game and is running through the countryside, “burninating” everything in sight. With a dragon on the loose and 8-bit classics leaking into the real world, it’s all fun and games until the proud land of Strong Badia falls to Trogdor’s fiery wrath. Now Strong Bad must take back the night by sending this scorching menace back into his arcade cabinet once and for all. Just one problem: Does anybody know how to kill a dragon?

Big Kahuna Party (Reflexive Entertainment Inc., 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 700 Wii Points): Embark on a tropical adventure with the explosively charged Big Kahuna Party. Looking to make the ultimate party game, we started with a concept that’s accessible to the whole family—the popular match-three game. On top of that, we crafted a unique multiplayer experience in which you can choose to work together to complete the challenging levels before the timer runs out, or go head-to-head and compete in a frenzy of fun. To top it off, we added 99 uniquely free-flowing levels, the challenging Tiki Pole, 20 hidden tropical sea creatures to unlock, the strategic Fish Net and more. The result is a family party game like no other, easy to pick up but impossible to put down. Play alone or with friends, and unleash the Tiki spirit within.

On VC this week there's just one game again, shame on you Nintendo! It's the rather mediocre Enduro Racer for the Master System. Let's hope for an exciting Christmas week update!

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

No more Strong Bad games! Its about time. Not that I didn't like them, I just wasn't interested in downloading any of them. Not being familar with the online cartoon nor wanting to become familar with it, I just didn't care for any of them. I don't download many WiiWare games anyway as I am really choosy about what to spend my points on. Big Kahuna Party looks like shovelware. Worse, a clone of another shovelware already on WiiWare (Bang!).

Virus

Virus said:

@Bass X0
I'm almost agree with you entirely. I like Strong Bad and have nothing against the games; I'm just ready for something else. BKP doesn't look that promising either although I'm hesitant to call it shovelware.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I'll await the review of Big Kahuna Party but I can see the cursing about this week being the "worst ever" (though I'd say the VC part is a contender) starting already.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

They call it the "season finale" on the H*R page, maybe there will be a second season?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Its only the worst week ever until the following week as Nintendo likes to outdo themselves in giving us terrible weeks. It must be fun in the Nintendo offices.

Otty_Ott

Otty_Ott said:

Big Kahuna Reef 1 & 2 have been released for PC for a long time.

You can play the online version here:

The commercial versions have hundreds of levels and thousands of levels you can download. The games come with level editors and there is a huge community making levels for the PC games.

They are Bejeweled-type games, but with a lot of extra features. I really like the Big Kahuna games and hope the WiiWare version is equally fun. Sure, they are just Match-3 games, but they are tough and have some interesting features.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Tony: lol, Tiki Towers next.

I was JUST saying the other day that I'm looking forward to heaing how BKP turns out as I was wondering when it would come out. What a nice surprise! 700 Points? Great choice! Probably gonna get both! _

SB Games I Have: 2 + 4. Thats it. I'm stuck on 2 and I've barely played 4 unfortunately. I think I'm gonna go play right now. :)

Robster

Robster said:

Oh well, already played a lot of PC BKP on slow days at work :-) . It's ok I guess, yet another tile-matching-fest grumble. Some more of the new, fun and innovative stuff please!

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@bboy2970 - MaBoShi's Arcade is strongly expected to come out in December for the USA, according to my source. It won't be next week though because that's already reserved for Fun! Fun! Minigolf and Tiki Towers.

I would say the 29th is likely, perhaps with another Art Style game?

gameking23

gameking23 said:

I'm getting very tired of all these weeks of no real good game to download. :( Hopefully BKP will be better than Bang.

Phantom5800

Phantom5800 said:

Now that the last episode of Strong Bad has been released ... I seriously need to do some catch up (episodes 3-5) ... damn you life not allowing for the time to play all the good games that are out!

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

I wonder if Pool Revolution: Cue Sports is also coming on the 29th?

I'll be downloading Strong Bad Episode 5 - 8-Bit is Enough today. :)

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

I work for Reflexive and am sad that so people think BKP is shovelware :(. The multiplayer vs. is the reason we did this particular project for WiiWare. It's a blast to play, but on the PC, no-one played it (most people don't have 4 mice!). WiiWare seemed perfect to bring that to more people :). Hope you'll give it a play. If you have people to play with, I think you'll like it.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Bass X0: Seriously, you have no desire to become familiar with Homestarrunner.com? Do you have no sense of humor, or what? It's a free and hilarious internet flash cartoon, what's not to love? I say that ANYBODY who sees these games release and is not familiar with the site should go check it out. I did, and I LOVE it!

@Versus22: Wow, somebody besides myself posting here and actually showing interest in downloading 8Bit is Enough...HUZZAH! :D

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

BKP doesn't look too bad. I can't wait to read the review. I might get it if it gets a good score. The only thing is I usually play by myself so I would unfortunately never use multiplayer.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

cyrus_zuo: "Some people" doesn't equal the whole consensus of WWW members. I enjoyed Plattchen and BPlus thanked me appreciatively for it although WWW gave it a discouraging review. Don't let these comments detter you! I've been interested in BKP for a while now so don't let a few comments of those who haven't even PLAYED the game sidetrack you from what really matters: people like me WILLING to give games a chance with time and patience. Only then should you take those comments srsly.

@Stuffgamer: I just DL'd it plus I said earlier I'm getting it... :S

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@BassX0: You can't hate the WiiWare games this much without playing them - especially when each one has received a 7/10 here (with the latest getting an eight).
This new Strong Bad game looks pretty good, and I can't wait to get my hands on it (this Friday, if Nintendo are lenient on the "one game per developer per month" rule), however after Bang!, I couldn't care less for BKP.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@KnucklesSonic8: Sorry...all I saw was that you had 2 and 4 and needed to work on those. Wasn't sure if you were getting this one. I guess I just noticed the way Versus22 spelled it out so clearly...
Anyway, the more the merrier in Free Country, USA! :D

danik

danik said:

I hope some diffirent types of games get released soon, ive probalay said it before but im fed up of puzzle games and im sure im not the only one. I want some racing, action or sports games.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@danic - Agreed. We do need other genres, but lucky for Japan they get an RPG WiiWare game tomorrow called Sorcery Blade.

@Stuffgamer1 - I started getting interested in the Strong Bad series after I saw a score of 8 on the Dangeresque 3 review. :)

MrPoo6321

MrPoo6321 said:

DAMNIT! Where the eff is Animales De La Muerte????? I really wanna play that game before 2009... the first trailers came out back in March or April and they advertised its release in October.... We are now halfway through December and it hasn't appeared yet. What is going on????

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

I want Maboshi so bad. :(
So.... NOBODY has gotten BKP yet? O_o I think I may be the first... goes to DL

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

How does it feel with no MaBoShi? The bank account number for the ransom is:
DE89 3704 0044 0532 0130 00
PAY UP if you want him alive!

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

When is Bubble Bobble WiiWare coming out dammit!?

Maboshi? Is that the 3 way arcade or whatever? I thought that game wasn't good?

Also, I decided I'm not going to buy World of Goo with my next card. I will one day, just not soon. I'm positive I want at least one wiiware title, and I'm thinking about Bomberman Blast. Any suggestions on other titles?

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

When is Bubble Bobble WiiWare coming out dammit!?

Maboshi? Is that the 3 way arcade or whatever? I thought that game wasn't good?

Objection

Objection said:

I have been passing on games for a ehile so this is a good time for me to catch up!

Killraven

Killraven said:

cubello is good, i recommend it, there would be a couple things i would change but overall its a good game. i've played it a ton.

what are some of everyones endless mode highscores?

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

@PALgamer
Now now, there's no need for anyone to get hurt. Let's agree to meet at a public place for the exchange. We give you World of Goo, you give us MaBoShi. Then we go our seperate ways.

@Killraven
Cubello rocks! I don't know my high score though. I'd have to transfer the game back onto my wii.

Man, I wish we could play directly from the sd card. There are so many times I crave a certain game but then I think about having to decide which game to delete to make room. Then I have to transfer it. The transfers are faster but still annoying. I usually end up just playing what's already on the wii.

@MrPoo6321
Glad to see I'm not the only one wondering where the bleep Animales is. I'm pretty sure it won't be out this year, though I'd love to be wrong.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@KnucklesSonic8: Just to obsessively confirm, you are aware that I was referring to the hometown of Strong Bad and friends, and NOT claiming superiority for my location on Earth over yours, right?

Also, I still do not know anything about Maboshi except that almost EVERYBODY wants it. What's the big deal?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

MaBoShi. well, it is another puzzle game...wait, come back...

It has original ideas. It isn't just a rehash of something you've played a better version of. i'm sure the numerous news stories (review, the interviews with the developer) explain better...

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@PALgamer - MaBoShi is published by Nintendo. The PAL regions will have one more Nintendo published game than the USA on Friday.

I would have taken that over World of Goo if I only had to choose 1 game out of the 2.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Starwolf_UK: I read all of what you said, but that first sentence still puts me off. Don't get me wrong here, I like puzzle games. Or I used to. When there weren't 50 million of them being released every 30 seconds (Huzzah for excessively excessive exaggerations!). But now, I'd rather have a good old fashioned 2D platformer or something (2D, not 2.5D. Wario Land-esque would be AWESOME!).

@Clayfrd: I tried to tell you, but you may not have gone back to see. Don't let your lack of familiarity with Strong Bad and related stuff turn you off from these games. Just check out http://www.homestarrunner.com/main3.html and see what you think. Click "first time here?" and go from there. THEN come back and say you're not interested. But for now, anybody who ignores the series because they don't know anything about it is missing out on some REALLY great stuff.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Stuffgamer1- I'll check that out later, but I need to go to sleep now. I didn't mean that SB was bad necessarily, but this is a poor week in terms of quantity, and SB can only partially make up for the quality. I'm always glad for a release week that pleases the masses, even if that doesn't include me, but this one has pleased only those who like SB.

Edit: (still @stuffgamer1)

Wario Land was great! I only have WL2, 4, and Shake it!, but I've loved every one of them. It would be great if Nintendo would release an episodic 2D Kid Icarus game with all new levels (assuming the rumored disc based game doesn't exist). 2D platformers are underappreciated these days; I'd love to see some good ones on WW cough Sonic cough.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Me too want MaBoShi.... Me sad cause no MaBoShi... :'(

In other matters, the week ain't that bad (for wiiware at least :P), BKP seems like a nice game lets hold criticism for after the review, and for what I've read SB games are good, I don't like them because I don't like point and click games at all, but I'm not going to say the game is bad just because it's not my cup of tea; you can't call a week bad just because Nintendo couldn't pleased everybody.

@shadow262 @shadx
Me too want WW Bubble Bobble :).

@Stuffgamer1 @Clayfrd
Me too want 2D platformer :).

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

@SilentJ: Let's meet in "The Solfar" at Reykjavík (Iceland). Bring no one with you.

@Versus22: Don't worry, you'll get it next Monday if not the other. It's a good game, but not as special as WoG.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

No interest in Big Kahuna, but 8-Bit Is Enough might be the first (and likely only) Strongbad game I'll get. It's all about video games, and the trailer I saw on this site last week gave me a good chuckle. EDIT: plus it has Trogdor in it. :)

@SilentJ and Mrpoo. I'm wondering where the frick Animales is too. It's supposed to come out this month, but it doesn't look like it'll be next week. Hopefully the week after. It's one of my most anticipated WW games. :)

@Stuffgamer. Hell YES! I love Wario Land! I played them all, and they're all great. The third one was one pf my favorite games as a kid. I'd love to see a platformer like them on Wiiware!