USA WiiWare Update: Boingz & Sudoku Challenge!

Posted by Darren Calvert

Two new WiiWare games join the ranks of the ever growing library today. Perhaps the most interesting is RealArcade’s Boingz which looks like it could be heaps of fun. Be sure and check out the interview with the developers of Boingz which we did last month for more info.

Digital Leiure’s Sudoku Challenge! is the other game. After not exactly being bowled over by the Incredible Maze we hope this one raises the bar a bit. It is hard to see how you could go wrong at this price really however. 100 million Sudoku puzzles for just $5! Bargain or what?

More from today’s press release:

Boingz (RealArcade, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Stretch, flex and flick your way to freedom. A truly mind-bending experience, Boingz introduces you to cute, colorful, stretchable friends lost in an alien world, searching for the magical gates that will take them home. Boingz springs to life with 30 levels of puzzle-platforming fun. The Boingz are bendy little critters that can be pulled, stretched and flicked from place to place like rubber bands. It's a team effort, as all the Boingz will have to work together to unwind the game's puzzles. What's more, many of the Boingz have fallen into a deep slumber, and you'll have to lead the stronger Boingz to find and wake up their sleepy friends. Explore surreal landscapes, sail through the air like a trapeze artist, walk along the seafloor, and collect the Twinklies to power up your elastic-powered flights.

Sudoku Challenge! (Digital Leisure Inc., 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Now's your chance to play the brain-busting puzzle game taking the world by storm. With over 100 million Sudoku puzzles, you'll never see the same puzzle twice in Sudoku Challenge! You can select the classic nine-by-nine Sudoku game boards as well as Grand Sudoku, which challenges you to complete five intersecting Sudoku boards simultaneously. Just a beginner? Don't worry-with three difficulty options, even a novice player can complete a Sudoku with ease. But if you're a seasoned pro, challenge yourself in Expert mode and test your true skills. It's time to get your thinking cap on and see how many Sudoku puzzles you can conquer.

In the crazy world of Virtual Console you might be interested in Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure on the Genesis. It’s a fondly remembered game which is worth a look.

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

#2: No. Nobody here is going to comment on what Boingz is like :P. Its hard to tell Boingz quality from images. It looks like an N64 game but doesn't look like shovelware (at least in pictures). Sudoku is Sudoku, you probably have a version already.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

A part of me wonders if those screenshots we got from Boingz are from a early dev build or not. When we got the screenshots for Real's other game, Tiki Towers they looked of a similar quality. Then after the weekend they sent us much more recent ones and it looked much better. Fingers crossed! Either way the game looks like it might be a lot of fun.

bwaybuddy26

bwaybuddy26 said:

I think Boingz is going to be a good game. Nintendo selected it to be featured for their October press event along with World of Goo, Tetris Party and Cave Story. I don't they would have picked a piece of shovelware. As for Sudoku Challenge! I think it looks pretty inoffensive at 500 points. How could the gameplay possibly be broken on a Sudoku game?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Its not that it'll be broken, but I think anyone who wants a Sudoku game would have got one already by now. And I hope Boingz looks better in the final version.

bwaybuddy26

bwaybuddy26 said:

On Digital Leisure's website they have a page for their next WiiWare game, Texas Hold'em Tournament.

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

Darn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO Space Invaders: Get Even, come on give us the cool Space Invaders, I say that they could have at least held off on Boingz or whatever for nother week, I get to frustrated at Sudoku, so this week is pure crap. Are we ever gonna get Space Invaders: Get Even or Maboshi??????? Two great games that we still do't have. Boingz just looks retarted and pretty horrible. No good games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also on VC where is my Castlevnia 3?, Devil World?, Clayfighter?, other decent titles for the N64 like: Super Smash Bros., The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Mario Tennis, the RPGs like Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and everything else, heck I would even take E.T. and Superman 64 for laughs and to see how bad they really are, I'm out this week is pure crap, where the crap are the good games, My rampage ends here!!!!AH!!!!!!!!!!!!

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Our contact at MindWare emails me every now and then and says they are expecting Maboshi's Arcade to be out in the US anytime now. It's weird that it hasn't popped up already. It's getting a bit silly now!

gameking23

gameking23 said:

Did not see this one comming. I thought that Cue Sports was to come out today. It will be interesting to see how Boingz turns out.

bwaybuddy26

bwaybuddy26 said:

Well, MaBoShi's Arcade is now ESRB rated. That at least shows that MindWare's not just wishful thinking.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

How could the gameplay possibly be broken on a Sudoku game?
Wait for the review to find out :P Joking aside, control and interface stuff. If you ask me, Brain Training nailed Sudoku down perfectly once you get past number reconition issues.

Its nice to see 2 new games coming out but all this is doing is segmenting the regions up something wonderful. Which is bad.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Never expected Boingz so soon. Might get that one at some point if it's any good. Still waiting for Maboshi, Gradius Rebirth, and SI: Get Even...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

#15: I'm sure we'll start to see some catch-up weeks between the two regions. I was fully expecting America to play a catch-up week to Europe today. Sadly not.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@Dazza - Very weird. MaBoShi is out everywhere else (at least in Europe and Japan).

I also wish Gyrostarr (and some other games that we got) would come to Europe as well... more catch-up weeks are needed! :)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

This was the month that was November on the WiiWare

24: Boingz & Sudoku Challenge!
17: Strong Bad Ep 4 & Target Toss: Pro Bags
10: Brain Challenge & Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam
03: Alien Crush Returns & Home Sweet Home

Pretty average month really, it seems like there is a clear 'good' game and a clear 'poor' game for each week. Nothing really special though. Obviously I can't yet comment on today's games.

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

As I said in other news, America will get MaBoShi when we get WoG, that's NoJ evil reasoning with the updates. Don't kill the messenger.
Haven't got a clue really, having regions sucks. I understand the ratings, etc. But as the world tends to globalise, this fragmentation is...

@4: Nobody has said anything about Boingz yet. Guess they are waiting for the review.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Probably. 1000 points is a lot to spend on a game we know very little about.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

wondering if I should get it
Still, this is a pleasant surprise.

I HOPE Turtle Bay (from RealArcade) comes to WiiWare. I would get that in an INSTANT!

paulis23

paulis23 said:

It says on the Digital Leisure website that the game features "absolutely no multi-solution puzzles" so that answers that one....which is a good sign. It's Sudoku -- It's fun and simple and for $5 why not.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm about to start playing Boingz, but what surprised me right off was that it was only 168 blocks.

Charlie_The_Unicorn

Charlie_The_Unicorn said:

How many blocks is Sudoku Challenge?

P.S. I bey you didn't know this! Take Sudoku Challenge. 100 million puzzles for 500 pts. That's 200,000 puzzles per cent! Now, take the average Sudoku Puzzle Book. 100 Puzzles for about $5. How many books will it take to match the amount of Puzzles in Sudoku Challenge? That's right. 1 million books, or 5 million dollars to spend. Now, assume a Newspaper or Website has 2 puzzles a day. It would take thousands of years of puzzles to match what this game has. Basically, if you love Sudoku, and you have a wii connected to the internet, that Sudoku Challenge is a must.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Reaver: BPlus did that one once, but I doubt any persuasion is needed for a sudoku game - if someone wants it, they'll get it. If they don't, they won't.
@BassXO: Home Sweet Home wasn't that bad actually, and this week looks pretty good.
I can't tell how good Boingz is at all though, and so I'll be awaiting the review. The only thing I'm worried about with Sudoku is the controls: are they pointer or D-Pad based, and how accurate are they? Still, I might as well just wait for the review.
EDIT: After watching your video, I think that whilst the presentation and controls for Sudoku could be better, it still looks fairly playable. I'm guessing that it may get a six.

ACK

ACK said:

@Reaver: Pretty perceptive on your part. Don't know who he is, but I do recall paulis23 accusing me of bias in my The Incredible Maze review.

Charlie_The_Unicorn

Charlie_The_Unicorn said:

@Wiiloveit: I'm pretty sure you can use point & click controlls on Sudoku, or you can just hold the Wii-Mote sideways to play using the buttons.

Anybody know the block count yet?

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Reaver: after checking out their 'site, the comment stating that their game has "absolutely no multi-solution puzzles", methinks you has found a secret agent. What's more, ACK! was right in stating that paulis23 also stated that TIM was good, which is good enough evidence for me. According to a quick Google search, Paulis23 has no friends or activity on some website's he's signed up to, and he is also currently searching for a female partner, and has favourited a selection of beauty products on stylefeeder. Erm... other than that though, he only appears to have posted things on Digital Leisure articles here, so all I have to say is:
PAULIS23: NOBODY WANTS YOU HERE
If you're not a publicity thingamabob, then sorry - even though I'm 95% sure you are.

slambert215

slambert215 said:

@Wiiloveit- If he is a publicity guy, at least he doesn't leave after a bad review like WiiBoy.

All in all, meh week. Still hoping for MaBoShi...

Crazynoodle

Crazynoodle said:

Boings kinda looks like the ds game mario vs. dk 2 march of the minis. that was a fun but short game, but was made up for in user generated content. the gameplay to these get all peeps to the end game is usually good, so i have high hopes. i just hope that it has user made content or DLC to make up for the short 30 levels. Otherwise WERE IS MABOSHI!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!!!!! maybe they are adding online leader boards hint hint

Objection

Objection said:

Boingz is a mild surprise, hope its a good one. Hope Sudoku doesn't show us how it COULD possibly fail, but you never know...

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

well, i broke down and bought Boingz before the review. my thoughts after about a half hour of play? I think it is a good game overall. The control scheme is pretty creative. The 2 bad points i found were the fact that it only has single player mode, and that there isnt really any story linking it all together. That being said, the levels are well done, creative, and mostly fun to play. I would feel better recomending it if it were 800 points, 1000 is a little steep but if you want my opinion, i say buy it, but only if you are a fan of things sort of like world of goo or co-op puzzle games. i say, 8/10

Ark

Ark said:

Sudoku Challenge might be alright. As Charlie The Unicorn said earlier, it's great value for your money...as long as the controls work well. I don't think the game could be all that bad.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I won't give much away, but for those who thought the screenshots were a little lackluster...it doesn't get much better in the actual game. The visuals are not terribly good, even by WiiWare standards. Unless you just really love Playstation One graphics. :)

Terra

Terra said:

Was not expecting Boingz or Sudoku yet but there here now for the US so that's 2 games out of the way. Also wasn't expecting Boogerman. When that hits Europe, i will certainly be staying away from it

As for Boingz Visuals, unless horribly ugly, do not matter that much to me, although they do certainly help things. What really matters is the gameplay and that's what truly matters. I'm not going to say it's the only thing that matters because it's not but if you have everything else perfect but bad gameplay, there's no point. As long as Boingz has good gameplay, i'll be happy

From what i've seen of Sudoku Challenge, considering it's Sudoku, Visuals won't matter there that much either, aside from the backgrounds which don't look that bad from the screenshots. I generally find that Visuals don't matter that much when it comes to Puzzle games as long as they play well and the replay value is bound to be huge with 100 Million puzzles, provided they can keep you interested long enough.

Most-Excellent

Most-Excellent said:

The only real surprise to me was Boingz, and glad Sudoku Challenge is finally out; I bet both will get AWESOME review scores and rise to the TOP of the Charts on Wendsday!!! Boingz could even CRACK the TOP 5; I'm guessing! ;)

And like @ Supermarioman: I'm also getting majorly dissapointed and still angry, fed up, you know I love to complain because there's NO CASTLEVANIA 3!!! :(

Stratos

Stratos said:

Since I got World of Goo nothing has really interested me on WW.
WoG has satiated my gaming desires for the time being.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

I'm not interested in any of today's releases, I play Sudoku on the internet (it's free, and you can find many of them), and Boingz, well I'll wait for the review, but it doesn't seem pretty good to me.
Right now, I'm waiting for MaBoShi and Cave Story, huuuurrrrrrrryyyy!!!!

gameking23

gameking23 said:

Can not wait to see how these two games turn out. My two big questions are one: Did Digital Leisure mess up again? Two is Boingz any good?

Sycoraxic98

Sycoraxic98 said:

Oh, when it comes to MaBoShi, I actually have a friend that works for Nintendo. When I asked him when it was coming out, he looked on his computer and said.... "Well, huh!" and he had a grin on his face.

Next week:
Space Invaders
MaBoShi
The Impossible Quiz Wii Collection
=
Happy Patrick!

(I wish...the latter isn't even ESRB rated yet!)

Otty_Ott

Otty_Ott said:

I'll stick to my DS sudoku games with handwriting recognition etc., like Brain Age and Sudoku Gridmaster... There is nothing worse than a bad Sudoku game, and after watching the trailer for Sudoku Challenge, it looked like it has a bad interface...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Well the Boingz review has been submitted, so maybe it won't be too much longer before it's up. I won't spoil it for anyone. :)