Exclusive WiiWare Cave Story Screenshot!

Posted by Corbie Dillard

That's right, you saw it on the web here first. Nicalis has sent us a web exclusive screenshot of the actual WiiWare version of Cave Story in action for all to see. In the screen shot below you can see Quote and Toroko meet up with Misery the witch and Balrog for the first time. As you can see, the visuals have a very slick and glossy appearance, but the unique look of the original game is still intact as well.

And for those who missed it, you can also check out our exclusive Interview with Nicalis to get a bit more insight into this upcoming WiiWare title.

We'll have more information on Cave Story as it becomes available as well as a full review of the game when it hits the WiiWare service.

Untitled

Ark

Ark said:

Well, I like the new look. Quite good I must say. I'll be getting this one as soon as it is released. Never actually played the original, but my friend loves it so I'm gonna give this one a go.

cyko

cyko said:

That new look will give a new life to an extraordinary game.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

this same screen shot is in the current issue of nintendo power (vol. 236 page 24).

Objection

Objection said:

The new graphics are looking good. I need to go back to my freeware CS and finish it.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

We've had it clarified. We have the "web" exclusive of the screenshot. Whatever that means. :P

shadows262

shadows262 said:

This game remind me of a mixter between Kid Icarus and Blaster Master but w/ good graphics for some reason

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

OHMYGODZ!!!

I can't believe that there were people that actually complained about this. :|

AVahne

AVahne said:

characters look good,im a fan of the original and i love the new graphics

dqle

dqle said:

Hmm... It seems as if Balrog's mouth is missing compared to that of the character comparison back on the blog...

And sorry to nag, Corbie, but the characters in the screen, from left to right, are Balrog, Misery, Mr. Traveler (the hero), and Toroko, NOT Sue! (coincidentally, you've made the same mistake as Misery; hope you won't get a beating like she did!)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Here is where I got the information on the characters. Thanks for pointing out the mistake. :)

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I'm currently playing through the PC version of this game, but the WiiWare version is shaping up to make it worth a possible second run through. :)

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

I'm holding off on the PC version so I can fully appreciate this game. Everyone seems to like it, so I'd like it to be a fresh experience when I play it. Isn't Balrog the same name as that one guy on Street Fighter II?

Ren

Ren said:

awesome,
can't wait. Also never played the original, but I love me some old fashioned platforming goodness.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

The newly updated look (albeit what a slight, unintrusive one it is) appears quite nice. Amazing what difference just a few more pixels can make and how much more life they can bring to the characters. I particularly love Quote's new, improved look. Can't wait to play through this gem again once it hits WiiWare.

Jazzem

Jazzem said:

Looks nice, but I think the original 8-bit style will always be the one I favour. I'll definitely be playing with this new style on my first runthrough of the WiiWare game in any case :)

What I want to know is how they're going to handle the 'new' versions of the old tunes.

The thing that's confusing for me is that the main character's old sprite looked like he was facing forward and that the eye close to his hair at the back looked like an ear line, but it's more clear here that that isn't the intended look...but my mind is still trying to see it the way I saw the 8-bit version!

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

You know...I was half expecting to get Rick Rolled when I clicked the link.

Well, it just looks like someone used Kreed's SuperEagle graphics engine. (It's something you could use in most SNES emulators to make them look smoother and stuff like that.)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ SmaMan - I was thinking the same thing about the smoother looking visuals.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

It looks nice! I'm eagerly awaiting this game, I've played it on the PC, but I'll enjoy playing it on the wii a lot more.

sfried

sfried said:

It looks like WiiWareWorld's screenshot has been scaled slightly. The font looks messed up, and I could see the studs on the blocks varying from one to two pixels.

Would it be possible for you guys to post the unscaled image for clarity's sake? Sorry if I sound picky...