USA WiiWare Update: Strong Bad Episode 3 and Art Style: Rotohex

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Not much surprises today - Both released games were pretty much confirmed to be coming!

Strong Bad Episode 3: Baddest of the Bands is the third installment of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. After Strong Bad's beloved Fun Machine breaks down, he can't play his cool new Limozeen game, so he takes it to Bubs for repairs - The problem is that he asks one big sack of cash as fee, so Strong Bad has to think of a get-rich-quick plan. Thankfully, being the genius he is, he comes up with one fast - Organize a Battle Royale of the Bands and rake in the profits! We already played the PC version of the game some weeks ago, so the review's already up!

Art Style: Rotohex is the third game in the Art Style series, consisting of games from the Japan-only bit Generations series for GBA, plus new games designed to be similar. Rotohex appears to be based on the bit Generations title Dialhex - The objective is to create numerous hexagons out of similarly coloured triangles, before the playing field is completely filled. Just like with Orbient and Cubello, Nintendo has been fairly mysterious about the game, so there's no screenshots yet!

That's it for WiiWare this week - On VC, you can grab the cult classic Earthworm Jim for the Genesis.

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Another Strong Bad game and another Art Style game. Not really interested in either when they come here. Good week for some people but it wouldn't be for me.

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

What a weak week. Nothing like ours.
I thought AlienCrush, HSH and MaBoShi were also coming out.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

If Rotohex is at all like Dialhex then it should be a solid purchase I think. Time will tell :-p

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

WANT STRONG BAD NOW ;(
Wonder if the Art Style games will come to Europe soon (if at all) and vice-versa with MaBoShi.
Meh - we still have Home Sweet Home to keep us going.

Dialhex looks a bit like that XBLA game (but slightly more wtf). Can't remember what it's called, but I played on a pre-installed version at a friends.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Plus thanks to the shop update we can't get the tiny screenshots you'll see in the Wii Shop...it is like they don't want us to know about the items even 2 hours in advnace :(

I wonder if there will be any more Art Style games to follow? One way to make it happen...keep buying them :D

Hexic HD? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexic#Releases
Dailhex plays differently since the pieces are triangles which vanish when made into hexagons rather than being hexagons to start with.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Strong Bad! Been saving points just for that. Had to delete Dr. Mario to make room for it, though (come on, Nintendo, hurry up with that solution!). I'm starting to like Wiiware a bit too much for my memory constraints, I think. :P

PEICanada7

PEICanada7 said:

Notice how its only the Europeans complaining about this weeks North American WiiWare releases? Which is odd considering you guys can't get any of these games even if you wanted them today. Why would anyone be disappointed with a new Art Style game from Nintendo, or a next entry in the Strong Bad series?

Both consistently produce good games. "Oh no more good quality games are coming out. No thanks please just give us more crap like the Incredible Maze, or SPOGS Racing." I think this week is yet another great week for WiiWare in North America which has actually had a lot of really good weeks lately!

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Can't wait to get my hands on the final Art Style game. I hope that with its sales, there will be more unique titles in the future.

Earthworm Jim is a great announcement also. :o

AENIGMA

AENIGMA said:

Art Style: Rotohex is a definite must buy. It sounds like it plays just like the Bit Generations version. I hope they have more Art Style games in the works :) (especially a Dotstream one)

Phantom5800

Phantom5800 said:

Damn it, that just adds one more game to my list of games to buy on WiiWare when I get points ... and space. I kind of wish they sold 2200 Point Cards so I would have enough Wii Points :P ... and definitely wish there was more storage space (even doubling it would be pretty damn good).

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

Oh PEI, and I thought that the phrase "Nothing like ours" would give it off.

@AENIGMA: Yeah, I would like a Dotstream one too. Just any to be exact.

Ren

Ren said:

Yeah, this looks like another great week for us. It still is kind of amazing that the storage hasn't become a bigger priority for them. I think for a lot of us it is literally the main reason why we haven't DL ed more games yet. Like mentioned above, even a doubling of space in newly shipped consoles would make a big difference. There are a few hundred great games available for download,, Including new ones, an interface designed to showcase games permanently kept on your homepage, but only enough space to hold a few at a time? To the average consumer, that means "oh well, I guess I can't buy any more". That should set off alarms at Nintendo, I don't get why it hasn't.
Oh, hey, whats the update do? does it really kill screenshots for games?

ness

ness said:

I can't believe it, the third 'Art Style' game. When do we get one? =(

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

I'll pick up Rotohex after I DL and play through Cubello, but other than that this week is pretty ho-hum all around.

Edit: On another note, I feel as though I HAVE to ask this: WHERE THE HELL IS ALIEN CRUSH RETURNS!?!?!?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I was going to suggest for those who haven't, "don't get the update", but it looks like we don't have a choice, now do we?
I'm not talking about that thing...I'm talking about this:
Truth be told being able access it for nearly 2 years was rather lax of Nintendo.

Oh, hey, whats the update do? does it really kill screenshots for games?
The update fixes some bugs in the Wii OS relating to the instalation of applications and upgrades the Wii shop. You could access the old Wii Shop through a PC and sometimes see screenshots of yet to be released items by guessing their URL. As time went on the time gap got shorter to the point you would see the screens about an hour before the shop updated. Until people put videos on Youtube those screens were the only things we had for Orbiant and Cubello.

So basically, now we have to wait for someone to get the game and put a video up on Youtube.

I can't believe it, the third 'Art Style' game. When do we get one? =(
Its inexcusable, we should have had one by now. Oh well roll on November 7th...

According to Hudson-Wiiware.com it is "Not Yet Determined" for EU+AUS and "TBD (To be determined)" for the USA. On a plus note the price is the same boat :)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I hope America gets MaBoShi and Home Sweet Home next week just to allow us Europeans to catch up a little.

dr_j

dr_j said:

We should just get some wiiware games this friday, so that we are able to catch up. C'mon Ninty, give me some Art Style!

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

meh Nothing really interests me this week. I'm still waiting for Eternity's Child

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

At this rate I doubt the Art Style series will ever disappoint. Rotohex is Dialhex plus a vs Mode.

I've only made it to the color purple so far. Very fun and simple like the rest. You have to complete same-colored hexagons by rotating around triangles as indicated by the pulsing hexagons on the sideline. Once you finish six hexagons of that color a new color to complete gets thrown into the mix and, naturally, the triangles increase in drops as you progress.

Every now and then a special triangle gets dropped, which can have one of two effects when the special piece is used in clearing a hexagon... let's say the special triangle is light green; match the base with a different colored triangle's base, i.e. a blue one, and all other light green triangles on the playfield will be turned blue. If it was facing another light green triangle it clears a whole column and a limited amount of extra triangles will tumble out of the playfield.

Another one to be recommended. ;)

Serpent

Serpent said:

Its an alright week, nothing that special but atleast we get three good games.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Well I went ahead and deleted my comment, because I didn't want to start anything with some AS/SB fans.

But yeah, neither of these games interest me.
And I don't care for Earthworm Jim on the VC either.
It's not often three good games get released, and I don't care for any of them. :P

breaderer

breaderer said:

I got Rotohex, at first its hard with no tutorial, but as I kept playing it got more fun..Its a great game

Killraven

Killraven said:

OH man, I wish we were getting the art style games. i just don't see a reason not to release them.
they are all pretty solid purchases from me, especially considering price.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Not a bad week, but, nothing for me.
I can't believe they actually delayed Alien Crush Returns, and that is not even determined for when :(, still, thanks for the info Starwolf_UK.

Virus

Virus said:

Well, nothing for me this week, but it's a pretty good week regardless.

Killraven

Killraven said:

Hey Guys So i know it's off topic, but what does everyone think of World of Goo, If you've had the chance to play it.

I'd rate it a 9, Great game and i had so much fun playing it. and it was someof the best hours of gaming i have had this year.

But i finished the game in 6 hours, and in my opinion there is very little replay value to be had.

also that being said, i've resuced about 300 goo, but i've seen people in tower mode have close to 600, like where did they get all those goo balls from?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Well the review for Rotohex is done. The guys will go over it when they wake up and it should be up shortly thereafter. Sorry for the slight delay. Been a long week already. :)

ness

ness said:

@ Pegasus: Although i never had the chance to play the multiplayer part, Dialhex has also a Versus-Mode.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I thought it was a really nice game. A few minor issues like players scrolling the screen in co-op (it can get annoying when one player scrolls the screen while you're trying to do a move) but if wasn't for the credits I wouldn't think so few people developed it and when you consider that it is an amazing job.

I never got the chance to beat it but I should be able to resume playing it shortly...

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Nice to see that you're still complaining about last weeks Wii update.
I've fixed it now though :( I'll just go back to complaining about NOE doing anything, NOA not caring about anything and the storage cirsis :P (my SD card copies at 1 block a second which is as fast as items seem to dowlonad at).

But i finished the game in 6 hours
Time-wise I seem to be on the same track assuming each chapter takes the same amount of time to beat.