Treasure To Support WiiWare?

Posted by Damien McFerran

Treasure president Masato Maegawa has confirmed that his company is looking at producing games for downloadable content services such as WiiWare and XBLA.

Speaking to 1up.com, Maegawa commented that he really liked the job fellow Japanese developer IntiCreates did with Mega Man 9. This might suggest that Treasure is looking at doing similar things with its own IP – which should get all serious video game fans very excited indeed. New Gunstar Heroes, anyone?

However, before you get carried away with the idea of Treasure throwing its weight behind WiiWare, it’s worth noting that Maegawa also stated that the company’s focus would remain on traditional ‘disc based’ releases, and the upcoming Sin & Punishment 2 will NOT be a WiiWare release - something that had been rumoured recently. Boo.

Maegawa also gave his thoughts on the Virtual Console service, details of which you can find over at our sister site Virtual Console Reviews.

Source: 1up.com

Objection

Objection said:

Very exciting news! I hope that they put out another great effort, which they likely will, but don't expect anything this year. As a side note, I didn't need to first-post for any reason...I'm just evil :P

lucario13

lucario13 said:

Hope they do make gunstar heroes 2, Maybe a few other treasure sequels, they make great gmaes.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

i'd kinda like to see some of their 32-bit games ported to WiiWare if possible.

ElectricSplash

ElectricSplash said:

yeah! Treasure is one of my favourites developers in the world. I's nearly always a seal of quality.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

"Super Duper Gunstar Heroes", yeah, hands down :)
I hope Mega Man 9 can be inspiration for many developers, I fully support a back to basics trend!

BlueRider

BlueRider said:

That will be cool to have a new Gunstar Heroes game if it actually come out would it look classic or have next gen graphic well not really next gen graphic but close to it

timp29

timp29 said:

I just bought the GC Ikaruga. No doubt they'll go and release it on WiiWare - just like on the xbox or whatever - and make my shiny GC disc worthless :P

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Oh man! First Sin and Punishment 2 and now this? AWESOME!!!!!!
Imagines playing online Guardian Heroes

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I think Treasure should make an all-new shooter for WiiWare. Or maybe a Bangai-o sequel. No, stick to the new shooter. How about a cute 'em up? :)

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

As much as I hate to spend the extra money, I'm glad Sin & Punishment 2 is going to be disc-based. I'd rather have a nice full-length game. A wiiware game would probably be too short.

morphballer

morphballer said:

Whatdoyamean boo?! As long as it from Treasure and its on a Nintendo system, I don't care how they decide to release it.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Wow would I love to see a collaboration between Treasure and Cave, arguably the two greatest shooter developers ever. That would be like the shooter equivalent of Chrono Trigger. :)

Naturestee

Naturestee said:

I'd love to see Treasure do absolutely anything for WiiWare. Please Treasure, take all my monies!

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

i love sin and punishment and im looking greatly forward for the second one it is going to be fun

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

Sin & Punishment 2 is going to be good. This time I can play Treasure games when they're originally released! (I was FMV-obsessed back in the day. Now that FMV is dead and routinely lambasted, I’m all Nintendo.)

(I still think Super Duper Gunstar Heroes would be good though...)

MegaRockman_1990

MegaRockman_1990 said:

I liked the first gunstar heroes game on vc so much and i would gladly pay for 2nd title of this series. if this comes it will be a 1day download :)

SupermarketZombies

SupermarketZombies said:

I'm definitely looking forward to Sin & Punishment 2 :O

Any new Treasure game in fact...

EDIT: And any old Treasure game except for McDonald's Treasureland Adventure.

PHANTOM93

PHANTOM93 said:

Now if only SEGA hopped onto the Wiiware band wagon, then we'd be pretty close to a full house of retro awesomeness! :-P
(Dammit SEGA, listen to the people and make the Sonic the Hedgehog 4 that we've always wanted :-P)

TopHatPangolin

TopHatPangolin said:

"...the upcoming Sin & Punishment 2 will NOT be a WiiWare release - something that had been rumoured recently."
If it's not on WiiWare, I hope it lasts a bit more than a few hours. >=
Anyway, yeah: Treasure! Whoo!

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Do people here not know that there already is a Gunstar Heroes 2 or do they just choose to ignore that out of some sort of dislike for the game? Goes by the name Gunstar Super Heroes and is on the GBA. I guess the mention of a Bangai-O sequel was a jab at that (Bangai-O Spirits, DS)?

Metal_Slime

Metal_Slime said:

Im in for anything those guys decide to put out. Seems with four players and the wii's graphics and all that, we could do with some Rakugaki Showtime!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Imagines playing online Guardian Heroes
I was thinking last night Treasure+WiiWare should equal Guardian Heroes. As long as its not Advance Guardian Heros (the slowdown is one tihng but the ruined gameplay is another).

SEGA are in the mess they are in mianly due to listening to fans. It was a web servey (I kid you not) that resulted in Shadow the hedgehog...

PHANTOM93

PHANTOM93 said:

^ I wasn't entirely serious when I made that statement. (hence the :-P at the end of it) Besides, it would be awesome if Sonic went retro.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Alright! I can't wait to see what these guys come up with! I imagine they'll make a port or sequel to Ikaruga, and (hopefully) a new GH, among other things.

@Kevin, Lucario13. There was a Gunstar Heroes 2. It was called Gunstar Super Heroes.