Top 20 WiiWare Games in USA (15th Oct)

Posted by Corbie Dillard

It's Wednesday again which can only mean one thing. It's time to take a look at the most popular WiiWare titles available in the Wii Shop. If you're feeling adventurous you can even take a look for yourself by simply logging on to your Wii Shop channel, heading into the WiiWare section and then viewing "Popular Games". It's that simple! Trust us, if we can do it, anyone can.

We compile this list using the USA region Wii Shop channel, so if you live elsewhere your list will probably be quite a bit different. Please feel free to post your region's findings below as always.

Keep in mind that the list below is a measure of actual sales made recently, not of the total time the game has been available for sale.

Here is the list for the 15th of October:

16 (14) - LostWinds
17 (15) - Midnight Pool
18 (N) - Art Style: Cubello
19 (16) - Family Table Tennis
20 (17) - Cocoto Fishing Master

N denotes a new entry

It doesn't really come as much of a surprise that Mega Man 9 and Bomberman Blast are both still clinging to the top two spots on the charts. These have been two of the most popular games to see a release on the WiiWare service to date and there are no signs that they're losing their early momentum.

Unlike last week, both new WiiWare releases charted this week. World of Goo debuted at #4 while Nintendo's Art Style: CUBELLO came in at #18. We made no secret that World of Goo was by far and away our favorite WiiWare release to date and it seems Wii owners fully agreed. Then again, who doesn't love Goo?

The biggest climber on the charts was easily Midnight Bowling, which didn't even chart last week yet managed to jump all the way up to #8 on this week's chart. The big droppers this week were Frat Party Games: Pong Toss and Strong Bad Episode 2: Strong Badia the Free, both of which fell 4 spots.

It's also worth noting that four of the six WiiWare launch titles are still active on the chart. It will be interesting to see how long these titles can hold out and remain in the Top 20. Who knows, maybe Lost Winds will still be on the chart when its sequel is released.

There you have it, this week's Top 20 US WiiWare titles. We'll be back with a new chart next Wednesday. (We know we didn't need to tell you that, but we needed to pad this news item a bit more)

As always, have your say on this week’s findings below. We'd love to hear what you have to say.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I promised a rant if World of Goo wasn't number 1 so here it is.

I don't get you danmed people. "Wa wa 1500 pooints isn't too much" yet back in May you didn't seem to give a poo about 1500 points being too much when you bought FFCC: My life as a king. Oh I forgot that has the words Final Fantasy in its title so somehow it is worth more despite the fact Final Fantasy has practically nothing to do with the game and its gameplay...did I mention world of goo was 1500 points for the full product unlike said FF game or Mega Man 9 fro that matter...

Now thats out of my system...
Officially I was part of the problem since I'm unable to get World of Goo till tomorrow :(
Also, Bomberman Blast had a similar first week even being beaten by the old as the hills Dr.Mario. At least World of Goo beat that...

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Nice to see Art Style Orbient still up there. And Mega Man 9 (the current UK #3 - behind My Aquarium and BMB). Oh, and hai there WoG. At least pricier games can sell well - providing they get the good reviews (heres looking at you, Plattchen).
@lucario: SB2 is at 12 here, with SB1 at 13. On the other hand, we've still got Helix in our top 5 - you ain't got that one at all.
@StarfoxUK: Dr Mario's about 17/18 here. These different regions really are different.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Looks like there will be an interesting fight for first place next week between Mega Man 9, World Of Goo and Tetris Party. Mega Man should have lost most of its momentum by now, if you were excited about it before you would have bought it by now, while at the same time World Of Goo is on the other hand gaining momentum now with all the positive reviews coming out and Tetris, well it's Tetris... Needs no presentation. We'll see who'll come out on top.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@Starwolf_UK - Relax, will ya? Your blood pressure is going to go through the roof, which just isn't good for your health. ;)

To answer your complaint, though, I don't think the problem is that 1500 points is too much. I think many people have the same problem you do. 1500 points is more than most folks have lying around. Since it is out of their budget for the moment, it may be a week or two before they are able to commit to the purchase. That delay will likely spread out sales and result in a slower climb to #1. (Assuming the spread doesn't prevent World of Goo from reaching #1!)

Remember, sales are by week.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

@Starwolf_UK
For me, it's not "Wa wa 1500 is too much!", but rather "Wa wa 320 blocks is too much!" Ah well.

Defend your Castle gets displaced by Midnight Bowling?! Shame...

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Starwolf, remember, all we see is relative positions. I don't know how FFCC fared in the charts but even if it took #1 that's no indication that it sold better than World of Goo now, for all we know the sales volumes could have increased a lot and what was enough to take #1 back in the day is nowhere close now.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

The problem is that it's up against Mega Man 9 and Bomberman Blast.
And My Aquarium being added into those. Why buy one game when you can have two...

But seriously, I do hope the cost isn't the main problem as comments arround the web have led me to believe :(

Djungelurban

(13) 15 - My Pokémon Ranch
(17) 16 - Strong Bad Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner
(16) 17 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster
(18) 18 - Star Soldier R
(20) 19 - Pirates: The Key Of Dreams
(-) 20 - Potpourrii

This week's chart had both new games enter the chart in perhaps not too impressive fashion, although a top 10 position for Midnight Bowling is kinda decent atleast. Maybe more notable though is that this is the first time we've seen Potpourrii enter ANY chart anywhere, if still just barely. In effect Toki Tori and Block Breaker Deluxe got booted even though I suspect that Toki Tori may very well reclaim that 20th position from Potpourrii unless NoE decided you break from the current release pattern and give us something other than just VC games this Friday. Other notable details are that Mega Man 9 is still going strong at the top, Helix is still in 4th (quite impressive considering its performance elsewhere) and that Strong Bad Episode 2 dropped a massive 7 spots this week.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Oh, and just saying... Wasn't Defend Your Castle, FFCC:MLAAK and TV Show King released at the same time as Lost Winds? They're performing better than Lost Winds... In US atleast. In Sweden though, it is the best charting launch title right now (Defend Your Castle wasn't a launch title in Europe).

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I only mentioned Lost Winds because it was our first review. But you are correct. I edited the article to be more politically correct. :P

David77

David77 said:

Defend your castle.... The biggest mystery on wiiware. I understand that a bad game like Pokemon ranch sell well, the game have a name. But defend your castle? Even at 100 pts it's a lost. It's so boring and lifeless and pointless and ugly and bad and boring and.....well.

shadows262

shadows262 said:

world of goo did extraordinarily good for it being released not even 2 days ago
but it doesnt surprise me

Jazzem

Jazzem said:

I honestly didn't expect World of Goo to do so well given the high price. Very happy to see it doing successfully, I downloaded the PC demo today and absolutely loved it :)

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Jazzem - Where did you download the PC demo? I'd like to do that, but I'm far too lazy, umm, I mean busy to do so.

@Topic
No surprises here. As always, some of the worst WiiWare titles are on there, but the best ones still hold the top.

I changed my avatar. I'm not sure why. I'll probably change it back to Superstar Saga Weegee eventually, or maybe I'll go way back to VCR days and make it the SMW Mario.

Paper92

Paper92 said:

@ Djungelurban

Where does it say that tetris party is coming out next week? Am i just behind on my news or something?

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Starwolf_UK-
Oh. That probably would have been a good place to check, ha.

EDIT: I tried the first few levels. I like it! I will be purchasing WoG!

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

@Starwolf_UK

I'll get World of Goo eventually, but right now I am holding my Nintendo Points (yes, Ninty Points) for Alien Crush Return. Sorry, it's on my top priority list with Goo and Orbient at 2nd.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Clayfrd. I think he got it from Steam, but all I saw on that was the full game, which was $20. You can get the free demo here.
Edit: err, nevermind.

@David77, #18. LIES! ALL LIES!! :P

@Peznaze. I think it's a combination of the two, really. With all the high-profile games coming up on both VC AND Wiiware, saving up 1500 points is asking a lot, and the 320-block size doesn't help.

@Starwolf. Calm yourself, buddy. I never expected WoG to hit the top 3 this soon. Methinks it's because of the size, price, and competition, like I said just a minute ago. Give it a few more days. It'll climb the ranks. ;)
It might even knock MM9 off it's #1 perch! :o

@Chart. Ahhhh yeeeeesss. I like what I see! Well, for the most part anyway. Cocoto and Family Table Tennis are almost dead, which is nice, but now people are starting to fall for Midnight Bowling, and Cubello's debut is quite disappointing.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Crap! I just installed the WoG demo, but my computer said it can't play it because I didn't have any "Direct3D devices". Can anybody explain to me what these are and where I can get them?

zombiekillr

zombiekillr said:

how is TV show king staying up there?!!!!! this is a crazy world we live in.. when TV show king is ahead of Lostwinds..... and hopefully pong toss will be gone soon too

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Mr. Cheez- I can't help you. I think that's something internally that would be difficult to fix quickly. WoG works for me, and I can readily recommend it. If you still want that picture of Mario with Bowser's Sourpuss bread from Hotel Mario, I think I can get that for you. (Sorry, that was something you mentioned a while ago, and I just felt like responding to it).

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@Paper92
Check out the Tetris Party article on the site.

Wrong.
How about YOU check the Tetris Party article.
Then read the last comment, in which we come to the conclusion Hudson removed the release date from the website.

As of right now, there is NO release date for Tetris Party.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Clayfrd. Well, thanks for responding anyway. It could possibly have something to do with the site I downloaded it from, Bigdownloads, the site I suggested to you before Starwolf gave you the (better) link to 2D Boy's home site. Hopefully someone else that knows about it will chime in here and tell me.

As for the sourpuss bread picture thing, I didn't know you read that (and I'm surprised you even remember it!), but maybe I'll get it later. I'm pretty happy with Wario right now. :)

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

No! My Pokémon Ranch is falling! (Then again,I should wait for Pokémon Platinum to rectify that.) Fortunately, Pong Toss fell much low, while My Life as a King stays fine. I cannot find Toki Tori, though...

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Mr. Cheez- Just let me know if you ever need that picture.
Oh, and by the way you worded it, you either need the latest version of DirectX or you need a different graphics card. That's my guess. Let's hope you just need to get the most recent DirectX. You can download the most recent here.

Edit: Oh, and earlier you noted that no one cared about Captain Falcon, well notice my new avatar (Why do I remember everything you say?). I actually own every (US release) F-Zero game. I'd have to say my favorite is a toss up between F-Zero GP Legend for GBA (the story's garbage based on the anime, but the racing is great) and F-Zero GX for GCN. F-Zero 1 and X are also up there. I really didn't care too much for Maximum Velocity...

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

I didn't say that. Digiki did. I love the captain, and in fact, I had a Captain Falcon avatar myself at one time. Remember? He rode on the dragoon?

Anyways, I just installed the DirectX file you linked me to, and, unfortunately, it wasn't compatible. :(
I really don't understand why it isn't. Maybe 2D Boy's site can tell me which Direct3D app. is compatible. Thanks for trying anyway.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Anyone buy World of Goo on WiiWare AND download the PC demo?
I did. lol
I've played through the first chapter on my Wii, and now I just played through the first chapter on my PC.
I just can't get enough!

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Alexsays. What direct3D device were you using? I'm trying to play the PC demo and it keeps telling me I don't have any compatible direct3D devices. I DLed directX 10 a while ago, but that didn't work. Have any advice? I wanna play Goo really, really badly! :'(

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

Yeah, the C. Falcon dragoon avatar is why I thought you were the one that said that. Sorry I couldn't help out with your Direct3D problem. You could try contacting 2D Boy; other than that, I'm out of ideas :(

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ Mr. Cheez- I have absolutely no idea.
I can't even name the key parts of a computer.
My brother handles all that technical stuff. :P

Virus

Virus said:

Well, I'm more than happy that World of Goo is doing so well. I haven't bought it myself, but that's only because it's too expensive...I kid you Starwolf_UK. :P

Anyway, I'll be tracking this game's success to see how higher-priced games do on WiiWare. With a larger library of WiiWare games, my pessimisstic predictions are telling me these games won't have as much of a lasting success commercially as games like My Aquarium and DYC or even any $10 game.

World_1-1

World_1-1 said:

Nice to see Mega Man 9 still selling awesome. I expect World of Goo to take the #1 spot next week though.

Stratos

Stratos said:

Awww Man! I never noticed until this article that WoG is 1500. Not complaining that it is too much, but the last time I was able to take my Wii to a friends house w/ Wi-Fi access I bought $50 worth of points and spent all but 1000 that was being saved for WoG...need more points...

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Good old World of Goo, I predict it will hog the #2 spot from next week onwards for a good while. I would be so chuffed for 2D Boy if it could usurp Mega Man's lofty rank, but lets face it, the odds are against that happening!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Anyone buy World of Goo on WiiWare AND download the PC demo?
I did. lol

I did but the other way round...though I never instaled the PC demo :(

I was just on the wiiware channel and WOG has moved up to number 2.

I just noticed that while getting it :)

Anyway since I was on the Japanese shop buying myself some points I decided to note down the Japanese chart. This will not be a regular occurance...I'll use English names where I know them:
01-Mega Man 9
02-Bomberman Blast (NEW)
03-My Pokermon Ranch
04-Gradius Rebirth
05-Aero Guitar (NEW)
06-Tetris Party (NEW)
07-My Aquarium
08-MaBoShi (NEW)
09-FFCC:My life as a King
10-Midnight Bowling
11-Mojipitan
12-This Mahjong game
13-Family Table Tennis
14-Space Invaders Get even
15-This Mahjong game (NEW)
16-Dr.Mario Germ Buster
17-This weird puzzle game (NEW)
18-TV Show Quiz
19-Darts Wii (NEW)
20-Wild West Guns

I find it odd to see My Pokemon Ranch and Gradius rebirth so close to each other...says how broad the audience for WiiWare is in Japan.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Would you look at that, Gradius is a big hit. Give us your big hit already... Or what the hell, might just give up and use that little thing you talked about in that other topic Starwolf.

Airola

15. SPOGS Racing
16. My Pokemon Ranch
17. Potpourrii
18. Block Breaker Deluxe
19. TV Show King
20. Actionloop Twist

It seems like Toki Tori is more popular here in Finland than it is anywhere else :D

Kevin

Kevin said:

I'm glad Mega Man 9 is still #1. The game is very hard to put down!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

All I remember of the UK chart is My Aquarium at numbner 1, Bomberman Balkst at number 2 Mega Man 9 at number 3 and FF:CC My life as a King at number 10. I've switched the Wii off for today so sorry :(

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Clayfrd. I remember now. I didn't exactly say no one cared about Captain Falcon, I said it SEEMED that no one cared about C. Falcon, and that's why I chose that avatar. Digiki said he sucked as a Brawl character. And since you've played nearly every F-Zero game ever made, You've definitely proven me wrong! I've only played the first one. :P

@Alexsays. Well....Ask your brother then. :P

this demo better be damn good for all the hassle it's putting me through.

Edit: nevermind. I just sent an Email to 2D Boy. They should clear things up.

Banquo

15. SPOGS Racing
16. Pirates: The Key of Dreams
17. (N) Potpourrii
18. Actionloop Twist
19. Block Breaker Deluxe
20. Toki Tori

My Aquarium at place 1. Please don't ask me why.

Serpent

Serpent said:

Pretty good debut for World of Goo (Lets hope it keeps going higher) . Thats probably the best Top 5 so far.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Mr. Cheez- Hmm, that can't be true, I just went 6-0 online as Captain Falcon the other night; let me run over to Smash Wiki to read the tier list....
WHAT!? Last place! That's bull$4!7! What's that? His priority sucks?! You suck, Smash Wiki! I hate you!
Sorry. That just makes me sad to see Captain Falcon nerfed 31 places... I demand downloadable patches for this ridiculous oversight!

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

World of Goo is now the number 2 most popular WiiWare game in the US region. The game is amazing...download it now if you haven't had the chance.

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

WoG is up to #1 now. I just got it, and I like it a lot. It has a steeper than average learning curve, but once you get used to it, it's a blast.