New WiiWare Games: Cave Story And Boingz

Posted by Darren Calvert

We got a pleasant surprise in a recent press release sent to us from Nintendo. Aside from all the other news such as Wii Music, a new Punch-Out!!, and Sin & Punishment 2 which are coming to the Wii there was also some fresh info about WiiWare for a change!

We knew all about Tetris Party, Strong Bad Episode 3 and World of Goo, but we were surprised to hear confirmation that the rumour that the excellent Cave Story is coming to WiiWare is actually true!

For those not in the know about Cave Story you might want to read up a bit about it on this excellent fansite. If games like Metroid, Castlevania and Megaman are your cup of tea then you will go crazy for this. The pixel art style is very impressive for a recent game, it’s easy to see how much care and attention to detail has gone into this game. It’s going to make a great addition to WiWare that’s for sure.

In addition to this there is also an game called Boingz by NinjaBee studio which sounds like it might be quite interesting. It’s suddenly all looking pretty great for WiiWare.

More from the press release:

WiiWare delivers great new games directly to Wii consoles that are connected to the Internet. Nintendo’s downloadable game service will see games like:

• Tetris Party: This game will feature 18 game modes, including 10 never-before-seen single-player and multiplayer variations of Tetris. Some modes will use the unique capabilities of the Wii Remote and the Wii Balance Board.
  • Strong Bad Episode 3: This third episode in the series features humorous story-driven game play, music-themed collectibles and achievements and an old-school side scrolling shoot 'em up mini-game, as well as a special celebrity guest appearance by rock gods Limozeen!
  • World of Goo: This title is an award-winning, physics-based puzzle/construction game. Grab living, squirming, talking globs of goo to build structures, bridges, cannonballs, zeppelins and giant tongues.
  • Cave Story: This title is an action-adventure game with new, exclusive content and features created only for the WiiWare version.
  • Boingz: Developed by the award-winning studio NinjaBee and published by RealNetworks, Inc., Boingz introduces players to bendy, stretchy little critters who've found themselves scattered about an alien world. Using the Wii Remote, players can grab, stretch and fling the rubber-band bodies of the Boingz to bounce them around the environments and help them find their way home.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Cave Story will be another game on my "WiiWare games to get" list. Thanks Dazza, thats awesome it's coming to WiiWare! :D

Objection

Objection said:

Awesome! Always good 2 hear about new games! And that conference was so awesome! Better than Ninty's last 2 showings at E3 combined!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Awesome. Could have done with a few more announcements on some upcoming first party WW titles though

Jazzem

Jazzem said:

Cave Story!

This game is absolutely fantastic, and I will be more than happy to pay for a WiIWare version. For anyone who hasn't played it I can't recommend the PC version enough, or the WiiWare one of course :)

I just hope this doesn't mean the DS homebrew port will be cancelled, as I really want a handheld version of the game.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@Alejandro - Maboshi is probably going to come out in the USA this month. Watch out for part 2 of our interview soon which should tie in with the release :-)

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Cave Story is the best free game of all time, and I will gladly pay whatever it costs for the new content.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Cave Story? Really? Ah hah, this should be fun then... especially as it isn't going to be a straight port :)

Objection

Objection said:

I hadn't heard of Cave Story before this, but now I am quite excited for its release! I am debating whetehr I shoud play the PC freeware version to hold me over or to just wait and be even more surpirsed with the WW release.

LucBernard

LucBernard said:

damn I thought I was the only one to know about Cave Story coming to wiiware lol

I felt special before Nintendo did this press release

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Luc you are special to us still :-p

Now tell us all your little developer secrets or EC gets 1/10!! hehe

Naturestee

Naturestee said:

Cave Story= instabuy!

Boingz sounds interesting, could be fun. I hate z's tacked on the end of words though. Like Petz Catz, ugh.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I've heard of Cave Story before, and I've played some of Ninja Bee's games and they were pretty good, so I'll be looking foreward to both of these games.

LucBernard

LucBernard said:

@Dazza

public blackmail now i am going to sue wiiware world for blackmail lol

but in all honestly I think Cave Story might be the first WWW game to get 10/10

GEncore

GEncore said:

IGN said "You can expect World of Goo in October - maybe VERY early October". Do you know anything about this WiiWare World folks? If it came out on Monday that'd be great...

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

I spoke to Ron today about World of Goo as it happens. He is waiting for a final date and pricing from Nintendo, but he is pretty certain it is going to be "sometime" this month. I can't wait! :D

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

THANK YOU! Cave Story sounds like what I've been pleading for, wiiware needs more platform, adventure games.

@Dazza
Thanks for the MaBoShi info, I can't wait for the rest of the interview, the first part was great. ;)

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

Maybe I'll finally finish Cave Story... on the Wii then. It's been sitting on my Mac's HD for a long time now. Well into the game I got distracted by other things, such as real life, and I never was able to get back into it. With new content it'll definitely be worth the cash.

It's good to see more quality titles... although "Let's Catch" should be re-titled "Let's Not!" It'll be ignored by me just like all the other shovelware.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

I never even heard of Cave Story before, but it looks incredible! And it's a platforming-type game, which Wiiware really needs more of. Boingz looks pretty cool too, despite the obnoxious replacement of "S" with "Z".

First a storage solution, then M&L 3 and S&P 2, and now these games! I'm gonna go into a coma from all these great announcements! :o

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

Cave Story!!?!?! No way! I remember that game, it's amazing! Everyone should go download it now, it's freeware!

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Are you kiddin me?! A complete conversion of Cave Story for the Wii? I just started with it but I guess I'm gonna hold off playing through it on PC then cause this is too awesome to not support. And alos, extra content sounds great. I'm thinking it might very well be the first 10/10 here on this site. Sweetness!

megacody

megacody said:

Oi! Can it be safe to say with all this good news from Nintendo, that the E3 disappointment can all be forgotten?

Serpent

Serpent said:

YES!!!! Cave Story!!
I would pay 2000 wii points for that game to be honest.

WindOnFire

WindOnFire said:

Cave story? I'll wait for more info and a review before jumping aboard the hype train. Boingz looks interesting... except for the z.

TopHatPangolin

TopHatPangolin said:

YES! CAVE STORY! I kind of hope they don't make use of the Wiimote, unless they up the difficulty a bit. But seriously. When this game comes out, GET IT. Every single one of you! *Not excited at all about Tetris. One version of the game should be enough for anyone. Plus the hand-held versions make it a lot more pick-up-and-playable. Unless the different game modes add a lot to the old Tetris formula, I'll pass.*I hope Boingz looks A LOT better when it comes out. I probably won't get it, but if they're making a game they might as well give it some polish. The terrain looks so... ugh.
P.S. @WindOnFire: Is it really "hype" if the game has already been released and played before?

Saki

Saki said:

Normally, I just luk the boards getting info.....then Sin & Punishment 2 came along and I had to register, so......hi, nice to meet you guys, and BTW, i've never heard of Cave Story, is it worth getting?

genEric

genEric said:

oh my... i'm shaking. i practically fell out of my chair when i read that Cave Story is making it's way to WiiWare. but i do wonder if any new content will be made exclusive to the Wii? i think it should seeing as how you can get it free (as posted above).
also, Boingz looks fairly interesting. a new Puzzle-Plat would be nice being that i played Toki-Tori to death. ...cannibal...

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

@Mr. Cheez - In a sponanious act of kindness, I almost asked you for your Wii code so I could gift you a game, but my niceness just died equally as spontaneously. The status on that has dropped to maybe...

@Topic
Everyone seems to love Cave Story; I'll have to check it out.