Mart Racer To Bring Supermarket Sweep Excitement To WiiWare

Posted by Darren Calvert

Ever wished that you could take part in a trolley dash like on that old TV game show Supermarket Sweep? If so, all your dreams have come true because Joju Games have created such a game just for you!

Yes friends, Mart Racer is the game you have been waiting for! Here are more details from the guys at Joju Games:

Mart Racer is an upcoming game for WiiWare. Compete against your friends to see who gets all the items in their list and runs to the cashiers before anyone else does. Play with up to 4 friends locally, or online through Wi-Fi Connection.

You can play the game alone, or with 3 other people. There will always be 4 contestants; AI will fill the the spot for the rest of the players. The premise is pretty simple: everybody gets a list of 6 items they should collect, and run to the cashiers before anyone else does. The 6 items are spread around the supermarket, but they only re-spawn every 1 minute. So after the first few seconds you either need to decide to wait until the items re-spawn (that would be the bad strategy), or decide to steal items from others (that would be the good strategy).

So one thing you could do is to grab plungers and throw them to your opponents. If you hit somebody, they'll be knocked out for a few seconds, and that's when you can run to their card and automatically steal an item from them. There are 6 different power-ups you can use in the game. Some of them are for attacking other people, and some others are to protect yourself from their attacks.

In Wi-Fi Connection, you can play against up to 4 people online. We support Friend Codes too, so you can get together with your buddies.

OK perhaps the game concept doesn’t quite resonate with our refined tendencies here at WiiWare World, but we don’t write off any game until we have played it. For a small developer we are mighty impressed that they have implemented multiplayer Wi-Fi support so perhaps we should give this game our attention.

Mart Racer is due sometime before the end of 2008. Check out the official trailer:

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I caught the video earlier on YouTube - it doesn't half look naff.

On the other hand - it's got an online mode. I might get this just so that I can pwn all the n00bs that buy this in the first place...

Oh, and first comment! Wooo!

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

Nice use of cell-shaded graphics. It only needs a little work on the steering I think.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

It just sounds like a cheap capture the flag mini game. If you want a capture the flag game folks, get Bomberman Blast for the mini game where you collect the king crown. Not this. I mean, come off it: using a plunger as a weapon?!?!?

JoshZTP

JoshZTP said:

The actual game show is FAR supperior... who in their right mind would want a game like this when you can watch the Game Show Channel on your very own tv!!!
>:(

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I think this could be interesting. It depends largely on the price...

@JoshZTP: Some people just prefer interactive experiences, and not all of us have cable TV either, believe it or not.

JoshZTP

JoshZTP said:

Well I don't like Wii Ware games when I know they'll turn out mediocre! :(
As a matter of fact... I dislike WiiWare completely... a bunch of third party crap... except the exceptional awesome games like Tetris Party, Megaman, Bomberman, Dr. Mario, and games like that!

Terra

Terra said:

While it is unusual compared to some of the other stuff i've seen for WiiWare, i have to say that i think it'll end up as a mediocre game. I didn't expect Wi-Fi support for something like this, which will certainly boost the experience. The graphics looked sub-par but at the core, it could possibly be fun. I have a tendency every now and then to be lenient on games and they just end up as crap, so that's changing now. Sometimes it's gut instinct and sometimes, it's obvious

danik

danik said:

interesting concept but i dont think it will be that good to be fair, looks like a basic flash game but you never no

pdrydia

pdrydia said:

It's been a while since I watched the game, but as I recall, no one threw any plungers at competitors to stun them and gank their goodies. This looks like it could be neat. Let's hope they don't screw up the power-ups like Major League Eating (supposedly) did.

Virus

Virus said:

Why the hell would I want to buy this? I can totally do this at any supermarket without the video game! :P

Serpent

Serpent said:

Looks like more Shovelware but then again it has online game play so i guess that's a step up.

MrPoo6321

MrPoo6321 said:

This game is homophobic. 6 different couples and I didn't see any male-male or female-female couples.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Wi-fi is the only reason I'm interested in this. They better get the price right otherwise it'll be a big turn-off. I think 600 would be appropriate.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

The only think I though while watching the video is: "this must take a lot of blocks" even if its cheap, I'm not wasting my memory on this, it doesn't look like fun.

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

I have to disagree with the majority of people here and say that I actually like what I've seen. Provided it isn't too expensive, I'll certainly be getting this.

Objection

Objection said:

Hmm? I think the graphics are fine. Will I get this? Depends on what single player is offered and what the price is.
@Virus--Me too! You and me should go to the same supermarket and bump the hell out of each other!!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I'm currently on the fence about whether or not to get Donkey Kong Jr Math, or wait for this...

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Every game that gets announced makes Wiiware look worse and worse. The only good game so far imo is MM9. This takes the biscuit!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Outrunner: I know a helluva lotta peeps that would disagree with you there. I bring your attention to FFCCMLAAK, LostWinds, Strongbad's Cool Game, Actionloop Twist, TV Show King, MaBoShi, Bomberman Blast and Toki Tori* (or, for all your Americapeeps: replace MBS with World of Goo, and add in Tetris Party and the Art Style series).
If you don't like at least two of those, then your officially a muppet.

*All of which I own, excl. FFCC