Introducing High Voltage Hot Rod Show for WiiWare

Posted by Darren Calvert

After High Voltage Software’s success with Gyrostarr on WiiWare, it is good to see them continuing to support the service with a new game simply called High Voltage Hot Rod Show. Unlike Gyrostarr this game will be a full on racing game, it looks like ExciteTruck from a overhead angle.

There is still no confirmation from the studio on Animales de la Muerte yet, rumours have been flying about that it will be too big to fit within WiiWare’s 40MB file limit so it will probably end up being Wii Retail. Watch this space, when we know for sure we’ll let you know.

Below the fold you can see the video trailer and some screenshots, we have to say it's looking pretty sweet. Let's hope we don't have to wait too long for this.

Check out the press release for this upcoming game:

Hoffman Estates, IL – October 10, 2008 - High Voltage Software, Inc., one of the world’s largest independent developers, today announced High Voltage Hot Rod Show, an intense new racing title scheduled for release on the WiiWare downloadable service later this Fall.

High Voltage Hot Rod Show requires players to master more than the basic racing skills to compete. A unique stunt system gives players multiple ways to build boost, which drastically increases a Hot Rod’s speed. If you get too greedy, you might crash and burn! The game utilizes the company’s proprietary Quantum 3 Game Engine technology, which provides graphical performance and game play not possible on other Wii titles.

“We wanted High Voltage Hot Rod Show to be a fresh and exciting racing title for the Wii that would provide up to four friends with endless replay value,” said Kerry Ganofsky, CEO and founder of High Voltage Software. “The result is a game that is easy to pick up and play, but maintains a core of skill-based racing, which gives it special appeal.”

“Style was important to us on this project,” said Benjamin Savage, Lead Artist on the title. “We were inspired by the work of Ed “Big Daddy” Roth and that led us to design some really exciting characters, Hot Rods, and even music. We hope players will love the direction we’ve taken.”

“We set the bar for ourselves very high with each new title” said Eric Nofsinger, Chief Creative Officer of High Voltage Software. “Not only have we created a fantastic racing title with support for split-screen racing and online leaderboards, but we’ve also demonstrated the incredible versatility of the Quantum 3 Game Engine.”

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Looks pretty cool. WiiWare needs a good solid racer. But I still want Animales de la Muerte. NOW! :)

calculon

calculon said:

Looks like they've taken Excite Truck and made an overhead version. If it plays anything like Excite Truck, they're on to a winner.

I'm looking forward to this more than Animales which I think will get pretty samey real quick. At least with a racer you expect that.

WiiMan192

WiiMan192 said:

Here's hoping that High Voltage supports the WiiWare service in PAL regions too! * cheer * :p
We have not seen ONE HV Game, so this one looks unlikely...

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

I like this, wiiware needs a good racing game, I hope this will fit in that category, as it seems.

ness

ness said:

Looks very interesting, but just 6 tracks? That's not much... =(

World_1-1

World_1-1 said:

Meh, I'll pass. Doesn't look too cool. On the other hand, World of Goo tomorrow!

Terra

Terra said:

That's great that they've revealed a new game, it looks nice and could be a winner but...

WHERE THE F*** IS GYROSTARR IN EUROPE HIGH VOLTAGE?!
I'm sorry but the fact that we haven't even got V.I.P Blackjack in Europe from them yet is really getting on my nerves and that they're announcing new games while we wait for it. I'm a shooter fan, so i really want Gyrostarr. I wonder if any of the team who did Tempest 2000 for the Saturn did Gyrostarr as well.

@WiiMan192 and PALgamer
Agreed with both of you

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Looks very interesting, but just 6 tracks? That's not much... =(
In real terms how many tracks did the early Ridge Racer games have? Not alot is the answer but Namco found lots of thing to do with those few tracks.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

This game looks WAY better than SPOGS Racing! :)
I'm planning on getting this game once it comes out.

ILoveWii

ILoveWii said:

After High Voltage's success with Gyrostarr and upcoming titles The Conduit and Animals De La Muerte, this could be a winner.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Looks like High Voltage is going for quantity over quality.
Instead of making a couple really good games, they'd rather make several mediocre ones.
Hopefully this doesn't affect The Conduit, as that seems to be their only worthwhile game at the moment.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Looking at the Racer select screen in the video, it reminds me of the PC/PS1 Road Rash game. Anyway I am keeping an eye on high voltage games. I think they me starting to become a top tier developer

Ren

Ren said:

cool,
RC pro am was my all time fav for this kind of "tiny" racing thing, it looks like this one is a little like that + Excite Trucks which I also like a lot. A working multi player makes it a must, too (excite Trucks' really sucked- who thought vertical split screen was a good idea?!). Finally an RC pro-am clone to give me the zone-out fix I got when I was in high school.

Adam

Adam said:

The trucks in Excite Truck are too big for horizontal splitscreen. You wouldn't be able to see what's in front of you.

This game looks quite good, but I've got Mario Kart Wii plus both F-Zeros downloaded... no need for another racer.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Looks pretty cool, I've always wanted to play an Excite Truck-like game, so I definitely will be keeping my eyes on this game.

Virus

Virus said:

Hopefully this game will actually be good because we need a buyable racing game for WiiWare. It's a pity Animales de la Muerte may not make it to WiiWare though. There's still hope...

Hydroswimmer12

Hydroswimmer12 said:

@ x. Supermario.x I disagree, I think gyrostarr are making serveral amazing games. I liked Gyrostarr, Animales looks amazing, and this looks promising. The real crud is Potpourri, Mad Stone, Plaatchen, and all those nasty puzzle games.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

Hydroswimmer12, Gyrostarr doesn't make games, it is a game.

I'm not interested in High Voltage. I will be when they discover Europe though.

shadows262

shadows262 said:

i love this game sooo much
i cant wait for it
you think they`ll add online multiplayer while their at it?
everyday i keep on lovin high voltage software they have THE CONDUIT already comin 2 wii in march which looks tight by the way!!!!
keep this up they`ll be a famous developing team like “retro studios”

shadows262

shadows262 said:

and the whole “40mb of memory space thing” by the time this game comes out that wiiware and VC games saved to the SD feature will be in affect so everyone dont panic
unless it comes out in the next few weeks then u guys can blame it all on me

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

I'm not interested in High Voltage. I will be when they discover Europe though.

Yeah, I'm not sure what their problem is with Europe.
Unfortunately, they haven't released anything spectacular here either. lol

Objection

Objection said:

@supermario--Spectacular? No. But the only Wiiware games that fit into that category based on WWW reviews are FFCC, LostWinds, MM9, Toki Tori and a few others. I haven't gotten Gyrostarr, but this looks decent and I really want Animales de Muerte. I'd prefer if it was a Wiiware title.

Serpent

Serpent said:

I have become a huge High Voltage fan. Finally a new third party that knows how to use the Wii at its full potential.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

It doesn´t matter if this will be a bad game - it is not a puzzle game, and that is a HUGE plus for the wiiware list.

calculon

calculon said:

I was wondering what usage they'd make of their engine and it looks like plenty - as far as I can see there's bloom lighting (pretty obvious), bump mapping on the cars (check the last screenshot), reflection on the cars (again, last shot) and errr.... above N64 quality texture sizes (sorry, had to have a dig at SPoGs)

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Gavin Rozee, I never said Gyrostarr made anything

O rly?!

I think gyrostarr are making serveral amazing games.

Phantom5800

Phantom5800 said:

I really wish they would finish Animales de la Muerte before they start announcing more games :|

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

A WW racing game from HVS? If it's quality is at least close to Excitetruck's, count me in! :)

On another note, WHEN ARE WE GETTING ANIMALES!?

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Animales comes out in December.

And five months ago, it came out in September.
That's crazy stuff!
It's almost as if the developers are juggling so many games, they can't release any.
At least not any good ones.

Mario64DStyle

Mario64DStyle said:

Lol.. High voltage seems to concentrate more on their graphics than their actual gameplay.. like Gyrostarr did look nice.. But it was boring past a certain point.. it had a lot of potential..

ness

ness said:

@ Starwolf_UK: I know, but the lack of tracks at Ridge Racer was for me also the biggest negative point in the whole game.

Serpent

Serpent said:

Gyrostarr may get repetitive after awhile in single-player but its when playing it in Multi-player that it shines the most and it doesn't ever get boring. I bet this one will be no different.

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

Didn't like Gyrostarr, Animales doesn't interest me, and V.I.P. Blackjack doesn't count as a game. Luckily I am very interested in The Conduit, though.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Actually I don't really like the look of it now that I see it more. It looks like one of the games HV would have made in the past, that would have been based on a popular TV show or whatever, before they decided to actually make something stand out and original like The Conduit.

I hugely admire and respect the team at HV but I'm personally not into things like Rugrats the game and so on and this looks like it could just as easily been a quickly made licensed game based on the hot rod toys (I think that is what they are called anyway) and that is just not my thing.

Stratos

Stratos said:

I likes the looks of it; reminds me of the old top-down monster truck arcade game (forgot it's name).
Plus I don't have a Wii racing game be it Disc, WW or VC based. Come to think of it, the last racers I bought were F-Zero for GC and Mario Kart for DS...
And since I refuse to buy Mario Kart Wii on a matter of principal this will be a nice racing fix.