Get Ready to Brave the Dangers of Planet Pachinko

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

A while ago the ESRB rated a mysterious new WiiWare game called Planet Pachinko, indicating it would be released on WiiWare in the west. Pachinko is an unbelievably popular Japanese arcade game in which you throw coins or balls into a machine and hope they bounce off of pegs into certain slots or cups at the bottom.

Of course we assumed that this game would be just that - Pachinko on WiiWare. The developer, Allied Kingdoms, has now released some screenshots and game information to prove that this isn't the case at all - In fact, it's actually more of an action/platformer game.

The game takes place in the distant future, in which the civilization has sealed their treasures and riches in temples dedicated to the pachinko game. One day the Robot family's puppy has gone missing - He's wandered into the temples. Of course the entire family chases in order to rescue him from the temples' dangers.

The gameplay seems to be inspired by games like Smash TV and Robotron - Fight off enemies in a single area for a period of time. Each level is a giant arena resembling a pachinko machine - Pachinko balls will be launched and will bounce off of pegs, causing damage if they hit you and creating monsters if they fall into cups.

As one of three members of the Robot family, your mission will be to survive these dangers, using a variety of weapons, for a certain time, eventually braving all temples and rescuing your dog. You're not alone though - The evil pirate Vile Vill and his two henchmen Eevin and Oddie are also in the temples (Alongside a number of other bosses), attempting to loot all the treasure, and they don't like nosey types.

The game will also be playable in co-op mode.

No release date or price have been revealed, but judging by how many games are still planned for release this year, we wouldn't be surprised if it's an early 2009 release. You can view some screenshots of the game on the game page or on the official site.

The gameplay certainly seems interesting - We think this'll definitely be one to keep an eye on.

Herzlos

Herzlos said:

So confused by the screenshots... I guess I'll wait for a video, dood!

maka

maka said:

Doesn't look much like Smash TV, when I read that I was expecting a Robotron-like game... it doesn't look bad, but I'd like to see a video too...

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Yeah I don't think it looks like Smash TV either, but maybe when a video is released I can have a better idea of the gameplay.

Edit: Smash TV would be a great addition to the VC library though

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I think that this one looks pretty good. Compared to the amount of platformers on VC, WiiWare has been doing pretty poor so far - if you think about it, even Toki Tori was more of a puzzle game. All we've really had that's even close to a platformer so far is LostWinds, with only Eternity's Child (and Boingz?) on their way. Hmmmm....

Virus

Virus said:

What a strange concept, but even if it is remotely like Animales de la Muerte, I'd like to see it on WiiWare. Whether I'll buy it or not is debatable...

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

I may not know much about pachinkos but I do know the WiiWare service could use more action platformers especially since Animales de la Muerte is a big question mark right now for WiiWare. Good luck Allied Kingdoms!

Crazynoodle

Crazynoodle said:

Looks pretty cool, i hop that it also is realesed with the pachinko game, that you could play

Objection

Objection said:

Could be interesting. I like how they are trying to do new things. Hope real Pachinko is a bonus mode just for the heck of it.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Wacky concept but... I don´t enjoy the visual style of this game. The mix of dark 3D, flat background and ugly interface looks pretty messy to me.

Paper92

Paper92 said:

Hmm...weird concept, Doesnt sound like my cup of tea (or watever it is you kids drink these days)

Serpent

Serpent said:

IDK it looks kind of weird but then again, Most Japanese games are weird.

zombiekillr

zombiekillr said:

daaaaaaaaaang sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@serpant- lol thats true... but right now some japanese dudes are saying how wierd american games are sooooooo...... ya

Ren

Ren said:

uh, yeah, this doesn't look so hot right now. really flat looking even for a side scroller it looks clunky. Why the Smash TV comparison? All I have to say is: VC - Snes - Smash TV - one of the best games ever, give it to us!