Digital Leisure Announces Sudoku Challenge!

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Fresh off the release of their first WiiWare title The Incredible Maze comes an announcement from Digital Leisure of yet another title they have coming to the WiiWare service later this year. Sudoku Challenge! will be the next title from the company and is set to be released sometime in November 2008 at a tentative cost of 500 Wii Points.

Sudoku Challenge! will feature:

• Three Difficulty Levels!
  • Original and Grand Sudoku Game Modes!
  • Over 100,000,000 Sudoku Puzzles

Digital Leisure has also assured us that these will not be the only two titles coming over the next several months, as they have quite an arsenal of games currently in development for the WiiWare service.

We'll have more information on Sudoku Challenge and any other releases from Digital Leisure as it becomes available. We'll also have a full review of The incredible Maze within the next few days.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

100,000,000? DAMN that's a lot of puzzles! :D
I might try this if it's cheap. I like Sudoku, even though I'm not very good at it.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I am surprised Nintendo has not jumped at the chance and released their own sudoku game yet

Ziondood

Ziondood said:

dang thats alot of puzzles :DDDD
btw corbie like the new touch to ur avatar =]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ Finalkingdom13 - I thought Gregg needed a costume for Halloween. :)

Jazzem

Jazzem said:

Is there a chance some of those puzzles will be impossible? I imagine they're randomly generated.

They seem to be a very generous developer though, both their games so far have been 500 Wii points!

Serpent

Serpent said:

that many puzzles for just 500 wii points seems good but i rather stick to the DS version.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I love Sudoku, but it doesn't love me back. :) But not bad when you get 200,000 Sudoku puzzles per Wii Point.

Charlie_The_Unicorn

Charlie_The_Unicorn said:

Not to be a drooper dan, but what proof is there that this costs 500 wii points?

Anyways, I did some math, and even if the game costs 2,000 points (which is very unlikely), you'll be getting more than 100,000 puzzles for every wii point.

Crazynoodle

Crazynoodle said:

Suduko is a great game, but im terrible at it. It is probaly only gonna be 5 buks, because they arent that hard to think up, but 10000 is like 100 of those books. It probaly wont take up much blocks, b/c it is jus fillin in blanks

Virus

Virus said:

Well, this might be the Suduko game to replace all Suduko games...but I somehow doubt it...

Edit: I also have a hunch that many of these puzzles are just "repeats" of each other; or rather, they have to be. What I mean by repeats is they just use the structure of one Suduko puzzle and replace all the numbers with new ones (1s replace 9s, 9s replace 3s, 3s replace 4s, etc.). It's the same puzzle, you just have a 1 in the four boxes in which 9 was in beforehand.

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

I got to pissed when I play Sudoku, way too much, maybe WiiWare can make me like it more than when I used to, and can any one get me a better avatar?

Adam

Adam said:

Yay, a generic game you can play free online or in any discarded newspaper.

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

I very much like Sudoku, but I think it's much better suited to the likes of the DS. The whole portability aspect makes it much more worthwhile. A perfect fit for riding the bus, etc. I've still got to slog through a huge number of pre-determined puzzles from Gameloft's Platinum Sudoku before I'll even get to the puzzle generator part. It suits me just fine.

I don't think I'll ever need another one. Well, maybe one more once Kitty Spangles Sudoku for Mac will finally see its release.

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

I wonder when Europe/Germany will get these and the other great games. We have to catch up a lot!!!

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@Charlie The Unicorn - Our contact at Digital Leisure said it would most likely be 500 points but that is not confirmed 100% yet.

I would imagine they got so many puzzles by just creating a sudoku generating algorithm. I expect the file size won't be too big for this one.

wesleyh

wesleyh said:

I think they need to learn how to create a good interface.. This interface is bad, it's very muddy and the font...

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

I also think they need to work on the UI, don't care much really because I'm pretty set with SkinzSudoku on my PPC.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

It'd be more a splurge than anything else. I was starting to wonder when Wii was getting a Sudoku game when Sudoku's been available for quite sometime on XBLA and PSN. 500 points only makes this purchase all the more plausible. :) Kind of interested in The Incredible Maze too.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Erm... yay?
It sounds and looks like a pretty good version for 500 points, but is there anyone that still gets excited about the concept, or doesn't have any easy way of playing it in the first place (internet, digital tv etc)?

FroguinZX

FroguinZX said:

@Mange: Yeah, it works!

But on topic, I'm not writing off this game as bad already, but let me ask you this question. If the game is crap, and you add more levels and features, is it still crap? Just because they have so many levels doesn't mean there might be an impossible interface or trying to add modes with their own takes on it, etc.

Terra

Terra said:

100 Million!? That is absurd for a 500 point game. I'll certainly buy it.

Sassy_Cc

Sassy_Cc said:

I enjoy Sudoku but I wouldn't want to waste my memory/wii points on yet another Sudoku game, since I can just play it on my ds or go to one of many free puzzle sites ~

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

@Mange
Thanks for the page, is awesome, great interface, ;) yahooo now I can play sudoku on my wii!!! it works great on the internet channel.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Yeah, the problem with these "We have 100,000,000 puzzles!" Sudoku type games that, without an editor, just an algorithm, most of the puzzles end up with two (or more) possible solutions. I hate that.

Master_K

Master_K said:

OMG!!!! I LOVE Sudoku as much as I love Tetris. For 500 Points and over 100000000 puzzles, this is a must buy for me! :P

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I tried Sudoku, but never really could figure it out, so I'll give this a pass. I really wish they would release Mario Picross on Virtual Console North America. See, I didn't forget you, my friends to the north with the Maple Leaf ;-)

FroguinZX

FroguinZX said:

Okay, I just read the review for The Incredible Maze. If they can screw a simple maze game down to a 2, this might just be a steaming pile of crap. I can see it now, use this amazing game by twisting your Wii Remote, and we've got a few more twists for you! Possible EPIC FAIL!

Terra

Terra said:

Looking at The Incredible Maze now, If Digital Leisure's games are on similar quality to that, i can see why their 500 points. Judging from that, i have to agree with FroguinZX. it's a Possible EPIC Fail!

JoshZTP

JoshZTP said:

I'd rather still go for Brain Age!!! :P
Doubt this WiiWare game gets a... pardon my pun, "INCREDIBLE", mediocre score!! ;)