USA WiiWare Update: Bomberman Blast And Art Style: Orbient

Posted by Darren Calvert

Good news for North America this week as Bomberman Blast is finally up for grabs. The gameplay probably doesn’t need much an introduction, but if you are curious to know how the WiiWare version stacks up then you can check out our Bomberman Blast review from when it came out in Europe a few weeks ago.

A game which does require a bit of an introduction is Nintendo’s Art Style: Orbient. This is the first time this has come on to our radar so we have no idea how cool it will be. For the low asking price of 600 Wii points should we be suspicious? Stay tuned for our full review.

Both games will be available in the Wii Shop from 9am Pacific time today. For more details see the press release below:

Art Style: Orbient (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 600 Wii Points): Explore the universe like never before in Art Style: Orbient. Take control of gravity and anti-gravity and carefully maneuver your small star through 50 stages set in multiple galaxies. Collide with other stars to absorb them and make your own star expand in size, or capture the stars in your orbit and have them become your satellites. Space isn’t empty, though, and you’ll have to avoid bumping into obstacles or getting pulled into a black hole. If you feel like relaxing while still being challenged, this is the game for you. Its combination of simple controls, atmospheric sound and unique environment make for an experience unlike any other.

Bomberman Blast (Hudson Entertainment, 1-8 players, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Cartoon Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): A brand new addition to the Bomberman series is available on WiiWare. Up to eight players can battle online simultaneously via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Simple controls make this a great game for family and friends to enjoy anytime. You can trigger new items by shaking the Wii Remote controller, creating new levels of Bomberman excitement. You can even take the intensity up another notch by adding your own Mii caricatures to the mix. Battle results can be recorded on the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Ranking, so you can see how you stack up against others around the globe. This title will prove to be a blast for everyone--from those who’ve never touched a Bomberman game to the Bomberman masters.

On the Virtual Console the awesome Super Turrican 2 is up today also. It’s well worth a look if you liked the other games in the series.

Related Games

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

Wow, that totally left fielded everyone. Orbient sounds like a fun game, though!

And YAY for Bomberman blast!

7th_lutz

7th_lutz said:

Art Style: ORBIENT came out of left field.

I might download Bomberman Blast.

jesao

jesao said:

Art Style: ORBIENT sounds suspiciously similar to Orbital, one of the Bit Generations games on GBA. Lets hope that means the whole series is coming to WiiWare.. Digidrive was ace.

andy836

andy836 said:

art style sounds pretty nifty and being a game from nintendo its bound to be good.

Mr_Saturn

Mr_Saturn said:

I can't say that I anticipated Bomberman Blast more than Mega Man 9, but this is going to be so much fun.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I getting Bomberman Blast as soon as I get off of work today. This month has been the best month of the year for Wii Ware and VC. I can't wait to see what October brings

Nintendude92

Nintendude92 said:

Finally, after many weeks of painful waiting. Bomberman is here. I spent my last 1k on Megaman 9 (well spent!), so I'll need to go out for points as soon as possible. x_x

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

I can't wait! Anyone want to exchange Wii #'s with me? Then once the game releases, we can exchange FC's instead of doing it here? :)

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

Orbient is a nice surprise, here is a tiny screen

Art Style™: ORBIENT™ is the first in a new game series from Nintendo, combining deep game play with atmospheric flair and simple, elegant controls that anyone can pick up and enjoy. With two more Art Style titles scheduled for release in October, this is your chance to be the first to enjoy this truly remarkable gaming experience. So two more Nintendo games next month apart from MaBoShi? ;)

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

I was kind of hoping for MaBoShi. Bomberman Blast is a definite purchase; I need to know more about Orbient to come to any kind of conclusion.

Virus

Virus said:

An awesome game and a potential awesome one...awesome. I look forward to hearing the verdict on this new game.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Hyperfludd = I'm pretty sure. Oh and Professor Layton ftw!! :D

And I was hoping for MaBoShi also but I'm not disappointed! :D

Wesbert

Wesbert said:

Art Style: ORBIENT sounds suspiciously like a remake of the GBA game "bit generations: Orbital". I guess that means the other two announced Art Style games are bit generations - titles as well. If so, you can look forward to them - Orbital was simple, elegant and surprisingly addictive (although whether they work on Wii remains to be seen).
Honestly, I envy you.

EDIT: Sorry, jesao, didn't see your post up there.

Negative_Zero

Negative_Zero said:

Art Style, space? intrigues me greatly. Well might as well wait for the review or just wait for Tetris.

darkmagi_82

darkmagi_82 said:

Art Style fell out of the sky... and it actually sounds decent. For only 600 Wii points, I may have to get it. It will depend on the review, though.

WiX

WiX said:

Well that other game totally surprised... It actually doesn't sound very bad :)

Good you guys got Bomberman! As now it's time to kick some a... No, not really, I'm not that good :D But I'm good :P

whalleywhat

whalleywhat said:

It's nice that they just sprung a Bit Generations remake on us. Totally didn't see it coming and it's gonna be GREAT for 600 points. W00T!
DotStream, DigiDrive, I'll take all em.

Big_Sexy

Big_Sexy said:

@Hyperfludd & KnuxSonic8 -
I was under the impression that we weren't getting the retail version - that it was Japan exclusive. Know something I don't, Knux?

In other news, Nintendo makes flOw for the Wii, announces two more. LOL

I have to admit, it sounds interesting. If they had made it 300 points I could have actually afforded it.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

So two more Nintendo games next month apart from MaBoShi?

Im with you here! Maybe if next month is filled with Double WiiWare Releases it has a greater chance. That way it would look less like Nintendo has taken over 3 of the 4 October slots.

MaBoShi getting a NA release and the fate of the other 4 bit Generations are big questions on my mind right now.

siavm

siavm said:

Wow! The good weeks keep on coming. I may have to wait til the end of the week to get these games but I am going to get them both.

calculon

calculon said:

Looking forward to your views on Orbient. Sounds good, and looks ok form the tiny screenshot. Might help shift that extra 600 points I've got left over from buying songs for Samba De Amigo and Mega Man 9.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Art Style: ORBIENT? Never heard of it. Is it any good?

I was hoping for Maboshi too, but at least we got Bomberman Blast! And on the week of my birthday too! Thank you, Nintendo! :)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Nobody knows if its any good until its available to download. Nobody heard of this game before today.

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

Bomberman... yay!

I went home on my lunch break and downloaded this gem. (I had to buy Wii Points specifically for this, but now I'm good to go!) See you online!

Objection

Objection said:

Where did that come from?! I am greatly curious...and of course Bomberman is always full of win! Plus, ST2 is good too! We keep getting great weeks! That means bad things are on the horizon! :O

Vortex99

Vortex99 said:

Well done for getting Bomberman, North America.....17 days after us...

Didn't mean offence there, but NoA should have released the game closer to the Europe launch.

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

Art Style: ORBIENT sounds interesting. I'll wait to see it later on the internets and the Nintendo Channel.

As for Bomberman Blast, one thing is preventing me from getting it: is it known if a retail version of the game is coming out to NA? If so, I rather wait until that comes out seeing that it'll have more features compared to the WiiWare version. Unless of course if WiiWare Bomberman will have some kind of DLC in the future a la Bomberman Live.

danik

danik said:

Art Style orbient sounds interesting considering no one has heard of it. Look forward to the review.

Serpent

Serpent said:

Yes, Finally get to kick some ass in bomberman online.
That other game also looks interesting, i might get it...(great, now i have to buy more wii points)

i_am_error

i_am_error said:

Neat. If Art Style: Orbient is indeed a remake of the bitGenerations series, I'm very happy. I just have Soundvoyager and it's quite a nice game. Funny thing, I was actually hoping NoA would release these titles stateside with WiiWare/VC.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

ASO sounds intriguing, so I'm looking forward to the review. But wait a sec... you guys don't even have Ninty's MaBoShi yet, do you? How strange...

Well, I'm off to kick some American behind in BMB (and get kicked a lot more in return). If you see a twirling Mr T, that'll be me!

samus2008

samus2008 said:

i dont know what to say about orbient right now, i just downloaded it, and its ok...cant really say much more

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Played Bomberman over the weekend, just like old times again. Best go put some more points on the system...!

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Finally Bomberman Blast is here! :D
I knew it was coming today, now all I need to do is convince my parents to lend me their credit card... again :P.
Also, that ORBIENT game looks intetesting, but I'll wait for the review before purchasing this one.
One more thing: Where is MaBoShi!?

tantrumario

tantrumario said:

Time to waste some wii points =). U have a thread for bomberman blast codes right?(in america)

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

I went on wii, and saw Orbient. I was just like, "where the HECK did this come from?" Wee bit of a curveball there. But I was glad to see Bomberman. I'll be beggin my mom for wii points.

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

@Samus 2008
What are you supposed to do in it? It looks somewhat interesting, but I will wait for the review for now.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I don't know if I'll be picking up Bomberman. I bought the TG-16 version about a year ago and I hardly play it. :S Art Style looks interesting though. :)

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

I knew this would come out. Thanks for that link x.SuperMario.x
This game is truly fun, and just has classic bomberman written all over it. I love it.

Well, I can see that some mods are mad at me, and I am sorry for mentioning what I did last night, and it shall never be mentioned again.

Final_Starman

Final_Starman said:

Coolz. I think I will be's getting this along with MegaMan 9 on my next card. Which will probably happen in three months.

Mario64DStyle

Mario64DStyle said:

So far I love everything about this game..
You can customize pretty much everything.. which is the best part =D
I wish my Wifi was working though.. Its being laggy and buggy for some reason..
Also.. when making a user account when you first turn the game on.. how do you change the color of your bomberman instead of always being default white? I sound dumb asking, but I can't find the option to change it >_>
Unless you can only change it on Wifi and I didnt know

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

I really dont understand Orbient so much. The trailer and this description. It looks interesting, but I am not so sure if I should get it.

Objection

Objection said:

Someone-quick, get us some ORBIENT info!!!
But I might just get both...also, if its gonna be 600, why not just be nice and make it 500 so it fits in better with other games??

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

No! I just spent the last of my Wii Points on MM9! I've got a lot of new games, though, so I'll get some more points later. I have WAY too many games to beat before I get another one.

Phantom5800

Phantom5800 said:

DAMMMIT!!!! I just spent 2000 points on Mega Man and Strong Bad! Now I need another points card cries

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I accidentally downloaded Orbital... :S I wanted to see how many blocks it would take up and I hit "Download" by accident. I can say it's not bad so far. Worth the splurge. :) I'm anxious to see what other "Bit Generation" titles Nintendo is planning on bringing to WiiWare and if they'll be similarly priced.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Yes, Bomberman's finally out! Now I can rest easier knowing it's on the service for when I actually have the time and money to play it! That Art Style: ORBIENT sounds pretty cool, a lot like FLOW, which I personally love. And Super Turrican 2 will go perfectly with BMB.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

^It's ORBIENT, not AMBIENT.
And yes, it looks and sounds very similar to flOw, which also sounds pretty cool.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

That is a good score. Now I think I need to download it. I remember the Bit Generation games vaguely, but I never played them back in the day.

I still can't believe Orbient beat out Bomberman Blast. Wow!

andy836

andy836 said:

i got the game i have to say i agree with IGN it is a very addictive game for $6 ...great game.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

I guess I have to add a dissenting vote here. I was hoping for quite a bit out of Orbient, but I ended up feeling a bit disappointed. Yes, it's a great "sit back and chill" game like pOp. But if you're looking for semi-realistic physics, this ain't it.

In fact, I would best describe the physics as "vacuum cleaner physics". Rather than getting the feeling that you are sling-shotting "stars" (really they're planets, but why quibble?) you feel like each planet has the options for "suck" or "blow". Obviously, if you get out of range, the "vacuum effect" disappears.

Honestly, I would have liked to see something more akin to semi-realistic orbital physics with the screen zooming in and out to show you the various relative players in the solar system. (I say relative because every object in the universe exhibits gravitational pull on everything else. The catch-22 is that from the perspective inside a solar system, galactic gravity is an effective constant. Until you bump into another solar system, that is. :P) Such physics could have added a great deal of strategy. e.g. Trying to hit the lagrange points so you can zip into a different orbit at will, sling-shotting around a small body to give yourself a boost to a higher orbit, or throwing other bodies out of whack so they collide and provide you with a better navigation point. The possibilities are endless, but sadly not taken advantage of.

Graphics are decent, but could be a bit better. I'm not going to complain too much as the game is only 600 points. The sound effects and music gets a bit grating, though. The gravity effects sound like a Buck Rogers tractor beam (high pitched warble and all) while the music has that 50's SciFi kitsch to it. i.e. Subdued and full of weird "space" noises.

The total package ends up being interesting, but ultimately forgettable.

Final Score: 6/10

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Yeah, a chill game's all I'm looking for here. I already have some physics-based puzzlers on my computer, so I won't need this any time soon. if there's any time I want to chill and have some points to burn, though, I'll be all over it.

Kenji510

Kenji510 said:

Cool we finally got Bomberman Blast for wiiware and imma try that other game too ORBIENT looks interesting... kinda reminds of that game "flOw" for the PS3.. gonna start downloadin both games now. :)

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Is there is a list of friend codes for Bomberman about, or am I going to have to join the forum to get them? :p

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

how do you change the color of your bomberman instead of always being default white? I sound dumb asking, but I can't find the option to change it >>_
You change it by not being player 1. In offline set player 1 to a computer than another player to Wii remote #1. In Wi-Fi you have no control over what player # you are. Though it can change between matches (say you're player #2 and so black and player #1 leaves you'll become player #1 and thus white)

The Wi-Fi is everything Super Samsh Bros should have been. Fast, swift and a whole barrel of laughs.

MuljoStpho

MuljoStpho said:

"I don't know if I'll be picking up Bomberman. I bought the TG-16 version about a year ago and I hardly play it. :S Art Style looks interesting though."

Ditto. I'd never played Bomberman before and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. And just like the time I bought the Sonic collection on GC for the same reason, I still don't get it.

slambert215

slambert215 said:

Orbient doesn't impress me but I am so happy Bomberman is here! 8 player local battles FTW!!!!

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@Objection_Blaster - "Interesting" because it's still a game mechanic that we haven't really seen before. "Forgettable" because the mechanic fails to hold your attention for very long. ;)

ness

ness said:

The release of Orbient is so great, because i love the "Bit Generations" series (i have 5 games of them) and i am really excited to see the remakes of the remaining games =).
So this title is a must-have for me, and the other ones will be too^^.

Also nice to see that IGN gave the game such a great rating. I can't wait for it^^.

Mr_Saturn

Mr_Saturn said:

Art Style: Orbient sounds like good fun. Even when I read what people say they don't like about it, it still sounds appealing. I think I'm going to have to give it a whirl.

lordbowser

lordbowser said:

I hope Boundish is going to be their next choice for the Art Style games. Its a really fun little pong clone with 5 different modes.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I always liked Dotstream myself. And Digidrive isn't too bad either.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Yeah I got a couple of these "Bit Generation" games in a trade a good while back. At the time I didn't know much about them. I thought they were fun little games. They remind me a little of the old Atari 2600 games. Simple but fun. :)

ness

ness said:

@ Objection_Blaster: Yes, the series was Japan only, but because the GBA is region free, some people (me included^^) imported several 'Bit Generations' games.
My favorites of them are Dotstream, Orbital and Dialhex (and maybe Coloris, but it becomes very complex in the end of the game^^).

lordbowser

lordbowser said:

All I played was Boundish, Dotstream, Orbital, and Dialhex. Liked them all too. Haven't played the others though.

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

If anyone still has any doubts about Art Style: Orbient, here's another review.

Seriously, all these reviews is tempting me to waste more money on Wii Points. grr...heh.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

All of Nintendo's handhelds have been region free for some reason.

darkmagi_82

darkmagi_82 said:

I just got Art Style: ORBIENT, and didn't regret it. Its unique gameplay, great music, score system and relaxing atmosphere make it absolutely worth six dollars. Besides, its just plain fun :). I'd give it a 9/10, but that's just me. You'll have to look at the WWW review to get a more detailed opinion.

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

Yes, Orbient is definitely worth the dough. It may look quite simple to begin with, but just wait until you get to some of the later stages. I'm not even half-way through the game and my "planet" tends to die... a lot.

Sure, it may not sport realistic physics, but the game doesn't need it either. It becomes tricky enough to avoid other planets and obstacles as it is.

Terra

Terra said:

I'm sure this may have been asked by others but when will the review be available?