Tetris Party - Japanese Trailer

Posted by Corbie Dillard

We just got our hands on the brand new Japanese trailer for the upcoming WiiWare puzzler Tetris Party. The official Japanese Tetris Party site has also been launched and has some great information on the various playing modes found in the game. For those who can't read Japanese, you can always surf over to Google Translate and use it to translate the various pages of the site.

Tetris Party is set to debut in Japan in October 2008 and will cost 1200 Wii Points. The Japanese site also mentions a few new aspects of the game including the Easy Mode in which the blocks are large and the playing field is small. This is geared towards very young children or people who are not familiar with how Tetris is played.

The site also mentions more on using the Wii Fit Balance Board to play the game. You basically move the Tetris blocks across the playing field by shifting your weight right or left. You can also cause the blocks to drop down by leaning forward or backward on the board. Judging from the illustrations on the Japanese site, it would seem that the Wii Balance Board version of the game closely resembles the simplified look of the Easy Mode with the larger blocks and smaller playing field.

There are quite a number of various playing modes to choose from, with up to 6-player support during online play. There will also be a world rankings board for keeping track of the world's best Tetris players. Tetris Party is looking to be another strong release in the popular puzzle series and is quickly becoming one of the most hotly-anticipated WiiWare titles out there.

We'll have more information on Tetris Party as it becomes available, along with a full review when the game hits the WiiWare service.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Easily worth 1200 points.
I remember playing Tetris on my original Gameboy for hundreds of hours...

mrchillz

mrchillz said:

This will be so great! All i do with my wii is play dr. mario, this will be a lot better. I pray to my nintendo and my wish is granted.

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

The price is right. It's a little bit pricey, but it's Tetris and it looks to be worth it. I'll get it on day one.

To be honest, though, the balance board functionality sounds tacked on. I don't think anyone is surprised by this.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Considering that Tetris DS goes for a lot more than that on eBay, I'd say 1200 points is a steel! I can't wait until it comes out, I love Tetris!

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Supermario & Corbie. I too played the original Tetris endlessly as a kid, ever since I got it for Christmas ages ago. But then one tragic day I lost it. :(
Worlds and DS were fine, but they just weren't the same. :(

So This'll be an insta-download for me! And I can live without the BB mode, especially since there's supposed to be like, 14 other modes. :P

Objection

Objection said:

I think 1,200 should be the new 1,500. :O lol because it goes well with SNES titles and other 800 pts games. ;) Anyway, nice article.

Abodi

Abodi said:

Tetris great, I'll get it for sure, but not right away. as i still have and play Tetris DS

Kenji510

Kenji510 said:

I cant wait till we get this game and comes out to the US too.. the video gameplay looks cool and pretty damn fun especially the WiFi battles too!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

This is an instant buy. I'll have to go buy another Wii Points card for sure. I just hope it has the gold and silver block mode from The New Tetris on the N64. Haven't seen any shots of that mode yet, but with 18 modes, I'm hoping one of them will be that. Online rankings makes this insta buy at 1200 easy.

Loooca

Loooca said:

Oh, it's going to take over the rankings for sure. At least it's better to see Tetris in #1 than some, er, other Wii Ware games. And they're being smart with the pricing, because they know that it's an instant buy for many (most?) of us. I CANNOT WAIT.

@ the Balance Board: Some gamers out there keep on complaining about how they only use their Balance Board just for Wii Fit, so there -- Nintendo makes it possible to try it on Tetris as well, just to please those who complain and to add variety to the gameplay.

Yasume

Yasume said:

This game is not for me. I already have Tetris (GB) and Tetris DS both unfinished. Maybe one day when I'm in a Tetris mood I might give it a try, but there are too much WiiWare games that I prefer right now.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

No thanks, Hudson is already going to be getting plenty of my money of their two other games: Bomberman and Alien Crush.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

I really enjoyed the different modes in Tetris DS and the quirky charm which Intelligent Systems and Nintendo managed to cram into it. As such I have quite high hopes for this incarnation, Hudson really know what they are doing, this can only be full of win! :D

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Just looking at the trailers I can tell that Tetris Party is really shaping up and looks to be one of the best renditions of Tetris so far. I'll admit, even all these years later, I'm still a sucker for Tetris. :)

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I'm not so big on the balance board support, and all I really wanted was a few slight variations on the original, maybe with the odd puzzle mode. So far though, I'm really excited for this one, and can't wait to show my stuff online (LOTS of mobile phone practice you see - every time there was an ad break in a TV show I'd be on Tetris immediately).
Since Hudson are also making Alien Crush (already out in Japan), we can probably expect that one before Tetris Party, with the latter being released in November over here.

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

Maybe i overread it...but is Tetris Party also online playable like Bomberman or Dr. Mario? :)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Balance board? Big mode? Party game? Tetris is not a party game. They have officially ruined the franchise. Time for me to pull out my gameboy or fire up my cherished Tengen cart on the NES. speaking of which, one of the background music tracks is a remix of one of the four music options featured on the unlicensed Tengen version. WTF???

Foamyfan231

Foamyfan231 said:

Such an addicting game, I remember me and my Dad would play Tetris Worlds on Xbox for numbers of hours. Now we can have that again!!! THANK YOU WIIWARE!!!! I just wish the Tetris Worlds music was in this but I just want the game!!!

Stratos

Stratos said:

Classic Tetris on the Gameboy (aka "The Brick") was the only game I ever got to play against other people because it came with the system.
I own a copy of Tetris DS though so I'm not sure if I want to get Tetris again. Though the refreshed WiFi with more players is tempting.
Does this game have the feature on Dr Mario where you can play the game with someone who doesn't own it?

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

1200 sounds a tad steep. After a while, Tetris gets a tad old for me. But with the amount of play modes they're adding in addition to Balance Board support, this really is a "Party" and is sure to be worth 1000 Points (they should set it at that price).

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Yes up to four players in offline modes, and up to 6 players in online modes.

agent_lime

agent_lime said:

Normally I'd say 1200 points is a bit much, but considering it's tetris it's a great price. Heck I'd even pay a full 2000 points for this.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Heck I'd even pay a full 2000 points for this.
Let's not give Hudson any ideas. :P

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

Thanks @ Dazza and @ Corbie :) It´s great, that finally online playable games arrive at a Nintendo Console :)

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I loved the Gameboy version. I still have it. For that matter I love the NES, PC, Xbox, and DS version as well.

Online play I want use a gameboy connection cable. Like the good old days:)

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

wiiware is starting to get a nice collection of online games now some good (Bomberman) some bad (major league eating) but its nice to bring back classic games with an online multiplayer angle.
I wonder what next... ooooh I would love to see classic gauntlet brought back on wiiware, I used to love that.

Anyway, 1200 points seems a bit steep but if it was in £'s $'s or .... (damn cant find a Euro sign on my keyboard), well I dont think it sounds that much for the number of options you have.

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

I just dont know what it is, but this game is just makes me want to play it more. No, not the WiiWare, just Tetris in general. Just IMO the best puzzle game ever, and it having Wi-Fi? Looks like its gonna be like Tetris DS (which I never got), so this is gonna be a definite buy!

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

I don't own a single version of Tetris (I know......I really want one though!) I wonder which one I should get first. The original GB one is a classic and is dirt cheap but low on modes, the DS one is chock full of extras and cool Nintendo themes but is really pricey and the Wiiware version is pretty much in the middle for everything but isn't portable. Oh...choices, choices.

Super_Sonic

Super_Sonic said:

Tides of Choas I think in modes Tetris Party does the best in right now but I believe launch price is where is the cheapest. So that mean instant download for me!
Hey mailanbr when you get Tetris Party tell me your friend code!

Mario64DStyle

Mario64DStyle said:

This is one of the Few games I can't wait for =D
So many games coming to wiiware look like they should be fun..

EDIT: I just thought... Once that new storage thing comes out.. practically every channel spot is going to be taken up for me haha

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Glad they kept the original GB-tetris Song A... although that upbeat techno-remix was rather awfull :) Lots of modes but... tetris with pieces made from 3 squares? Isn´t that tritris?

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

@Super Sonic: Of course, just gotta wait til it comes out :P

A question to any mods who actually see this: When will forums come out for this site? It would be a cool addition it to it where it would be easier to talk about certain WiiWare games, and make it easier to trade FC's. Whadha ya think?

Icyfrodo

Icyfrodo said:

Tetris + Whole Buncha of modes = INSTA-BUY

Been playing Tetris DS for the whole week ^^

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

Yup, can't wait. Probably my guess is that this will come out MAYBE in 3 weeks.

Tony_Lama

Tony_Lama said:

Yes! Can't wait to play Tetris online and on my big screen! Tetris DS is fun but this WiiWare version will be GREAT!! Bring it on!!