Mega Man 9 - Proto Man Details Revealed

Posted by Corbie Dillard

For those of you out there who just can't get enough Mega Man 9 goodness, it seems the fun will continue. In fact, if you're one of those who thinks Mega Man 9 just isn't tough enough, Capcom is about to remedy that situation.

On October 6th you can pony up 200 Wii Points and download the Proto Man downloadable content. You'll then have full access to the yellow-scarfed character and all of his new game play moves.

Using Proto Man opens up a brand new mode that will allow you to experience the game in a slightly new way. Not only will you get to take control of Proto Man, but there are other small and unique changes that you'll notice as you play through the game again.

For starters you can't use Proto Man to achieve worldwide rankings or beat any of the game's challenges. What you can do is use Proto Man's unique game play moves, which proves to be a double-edged sword. The good news is Proto Man can now use his slide move to quickly slide under certain enemies and he can also charge up his shot for an added firepower burst. The bad news is that Proto Man takes double the damage of Mega Man and will get thrown back twice as far when he takes a hit thus making enemy encounters all the more tricky. You also will not be able to purchase special items like additional "E" and "M" tanks in the store. As you can imagine, this definitely ups the ante in the difficulty department.

According to Mark Bozon at IGN, using Proto Man does add a unique twist to an already amazing game and he seemed to really appreciate the unique game play twists Proto Man brought to the game, although he did emphasize that it does take some time to get used to controlling Proto Man as the overall feel is quite different from that of Mega Man.

If you're looking to add some replay value to Mega Man 9, this Proto Man content could be just what you need. And at only 200 Wii Points, it seems like a small price to pay to make an already outstanding game even better.

Check out a video of Proto Man in action:

Source: IGN

Iggy

Iggy said:

ill defentally throw 2 bucks to get a different character

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

If I can beat the game, then I'll think about buying the extra stuff :P I wanna see some screenshots of proto man in action though!

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

This is the sort of DLC I don't mind paying for. Its a good way to get rid of odd numbers of Wii points too! :-p

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Yeah, playing with Protoman it's gonna be different and challenging, better this than the harder difficulties.

Objection

Objection said:

@supermario
Can you blame them? DLC should not be out a week after the game launches or people will wonder why it wasn't included. When I buy a game, I would like everything possible. Then in a month or two they could announce new content, so it doesn't feel like they were holding out for more money. I like DLC, I like CAPCOM, but I think $10 is more than enough to pay for MM9 and having DLC right off makes me think at least some of it should have come with the initial download.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

I'm excited about getting Protoman. However, doesn't it seem that Protoman makes the game easier? Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but it does go a long way to explain why he isn't just a "part of the game".

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

"If you're one of those who thinks Mega Man 9 just isn't tough enough..." you need to calm down on the video gaming.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

^ Totally right on that.

I was thinking, besides the fact they want to make money, maybe they also didn't include these DLC thinking on the storage problem, lets say the complete game was 76 blocks, what if someone doesn't want to play the hardest difficulties nor use protoman, the kind of person that wouldn't want to DL any content, what a waste of space.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Thewiirocks. I don't think Proto would make the game any easier, really. In fact, it sounds like he'd make the game even harder, given that he takes more damage than Mega Man, flies farther from enemy contact, and can't use those tanks.

This guy seems to play the same role Luigi did in SMB: The Lost Levels: An extra character that hurts more than he helps. :P

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Twilight Crow. Ya hit the nail on the head, buddy. :)

That's also why Rock Band doesn't have all it's songs from the get-go. Some people just wouldn't want them. Also, with DLC, developers can add stuff that they, for some reason, couldn't include in the game originally, or things that extends the replay value of a game once all it's initial features have been milked for all their worth.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Just say NO to DLC kids!

Sorry. I guess it's cool for those willing to pay for it but I've never been a big fan of microtransactions like this. Luckilly MM9 feels full enough on it's own, but you all know there will come a time when we'll be buying our games in very small pieces at a time, and at a fairly summable premium. Yep, it's quite a racket these game makers got going these days, eh?

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

That's just borderline masochism right there. I think I'll try it when I've beaten the game as Mega Man.

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

Dope! This game is the ultimate gift for die-hard Mega Man fans, and these little upgrades are not hurting.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

As sick and twisted as making the game harder is, I can't help but think that I'll be downloading this Proto Man content when it becomes available. :P

Marvel_Maniac

Marvel_Maniac said:

I like the little dance Mega Man does at the end of the video.

After playing through the game several times, I wouldn't mind something that would make things a little more difficult (but in a balanced way, seeing as it comes wth all of these additions, like the charge shot).

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

@Juampi

Ahhhh, very cool! Thanks! :) That looks pretty interesting actually! I don't think it would make the game too much harder (since the main cause of my deaths is usually platforming :P), just different. I like that he deflects shots during his jump, that's a pretty cool mechanic. I'll probably dl this as soon as it's available too, since I have some leftover points anyway

Ark

Ark said:

Woo. I'm be postponing my purchase of Mega Man 9 until Proto Man is released.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Now if Protoman can slide why didn't they let mega man slide in this game? That's the only thing that bummed me on this game. I loved sliding.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I never use the slide, since half the time I wind up jumping.

I have 200 points waiting for this, I can't wait until it comes out.

Mario64DStyle

Mario64DStyle said:

I already can't handle any boss, other than Galaxy man... no way I could handle them with Protoman...
I might have to start buying things in the shop to beat other bosses..

Loooca

Loooca said:

I don't see what the big fuss' about, I actually like how they're dealing with this certain DLC. I'm going to finish the game in about a day or two, and can't really bother with the 50 challenges put up for me. But by downloading Proto Man, I'll refresh the game a bit and get as much gameplay as I can. For a second time.

Their timing is actually perfect, most people would be finished or trying to finish the game by that date. Don't think of the points, but of the new gaming experience you'll be gaining.

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

Meh, I'm only gonna get this and the time attack stage. The game is already hard enough, but they are gonna add two more difficulty levels. Just crazy. Protoman though sounds pretty cool.

Mario64DStyle

Mario64DStyle said:

What they should have done, is some kind of online Battle, either 1v1, 3 player free for all, 4 player free for all, or 2v2 teams... Using only the blaster... but random enemies appear on the screens too.. and when you kill them, an item drops that only you see (if you killed them)..and they can drop powerups to give you the special shots for a short period of time, or just more health... this option would be for local and online, and the enemy item dropping would be optional

A man can dream, huh?

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

LOL, just realized at the end of that vid. Megaman did the greatest thing ever in Megaman9. LEG TWITCH!

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ Mario64DStyle- I didn't realize the classic Mega Man games featured online multiplayer.

Capcom couldn't have captured the retro feel if our NES game could be played online.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Hey, I have a suggestion for the next MM9 DLC: How about some friggin' CO-OP!?!? This series has been around for more than 20 years, and it's never been in a single game in the series!!!

Adam

Adam said:

The creator has commented in interviews that co-op is not something he sees fitting with the current style of play, and I agree. It would just be messy. They'd have to redesign the whole Mega Man formula.

As for microtransactions, I definitely hate them in general because when you add them up altogether, you usually end up paying more than the original game for less additional content, and the tiny price tags are misleading... but it's Mega Man. I can make exceptions. :D

Can't think of anything better to do with my remaining, otherwise useless points than this and the extra stage they have coming.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Da*n, I just beat the dragon (it took me like an hour), just to be slaughtered by magmaman, well I'm not in a hurry.
What was it, oh yeah, Co.op and vs modes, mmm maybe capcom should think about a totaly new game with these, but with nowadays graphics and sound, sort of like Bomberman Blast, a "Megaman Online" or something.

@Thanks Mr.Cheez.

tantrumario

tantrumario said:

The funny thing is i didnt try to throw my controller when i lost in wilys stage, but i did hit my head real hard on my kitchen counter. I deserve the headbanging achievment.I DEMAND IT.

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

@Twilight Crow
Need help on the beating the game? The dragon mini boss is actually very easy. Just use the power you got from Galaxy Man, and it not only absorbs his attacks, but it hurts him too. Also, if you are in a rush, use the power you got from Concrete Man, only 4 hits and it is dead. Hope you needed that!

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

@tantrumario
Hm, I can sort of see that working. And there would be a way to change your blaster. Just use the b or a button. No, not the 1 or 2, B OR A. That would actually work pretty well, but I would expect major lag from this. Maybe it would be better if that MIGHT be DLC, and can only work for someone whom friend code you have. Does that sound a little good to anyone?

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Wow.
After 3 hours and 45 minutes, I finally beat all eight bosses.
I think I'll go take a nap.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

@mailanbr
Thanks, thats gonna make getting to magmaman faster :).

@tantrumario
Wow, that look nice, now put every sngle robot master on the series as a playable character, make it online and we have a winner.
I can dream too right? :P

Edit: I forgot about the lag, I wished for too much :P, but mailanbr idea sounds pretty nice.

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

Eh, all in the mind of making a good business. Although, I am sure that if they were to make online play a DLC, it would be worth quite a lot of points due to the fact it is adding online play to it. Not just something you can just "throw in" there.

tantrumario

tantrumario said:

or better yet,THERE SHOULD BE DLC TO CREATE A ROBOT MASTER FOR YOURSELF TO USE. I'd use skull mans head,elec mans body, and use the trident ability. Pure genious.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'd like to see a greatest hits style Mega Man game that takes all of the best robots from the series and creates all new levels around them.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@tantrumario

That actually sounds pretty cool! I mean, I doubt they'd actually do it, but still, good on ya.
Edit: Oh wait, do you mean to fight, or to use like Protoman? Personally I'd go for one you could fight.

@Corb

Also a pretty sweet idea!

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

@tantrumario
But now would it be something like creating a Mii-ish? And also would it have the same story line as Megaman, without that customizable character getting any other blasters? Please elaborate, and it might clear up some of my questions.

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

@Corbie
I do agree with you on this. Like we have 9 Megaman games right? So by popular vote, the community would pick 8 of those 9 games, and the one missing would... well let me explain. Now with those 8 games picked, one boss would be picked (besides Wily) and then, it would happen again with the other 7 remaining. The one "unpopular" game that no one wanted, well then maybe they should put in an easy boss as just simply a miniboss or one of the many bosses in Wily's Castle. Now you have 8 begginning bosses to beat, and then you go to Wily's Castle, where you would find that last "unpopular" boss there, and of course Wily!

Final_Starman

Final_Starman said:

MegaMan 7 versus? That is so fake. There is no vs. mode in that game!

Oh, right. The ProtoMan thing. I might get him if I decide to get the game. I think it would make the game harder though.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

That's a good idea. I'd like to see this done, even with more modern 2-D visuals, on the WiiWare service. I think the retro-looking game was a great idea, but I still think that these developers could use more advanced visuals and still keep things 2-D. Maybe bring back the 2-D Metroid games or even a new Super Mario Bros. type game. Alas, not sure if this will ever happen, however.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

@tantrumario
Great idea, and then you can send it to other friends and see if they can beat him.

@Corbie/mailanbr
Yeah, that could be megaman 10 story, Dr.Wily rebiult his most powerfull robots, and megaman must fight them once again!

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

Wow, I wonder who was the first person to figure that out and how they figured it out.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

Mega Man 9 is simply epic. I mean, you're in Wily's stage. You see 3 1ups. You think it's to good too be true! It is, 2 of them are Mets that look like 1ups. In most games that would be really annoying, but in the Mega Man world it works. I finally beat it last night, and although it was hard it only took me 2 hours. I'd love to plow threw it again, but I got Super Mario RPG and Wario Land: Shake It to beat first. Anyway, it sounds and looks like Protoman will be much harder of a character to use, but bring on the challenge. Glad to see that Protoman's whistle is included before each stage.

Objection

Objection said:

@Mike Is this your first MM game you've beaten? I'm trying to gauge how hard it is for somone who's never played the old MM games.
@Corbie- HELL YES. New Super Mario Bros. and MM9 are a step in the right direction. We need more 2D games with todays technology. :)

Mario64DStyle

Mario64DStyle said:

@x.SuperMario.x...
I don't remember the original Megaman games having online ranking.. but hey, they have those?

Plus.. I was just joking around.. I was just letting my mind run wild.. and I was thinking of a fun aspect that would have been cool to include..

TopHatPangolin

TopHatPangolin said:

This is the first Megaman game I've gotten into, except the ZX's and the RPG X one, because I'm way too young to have played any of the earlier ones. 'Have to say that I'm enjoying it a lot and I'd gladly pay the 200 extra for Protoman!
@ Corbie: YES. More 2-d games! I'm kind of partial to the 2.5D look (Viewtiful Joe, Klonoa), but what I wouldn't give for more games like Wario Land Shake, with all the hand drawn visuals and such. 3D is always nice, but it just gets so boring after a while! >=
EDIT: Oh, and... Bass/Forte! I want him here. He's my favorite Mega Man character.
EDIT (again): So, will Protoman make the game harder or easier? The shield seems to balance the whole thing out to me (lately I've been trying to dodge/shield more in games), but I couldn't have gotten through some of the levels without a couple E-Tanks.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

@Objection_Blaster
Hell no, MM9 isn't the first MM game I have beaten. I would put it's difficulty around the original, but a little harder only because of more traps and spikes per stage. I still say the X series is harder.

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

I gotta say, that's pretty awesome. Though I'm afraid that this may push me to download the rest of the series once made available, Mega Man 9 will definitely be my next WiiWare purchase.

... I wonder if there'll be DLC like a "SNES mode" or something in the future. That would certainly be neat.

MegaRockman_1990

MegaRockman_1990 said:

This game is to easy for me so extra downloadable content to make it harder and replay is more than welcome for my part.

Objection

Objection said:

@Mike SO...the question remains...how hard for someone who's never played MM before? (I did beat the original Super Mario Bros. once)

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

@ Mario64DStyle- Online rankings compliment the gameplay.
They aren't a part of the gameplay.

Online mulitplayer would be adding to the gameplay, rather than just complimenting it.

@ Objection_Blaster- It's not THAT hard.
Just buy it already.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Anyone else gettin an error message when theyv try to get downloadable content? Is it my connection being crap or is it not set up in Europe yet?

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

Nice way to read when all the DLC comes out. But to anyone else: besides Protoman, what other DLC are you guys gonna get? Curious :P

Bensei

Bensei said:

I'll get every DLC because I'm a freak :P However, I'll wait for the difficulties until I have beaten the former class.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

@Objection_Blaster
I'm not going to lie, if you never played a MM game before it's going to be hard. However, it's hard only because of the traps and spikes in each stage. The fact that you can buy tons of E-tanks all for just 30 screws each makes beating any boss in the game a chinch. The traps are tough to get around for you the first time you get to them, but like the Contra series and any other MM game, just keep practicing and you will get by them. If you beat Super Mario Bros. then I think you can handle MM9. Go for it, you won't regret it!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

*But to anyone else: besides Protoman, what other DLC are you guys gonna get? *

Just Protoman but if I have points to spare that can't be used on anything else, I'll probably download something just for the sake of it.

*Should've been in the game to begin with but no, they just gotta make more points, don't they?*

Well, if he had been in the game to begin with, they would have charged 1200 points for the game instead of 1000.

blockhead

blockhead said:

i will buy proto man and hero modes just so i can have more challenges out of it too bad i have to take my wii to my friends house for the internet to download stuff

NESgamer

NESgamer said:

I will get it.

The best thing is ability to reflect those annoying projectiles.

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

I will probably just buy Protoman and the new stage. As for the harder difficulties, forget it! The game is already hard enough for me. MAYBE I shall buy the other difficulties, if I come down to another useless 100 points.

DjinnFighter

DjinnFighter said:

Good news ! I already beat the game twice. I see now why they remove the charge shot and the slide. lol

Mario64DStyle

Mario64DStyle said:

@x.SuperMario.x
Good point. It would still be interesting to see later on.. depending how it worked out.
EDIT: not saying later on, as in a downloadable feature to add on later.. I mean't if they made another megaman game altogether

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

If they made a completely new Mega Man, with present-day graphics, online play would be a nice addition.

Now that they've given us a retro game, a brand new game with 3D backgrounds and more online functionality would be amazing.

Objection

Objection said:

@supermario and mike- Thanks for answering my questions. Sorry if they annoyed you. I DO plan to get MM9 with my next card, which will probably be this week. I'll let ya know my thoughts when I do.

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@x.supermario.x
nah it would get like 7/10s everywhere only way it would do good if it had a good(new) storyline and blood then it would have a chance fasho

TopHatPangolin

TopHatPangolin said:

Weird question: was there ever a Mega Man game that was multi-player, and if so, was it any good? I hope no one minds the off-topic-ness, I was just thinking about it. ^^;

MegaRockman_1990

MegaRockman_1990 said:

i know this isnt the right topic on this forum.
i read on a site that they are working on a new ds model that is going to have a sd card output and camera and some other stuff. At the moment it is a rumor but if true it could be a new harddrive for the wii through wii to ds connection where you could save the vc/wiiware games this is just pure speculation from me.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

I used the tornado weapon on the dragon. It blows out his fire.
Do we have a page in the forums to list the weapons effectiveness in the game?

@ TopHatPangolin: Multi-player megaman games... I discovered a soccer game featuring Megaman and some of the boss characters on youtube last night. I know it's not what you meant but it looks fun. Like Mario Strikers but with Megaman.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm not sure why Nintendo would make use of a DS with an SD card when they already have an SD card reader built into the Wii. If anything, the speculation could be about the possibility of certain downloadable titles, possibly some VC titles as well, could be made available for the new DS system. Right now it's all purely speculation and rumors.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

So far they've been very tight-lipped about tomorrow's releases. It's a bit odd since they've been giving us a head's up these past few weeks. If anything comes in, we'll put a news item up asap.

MegaRockman_1990

MegaRockman_1990 said:

like myself and much other people i want a storage solution for the vc and wiiware games. and i read this rumor on a swedish website. whatever the case i hope they announce some sort of storage solution in there press conference october the 2nd.
edit: by the way have cleared 60% of the megaman 9 challenges so far :).

Mario64DStyle

Mario64DStyle said:

I wonder what all the hush is about...
Why can't bomberman just announce its guaranteed release tomorrow =(
Man.. It's going to suck if we don't get it tomorrow haha

aichpvee

aichpvee said:

For $2 they should really have Proto Man-only leader boards. Pretty disappointing.

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

@Mario64DStyle
I completely agree with you. Europe gets Megaman 9, and we usually stay up to date with them, so I dont get why we havent heard anything about it yet. But I swear, if we dont get it... someone here is gonna have to give me their FC, and give me the game as a gift. RIGHT!?!? :P

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm a sucker for anything that adds replay value to an already fun game. Even if it makes it even harder than it already is. :)

andy836

andy836 said:

aaaawww man not again......stupid deleting comments :P

personally i think corbie is out to get me :P

Steviis_Father

Steviis_Father said:

I love the dancing mega man at the end..

By the way, Proto man seems overpowered. Changing the gameplay a bit, I'm sure...

cecesigue

cecesigue said:

Is funny, there will always be someone complaining about something, no matter if its good or bad or has nothing to do with them.
@MegaRockman 1990
people in Nintendo is talking about this aparatus that will bring life to the WII by the end of its cycle, but not right now.

MegaRockman_1990

MegaRockman_1990 said:

Im not complaining i am happy for all the good games that nintendo and other third partys has done and brought to me and a lot of much other stuff.
I like to have much of the downloaded games on the wii menu screen. All i am saying is that its pretty convinient that this rumored new ds that supposedly gonna have sd card output and more is rumored on the internet when nintendo is gonna hold a press conference in less than two days from now. maybe its have something to do with the harddrive solution to do or not, or maybe something completely else only time will tell what nintendo does.