Get Your Groove On With Groovin' Blocks

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Prepare to be amazed - Groovin' Blocks was announced for WiiWare today, but is already being released in the US next Monday.

The game, developed by Empty Clip Studios, is a music-based puzzle game. Combining the rhythm genre (Judging by the song selection screenshot, it will have indie songs) with a falling block puzzler (It seems to be in the style of Columns, with three-part vertical blocks) it certainly seems like it will be a unique experience. Of course, like most puzzle games, there will also be a 2-player versus mode and a highscore list. This is pretty much all we know about the game - Look at the screens and judge for yourself!

The game will cost 800 Wii Points and, as already stated, will be released in the US in just 3 days.

Check out the trailer for in-game action:

Terra

Terra said:

Talk about Short Notice. I noticed that it looks rather like Columns and Teris but we'll see how it is on Monday.

Gitaroo_Dude

Gitaroo_Dude said:

You know, if this is anything like Lumines, I'll probably pick it up. Even if it is doubtful though since it's not by Q.

Oh well, I'm off to hum Heavenly Star.

Objection

Objection said:

Oops, i just let you guys know about this but ya already knew. Anyway, this came out of nowhere. At least its not another puzzler. Oh wait...
EDIT: Wow, after the response I got, I'm never gonna contact WWW about news again.

Super_Sonic

Super_Sonic said:

I'm passing this. I perfer to wait for Tettis Party by a big margin unless they can add Wi-Fi on this.

Virus

Virus said:

What's that in the distance? Is it innovation? Is it enjoyment? Is it free? No! It's mediocrity!

Cough Sorry, but anyway, this looks only okay to me...

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

ANOTHER puzzler? Happy happy joy joy. :P

I'll stick to Lumines as my music puzzler of choice. I'll continue patiently waiting for Tetris Party.

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

The success of this game will depend on how they pull off the music element. It's hard to tell from screenshots! :)

I wonder if this will also be released in Canada on Monday.

Ziondood

Ziondood said:

theres just too manyand they keep anouncing more =D

Kenji510

Kenji510 said:

This game just looks like LUMINES for the psp and one of my favorite type of games i will get when it hits on monday on the 8th... the video trailer looks cool and fun too... im getting this game for sure and love the music too and hopefully we get MaBoShI too, im waiting on that too. :D

Loooca

Loooca said:

This was fine until I read the: will be released in the US in just 3 days. Care to warn us a beforehand, Nintendo? Would you stop with the shocks already, Nintendo?!

Ahem.

Other than that, please no. And Tetris Party, please.

Bensei

Bensei said:

That's what I call to not spoil the people's experience: Announce it as late as possible but soon enough and with a trailer to make people know what it is about!

NikeXTC

NikeXTC said:

Uhm... No clue about actual gameplay from the video, not a good news if you ask...

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

The thing is its as much of a shock for Empty Clip Studios as it is for us...seriously, it sucks publishers know a whole 3 days in advance when their game is coming out.

Thats the stupid way Nintendo spin...and as August showed us they can't even keep to 3 days in advance...

danik

danik said:

hmmm another puzzle game, will have to wait for a review for this one.

LAA

LAA said:

This just looks like tetris, but they're making out it's completely different when they add music into the game.
I havent even played the game yet, so I shouldnt judge, but judging by the tralier it just looks like teris.
Plus, since you guys/girls are due a lot of games for september, Nintendo is pushing it by bringing out games that havent even been announced, unlike many others that have for this month already before hand.
I think the US might not be getting all the games announced for this month, (4 or 5), and theres 3 more wiiware days left.
That means you need 2 days giving you more than 2 wiiware in the next 3 weeks.
I think that strongbad will be definately released this month.
Also, according to wikipedia Aero Guitar will be released in Japan on the 9th September.

Hydroswimmer12

Hydroswimmer12 said:

This looks passable, on acount of this is practically Dr. Mario but not as good. I hope tetris, animales de la muerte, and world of goo come soon!

Bensei

Bensei said:

I guess World of Goo will come in October, together with the retail version in Europe...

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I watched the trailer, and I still don't see how music is used in this.

As for the whole "3-day warning thing", I like suprises, and at least it doesn't seem all that bad. Besides, at least we're getting some warning.

Edit: Okay, I watched it again, and I finally realized that the blocks "flash to the beat", and honestly I've lost interest in it. I already have Lumines and Ausiosurf, I think I'm good on music puzzlers.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

As much as I can see the player moves the blocks similar to the beat. You can see that from .27 He´s waiting for the right moment to smack them down.
For me it is very interesting. I love these old breakdance-funk-tracks (somebody remembers The Rocksteady Crew or the Jonzun Crew?), and because I don´t have much puzzlers for my systems I´m interested.
Lets wait for the review.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

WHOA! I just found out about it and it is going on THIS MONDAY? What a surprise!

Hnn... would this be like Patapon, Mother 3, or something else?

Finalkingdom13-san:
"i dont think nintendo is going to be able to keep releasing only one wiiware game per week
theres just too manyand they keep anouncing more =D"

Hopefully. I want more choices, especially an RPG (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King ot counting, since it seems a lot like SimCity).

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@LAA: "I havent even played the game yet, so I shouldnt judge, but judging by the tralier it just looks like tetris" bad quote ahoy!

Doesn't look too appealing to me. I'm going with the majority and waiting for your thoughts.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I thought the publisher had said the retail verison would be Early 2009...great, so not only are we charged more but we have to wait longe...oh wait, thats pretty standard for Europe :(

WiiBoy

WiiBoy said:

I like the idea of realtime puzzle (blocks fall while you play) but it seems that the rythm has no great effect on the gameplay?
I think it doesn't fit my taste - it just looks too generic too me. =/
... but I think it will sell well because of its great simplicity and the funky music! =)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Yeah, the music doesn't exactly have any obvious effect on the gameplay( though I didn't realize Lumines utilized music either, it was simply hypnotizing), but the blocks do flash at certain intervals. If a block is placed when it isn't lit up, then it remains dulled. My guess is lit-up blocks net you more points. Still not my thing, but it does seem sort of interesting.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

So a music based puzzle game...
But the music doesn't affect the gameplay?

Yeahp, it's official.
All developers need to make an account on this very site, because sometimes I just don't know what they're doing.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@x.SuperMario.x

They'll be doing a Blog, apparently. There haven't been any entries yet, but I just thought I'd just let you know.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Is it just me or does this game not captivate your interest as much? Is anyone REALLY excited for this one?

It just doesn't seem to have the appeal that other WiiWare titles have. But in any case, the concept is interesting so hopefully the execution won't fall flat.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Thanks.
I wish they'd write something in it though. :P