EU WiiWare Update: Mega Man 9, Strong Bad Ep 2 and Helix

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

You'd better have some Wii Points ready as there are three new games are available today, and all of them are good! All three have already been out in North America for a short time, so it can be considered somewhat of a catch-up update.

Mega Man 9 needs no introduction unless you have been living in a cave for the past few months! The game has been designed by Capcom to look, sound and play just like a NES game. That means there's 8-bit graphics, a catchy retro-esque soundtrack, and of course, a high difficulty level! Of course, as our review will tell you, this makes it every bit as addictive and good as its six 8-bit cousins. This is pretty much the ultimate fan-service. We personally hope many other developers follow Capcom's example.

Strong Badia the Free is the second episode in the Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People series. It basically plays exactly the same as the first game, but has a different story which is completely unrelated to that of the first. If you liked the first episode, you'll like this - If you didn't, this isn't gonna change your mind!

Finally, today Helix is available in Europe as well. Since its US release it has gotten quite a mixed bunch of reviews - The opinions on it are certainly some of the more divided of any WiiWare title so far. We thought it was a good game - If you like rhythm games, we recommend it!

I'm gonna play nothing but Mega Man 9 for the next few days! How about you?

Related Games

PHANTOM93

PHANTOM93 said:

WOW! Good for you Europe. You guys hit the Wiiware Jackpot! :-)

Edit: First! and on the Wii too :-P
(sorry, just had to get that out of my system)

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

See, I told you that you would get it Yuropians! Now we should be seeing Bomberman Blast ANYTIME NOW

battledevil789

battledevil789 said:

good europe didnt get anything new so now the states of a bigger chance of getting bomberman blast monday

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Great to see European gamers get Mega Man 9 along with two other good WiiWare titles. Enjoy!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

WOOT! I said that I wasn't posting any more comments until I got to be part of MM9. So, here I am. Also getting SBE2, though am unhappy I have to delete yet another game to make room :(
Might get Helix in the future (say, if there's a WW games drought), but right now I'm put off by the music selection.

Right then, off I go to MM: tonight I'm crying myself to sleep...

@Mailanbr (two comments below) - I know that, its just a pain in the arse to do EVERY time a new game comes out. Here's hoping Ninty are gonna sort out that storage system soon...

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

You will love Mega Man 9. If you like whats on the MMAC collection you cannot go wrong

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

@WiiloveitOnline
You wont have to delete a game for it. You could put it on your SD card (if you have one that is). The SD card will only re-copy back to Wii a channel if that wii it is copying to has the same Wii Code as it did before. Also, if you happen to delete a game, and dont have an SD card, well thats still okay. You can re-download a game you have already bought off the Wii Shop Channel for free. So I hope this helps you somewhat with your problem!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

I don't know why this update being good makes me feel uneasy about the next update...I shouldn't be as a Hudson game is bound to be in it...

Edit: Since when did I have an avtar...O_O...well thanks anyway

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Or one of those legendry admin people I keep hearing tales of...

I forgot to say how pleased I was none of these games got the shaft. Won't be buying any of them yet due to my WiiWare backlog (both playing any buying) being quite large...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I gave you the avatar. You can change it if you don't like it. :)

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@ 5 - The reason why Europe got three games again was because we had a 2 game WiiWare week, instead of 1.

Awesome WiiWare update! I'm enjoying Mega Man 9 right now! :)

mailanbr

mailanbr said:

*twitches*
So far we have no news on Bomberman Blast. This is so not fair. You get Megaman9 AND Bomberman Blast! :O I just thought, I gotta get more Wii Points before we hear that we are gonna get Bomberman Blast MONDAY *prays to Nintendo*

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Well nothing for me this week so i can save my points for Pay'n'play content for Guitar Hero World Tour :)

While there is nothing wrong here & many people will download Mega Man 9 but its not for me .

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Alright, I knew you were gonna get Megaman 9, Nintendo ain't that bad, and with other two good games, lately Europe is getting lucky. :)
Nintendo be nice with us too... I want Bomberman and Maboshi!!

Naturestee

Naturestee said:

Yay for Europe! Poor Helix though. Nobody will notice it hidden amongst the other two fantastic games.

Reminds me, I really should try Helix sometime... Maybe when I'm not as obsessed with Groovin' Blocks and Mega Man 9.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Wow, three great games in one day, there's something here for everybody! Enjoy, Europe, enjoy!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Saving WWW members, one avatar at a time...

I do what I can. :) BTW did you see the avatar I gave Ferret75? Now that's funny. :P

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

Happy gaming Europe! Enjoy your Mega Man 9 and have a brilliant time while I go to sleep!

Objection

Objection said:

Oh wow, what a great week for you guys! Happy for ya, now where's our Bomberman, MaBoShi, etc.! ;)

Master_K

Master_K said:

(crosses fingers for Bomberman Blast on Monday!)
Hey Corbie, I wouldn't mind a new Ganon avatar. :P

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Now Corbie will start getting requests. :P
That is a cute picture of a ferret though.

Oh, and Bomberman for next week?
Yeah, that'd be nice.
Another good week for Europe though. :)

Master_K

Master_K said:

@x.SuperMario.x: That would be nice.
It figures that Corbie got so tired of changing his avatar, he decided to change other people's avatars. :P

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Corbie-san, that is nice of you giving avatars to those who do not have them! (By the way, it seems that there are a lot of new people here...)

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Naturestee. You should. It's a good game.

@Phantom93. First post on the Wii Browser? I'm impressed. ;)

Boy, you Europeans struck gold this week! And you got that Mega Man game you all wanted so badly :).Hope you're all enjoying yourselves. Now bring on Maboshi and Bomberman for America!
otherwise I will be very angry. :P

@Corbie. Since you're on a mission to supply the needy with avatars, can I have your old Greg one? :P

Virus

Virus said:

Hey, I hate this avatar! Why the heck did you do this to me, Corbie? I mean--oh wait...no, I guess mine is still the same... :P

Wow, what a good week for you guys. I wonder, does anyone remember a time when the Wii Shop Channel had bad weeks? I can't. They must have a genius choosing games! :P

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@Corbie - At least if you give other readers avatars when they don't have one, it stops you from changing your own so much! :D

Great update today. GO EUROPE!!!!!1 (and Au/NZ too!)

calcifer

calcifer said:

Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1989!
With this, bomberman, tetris, devil crush, gradius and who knows what else coming up the wiiware service is starting to become classic gaming (hate the term hardcore) heaven!

RoyOfTheRovers

RoyOfTheRovers said:

Great to get 3 games in a week, although as a relative newbie to the Nintendo world (and therefore having never played any of the MegaMan games), I am not that excited.

Was far happier with the recent Bomberman and Midnight Pool week, that was an expensive Friday! Hope you 'across the pond folk' get Bomberman next week.

p.s. First post on this site, love it!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Megaman 9 is so hard.

The only stage I did somewhat well in was Galaxy Man's stage. But even then I didn't get to meet him in person.

I just hope that I won't be put off by the game's difficulty because I sometimes stop playing a game completely if I just can't get anywhere on it.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@Bass X0 - I am finding it seriously hard going too.

My advice is to start out with Galaxy Man, he's not too hard to beat if you can manage to get to him! Just keep practicing!

Once defeated I would then advise trying to tackle Jewel Man. With the black hole bomb he is a piece of cake.

When you have Jewel Man's Jewel Satellite you will find a lot of the stages much easier as it is a pretty good shield.

I am stuck on Tornado Man's stage now, it's just plain evil :-p

Justtim

Justtim said:

Arrrrr, that f*cking rotating plattforms in Tormado Mans stage made me throw my Controller the first time since PS1 times. I´m loving it :)
But maybe i should stick this "safety loop thing" to my wiimote...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Yeah, I just beat Galaxy Man a few minutes ago. That was a pretty easy stage and boss to be honest, only died once and that was on the boss.. Memorising the level and boss patterns is the most effective weapon to beat Megaman games. And now I've got to go out soon and get Wario Land Shake. Compared to Megaman 9, it'll probably be childishly easy.

Kevin

Kevin said:

It is an easy stage but it takes a long time to beat him if you choose him first. I'll be playing Mega Man 9 for a LONG time!

lucario13

lucario13 said:

YEAH! strong Bads here. May not get megaman 9, never played a megaman game so ill probably megaman 2.

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

I got Wario Land: Shake It. I've never played a Mega Man Game, but I beat the first world and boss and didn't even have to restart a level. True it is fun, but incredibly easy so if you want a good easy fun platformer than this is it. Its just so easy....From what I heard about this game is that of Living Hell....

wesleyh

wesleyh said:

Bought Helix... It's fun but it's pretty stupid at the same time..

1) You can do other moves at the correct time and it will still register correctly. Big flaw..
2) On hard there are some sequences that are just too fast to handle.. The character moves too fast to see all the moves and it's impossible to take into account timing.

Dbc

Dbc said:

MM9 is the only game for me this week , don't care about the other 2 games that much.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

That mid-level boss in jewel mans stage is giving me a fit. I need Metal Man's Metal blades!

I got close to beating Magma Man and close to reaching splash woman.

I'll say it again MM9 is one of the best of the series despite its difficulty

RoyOfTheRovers

RoyOfTheRovers said:

All this MM9 talk is making me want it..........

Having never played any of these games or others in the series, which am I better off going for, 500 points on MM2, 800 points on Super Metroid or 1000 points on MM9?

Ark

Ark said:

I hope this patter of Europe getting 3 WiiWare games continues. Unless NOE is trying to catch up with the American WiiWare catalog similarly to how they gave 5 VC game weeks and then reduced them when they caught up to America. :(

Auntman

Auntman said:

@65. RoyOfTheRovers
MM2 is cheaper and is considered one of the best and easiest in the series making it better choice for beginners.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

*According to IGN when you add Protoman to the game you cannot access the shop to buy E and M tanks. Thats hardcore*

I hope thats false.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

@ Bass
Its true

Here is the a section by Mark Bozon

"The changes are basic, but they make a huge difference. For starters, Proto Man can slide, so you've got instant evasion against low-hopping enemies and a few specific bosses (it saved our butt a few times on Magma Man, but don' t bother trying to slide under Galaxy during his second attack phase; it won't work). This would also let you get into a few pesky little areas that you otherwise couldn't go, such as the large bolt hidden on Plug Man's stage, but that brings us to the second major change for Proto Man Mode, which is the lack of a store and bolts, also eliminating support items, and extra E and M tanks." (Bozon, 2008)

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

Poor Helix...sanwiched right between Mega Man 9 and Strong Bad Episode 2. Hope it does good over in Europe.

So far, I've beaten 4 Robot Masters in MM9. All with the Mega Buster mind you. I haven't played as much MM9 as I wanted to (work, stuff, etc.).I may need to use B. Bomb onJewel Man though...

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Corbie-san, you started from 0, hai?
No bother. I always liked your avatars.

(P.S. Look at me on Sunday!)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I meant that playing as Megaman would still allow you to access the store even if you have downloaded Protoman.

Master_K

Master_K said:

Thanks for the new avatar Corbie! I hope Europeans are enjoying Mega Man 9 as much as I did. :P

RetroWare

RetroWare said:

Hey Corbie, you think you can find me a good avatar? (my one is cool and all, but I need to upgrade).

EDIT: I was just playing some MM2, and I am total garbage T_T !!! I only got to beat Flash man, and then I kept dieing at quickmans stage! Also, After I use my slow down ability, Is their a way to stop it from using up the meter?

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Wait a second.... where's my new avatar? Not that I need one, since I'm quite happy with mine now. Maybe I'll change it when I can be bothered. But wait a second............................... Corbie's 'tar is back to normal again, wha?!?!?

@Vortex99: I actually remember you saying that, thus proving I spend too much time on this 'site.

@The game (not The Game, I'm a-talkin' about MM9): Ouch, that's nasty. Loving all the retro touches now, and am happy that there are checkpoints (see comments from 47 on link)... I still haven't got round to SBCG4APE2 yet, despite downloading it at 00:30 this morning out of anticipation.

ReaperJ21

ReaperJ21 said:

lol i just noticed europeans get mega man 9,platchin, and helix on my b-day :D now i just need 2 download it lol :P

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

There you go RetroWare. It's Medusa from the Parodius games. And yes, my avatar is back to Gregg. I just couldn't let the little fellow go. :)

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

@RetroWare
I'm pretty sure that during the lazer part of the Quick Man level, there is a large energy replenisher, but its pretty risky to grab. If you can't manage it, I would recommend starting that part without freezing time, and then use Flash Man's power like halfway through, when you feel like the lazers are catching up to you.

That's all off memory, I haven't played the game in years, but I'm almost positive that energy capsule is there.

RetroWare

RetroWare said:

Thanks lockelocks, that energy replenisher does kinda help, but I don't understand why I can't activate the time stop power and then stop it. Its just a waste of the meter.

@ Corbie: Umm, I think you changed someone elses avatar, not mine, lol :)

You should stick to your avatar, I know you by it.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

I've beaten 3 bosses, and made a few challenges, this game is great, but I'm totally stuck with the dragon in magmaman's stage, any tips?

@Corbie
All this avatars you're giving, do you make them yourself? Btw I love your Gregg! :) I'm glad it's back.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

RetroWare, just refresh the page. I can see it. Yeah I make them. I've made tons of them for various people. I get a kick out of it. :)

RetroWare

RetroWare said:

Thats pretty cool! But it seems to girly, unless you were implying that I am...nvm, still cool none the less.

This Quick man stage irks me!!! I don't know if you guys will understand, but you know when you get past the first set of lasers and have beat these fire enemies to get to the second set? Well, thats what messes me up. The lasers are way to quick...

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Megaman 9 is great, although I suck at it. It's way harder than Megaman 2.
On a side-note, anyone thinking of buying Samba De Amigo for the Wii, don't bother. The controls are terrible. Just a wee warning.

RetroWare

RetroWare said:

Wow, that does fit me better, thanks (again) Corbie!

And I think I found a way through the stage, Its just gonna take some more trial-and-error.

EDIT: Now Quickmans just kicking my @$$...:(

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I almost bought Samba De Amigo when I picked up Wario Land Shake It! Glad I passed on it now.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

GAAAAAHHHH... all this avatar changing has got me in the mood to change my own. Give me a sec...

Edit: Yay, the Elite Beat Agents! They remind me of my oviginal avatar with the three pikmin, but instead of pikmin, they're cool dancing guys in suits. This one's only temporary though. I'll find a replacement soon.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Wish I'd gotten Shake it now too. But I've wanted to try Samba since the Dreamcast days and was really looking forward to it. I'm going to take it back tomorrow and do a trade for Wario

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Try getting De Blob, only £17.99 on Play.com, which (considering the RRP of £34.99) is a bargain - especially with free delivery. I'm still only going to rent my copy, but it looks really good.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Nah I think I'll get Wario. I meant to pick it up soon anyway. Is it good Corbie?
Oh yay my avatar changed. Thought it hadn't worked. :)

RetroWare

RetroWare said:

I skipped to Bubble man and beat him in one try! Easy :)

NOOOOOO!!!!! I accidently turned of my Wii and now it won't let me start back from my current save data!!!!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Wario Land Shake It! is a lot of fun. If you're a fan of the series, you're going to love the game.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Great! Will pick it up when I trade in Samba. Pity I didn't know how crap it was before-hand, then I could've saved money and gotten Wario land first off. Anyway there is 1 silver lining and that's that I have Megaman 9 sitting pretty in my Wii channels.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@outrunner. Are the controls really that bad? IGN was saying they weren't nearly as good as the originals, but were still feasable. That's a darn shame. I was really looking forward to that one!

@Corbie. Oh, I KNOW I will enjoy WL: SI. I played the older Wario Lands to death as a kid, and WL 3 is one of my favorite games :)! If I'm able, I'll pick it up tomorrow along with Spore.

blockhead

blockhead said:

good job europe people now you can look like an idiot playing Helix like us americans =)

PHANTOM93

PHANTOM93 said:

LOL I was wondering when Corbie would give me an avatar :-P
What exactly is it?

@ Mr.Cheez #39

Funny thing is, I wasn't even trying to be first. I just went to WWW and the article was just, well there.... without any comments :-P

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Phantom: its one of those masks from Super Mario bros 2 I think. The ones that chase you when you lift a key. :p

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Well, I'll still rent Samba de Amiga Wii. I definitely plan on buying Wario Land: Shake it! and de Blob, though.

@Corbie

Whoa, I didn't even notice that you changed your avatar! Guess I'm so used to seeing it.

Objection

Objection said:

Too much avatar changing! Is no one but me satisfied with theirs? Anyway, I heard the same about Samba de Amigo's controls and both de Blob and Wario look like good weekend rentals, but I don't know if I'd buy them at full price.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Phantom. Corbie found/ made a good pick for ya! It's very fitting!

@Corbie. Curious question: If I didn't have an avatar already, what sorta pick would you have given me? A jar of Cheez Whiz? :P

PHANTOM93

PHANTOM93 said:

@ Mr. Cheez

He sure did, I didn't have an avatar for the longest time because I couldn't find one that fit just right. But Corbie fixed that problem for me :-)
Also if I were Corbie I would've given you a picture of Swiss Cheese for your avatar :-P

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I changed your avatar Mr. Cheez. I'll change it back when you're ready. :)

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

Corbie, I'm assuming you gave me that awesome avatar. I seriously could not have found something better or more fitting. Thanks a lot!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

As soon as I saw that Silent Bob, I knew it was the right one for you. :)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I've had that pic on my computer for ages Mr. Cheez. It was the first thing I thought of. I just had to dig through all the pics and find it. :)

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I changed my avatar again. I'll keep changing it until I get something I like. Or Corbie changes it. After all, nobody messes with Corbie.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Hmm... I now appear to have an ice climber for my picture. As I said before, nobody messes with Corbie. Which is why I'll change the image as soon as he's not looking... heh-heh-heh-heerh.