USA WiiWare Update: Wild West Guns

Posted by Darren Calvert

As predicted Wild West Guns is up for grabs today on WiiWare in North America. If you like Zapper games such as Link's Crossbow Training you could do a lot worse than checking out this game. You don't need a Wii Zapper to play it of course! The action is a little short lived, but it’s great fun with two players. For 1000 Wii points it represents a solid buy for anyone who likes the genre.

Check out our Wild West Guns review for more info on this game.

Here's the press release:

Wild West Guns (Gameloft, 1-2 players, Rated T for Teen - Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): Draw your revolver to see if you’re the fastest gun in the West. Adjust your speed and precision as targets or enemies appear in front of you. Point and shoot to earn more points. You can aim at anything, so be sure to explore the environment for elements that will earn you more shooting points. Identify your enemies among the characters you encounter, but don’t shoot at innocent citizens. Take part in an Old West-style train attack, or challenge your skills in a variety of increasingly difficult shooting challenges in other beautiful, classic and lively Western environments. As you progress through challenges, you’ll earn medals and rewards, making for nonstop, addictive action. Play in a two-player multiplayer mode where you and your partner can combine points, or play against each other to find out who’s the fastest gun in the West.

If you don't fancy shooting some outlaws in the wild wild west then you might want to consider Sonic on the Master System or Splatterhouse 2 on the Genesis instead. As always check out VC Reviews for the most up to date info on the Virtual Console.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Eh, not interested. Its bad enough mega man isn't getting released today to top it all off.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

Its a pretty good game and worth the 1000 points.
Sure it isnt going to win any awards and it can be completed quickly if you put your mind to it, but because of the type of game it is you can replay this game again and again. Ahievements is nice (I havnt got them all yet) but what this game lacks is an online leaderboard or any kind of high score table, but still a nice arcade style lightgun game with wii Zapper support.

To be honest there is retail games that cost a lot more than this game which are more shallow and with less production value than this game, after buying this game last week I would recommend it to anybody who like lightgun games.

Terra

Terra said:

Lack of high scoreboards will probably be a dealbreaker for some people

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

I'm looking forward to getting this when I get home tonight. Given that the game is so close in concept to Wii Play and Link's Crossbow Training, I imagine I'll manage to get my wife to play it with me. (Yay! It's hard to get her to play video games.) :)

Otherwise, this week feels a little... err... weak. Guess Nintendo wanted to focus on WWG. Nothing wrong with that I s'pose.

FroguinZX

FroguinZX said:

I just went to the Nintendo Channel and saw Strongbad. I'm not interested but I think Nintendo is giving fans the middle finger. But on topic, I see how it'll appeal to old west fans but I wouldn't see myself getting this. I think I'll wait until I blow my Wii Points. glares at My Pokémon Ranch

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Ouch. Plattchen/Helix/Strongbad next week? Gotta be one of them. Strongbad has to come out next week surely because if they release it in EU the fortnight after then it'll coincide with Sam & Max's Wii release, although to be honest, release dates never do make sense.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

If this game is so much like Link's Crossbow Training, then I'll stick with Link's Crossbow Training. Why waste $10 when Link's Crossbow Training is better.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

It's like Link's Crossbow Training, but lets 2P play at the same time instead of taking turns, either co-op or competitive.

I'd not make any predictions on WiiWare, judging by the VC this week... Next week we're just as likely to see My Aquarium as Plattchen/Helix/Strongbad. Or even Home Sweet Home. Or some other game we've never even heard of. The Regginator's Drunken Staggering cannot be predicted, or even "confirmed!"

Virus

Virus said:

@FroguinZX
I saw Strongbad on the Nintendo Channel too; I wonder what that is implying if anything...

Well, I'm passing this one up. I heard it isn't as good as Link's Crossbow Training and that is what I expect for these shooter games.

TokiToku

TokiToku said:

its not that bad of a game. controls are simple for pick up and play. There's a good amount of challenges, and the ones where you have to shoot people are really fun. i give it a 8/10

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

@Mike - Simple answer: Some of us have played the ever-living daylights out of Link's Crossbow Training and would like something new to shoot at. That's where Wild West Guns comes in. ;)

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

@Mike & @Virus
Links Crossbow Training bored me pretty quickly but I have enjoyed my experience with Wild West Guns. Just because we compare a game to another doesn't mean its inferior or the same as.
Wild west Guns has the advantage to Links Crossbow Training because of its 2 player Versus and Co-Op mode. Plus here in the UK Wild West Guns only cost £7.50 whereas Crossbow Trainings cost anywhere between £17.99 and .£24.99

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@Toki Toku - The release date for Strongbad on the Nintendo Channel said "Coming Very Soon!" My guess is sometime in August.

Objection

Objection said:

In all likelihood, the next 3 weeks will bring Strongbad, PLATTCHEN, and Helix. At least, they $%#ing better. I would have picked this up, but I just got Sin and Punishment. Different kind of shooter, but shooter none the less. Plus, I am saving for Strongbad. I find this week most interesting with the M rated Splatterhouse 2, the first of its rating on VC/Wiiware, hopefully opening th edoors to more. (I know there are M rated planned games for Wiiware, but some great M rated 64 games for instance are out there. Of course the odds of getting 64 are...)

andy836

andy836 said:

I got some new info on
Space invaders
Strong bad
Lost winds sequel
and Alien crush
if anybody wants the links i'll send
Sorry if off topic

vherub

vherub said:

the trailer for west doesn't look too shabby. Tempted to pick it up at some point.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

I'm just waiting gfor Mega Man 9, Tetris Party, and Space Invaders Extreme. Is it me or is Nintendo releasing all the good stuff in September/October?

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

Well, we all know what happens to publishers that say when there games are coming out
looks at VC-Reviews site

andy836

andy836 said:

hey guys well this may be off topic but everybody who has downloaded the game should say their achievements.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

Heres my achievments so far, they are not very good... but hey im old and my reaction time isnt as good as it used to be. :)

Shooting - "Shootist"
Destruction - "Vandal"
Wildlife - "Butcher"
Quickness - none
Persistance - "Hit Row"
Precision - "Hired Gun"
Wanted - none
Money - "Poor"
Medals - none

I wish I made a not of percetages / scores needed to get the achievments I have, but im quite happy with my "Hired Gun" achievement because as I remember it is 50% head shots and I havnt really been trying. I took me ages to get a Destruction and Wildlife achievement because I had been trying to get through the level and they score so few poiints.

Hopefully Gameloft will add an online scoreboard next time that will also show achievements as I find the achievements give this game the extra legs it needs.

andy836

andy836 said:

Okay here are my achievements

Shooting- Sharpshooter 80% targets hit in game :)
Destruction- Pillager 20% objects destroyed in game :(
Wildlife- Hunter 40 animals shot :(
Quickness-none ???
Persistence- Hit flow 100 hits in a row :)
Precision- Liquidator 300 headshots :)
Wanted- Bully 10 friendlies shot lol
Money-Wealthy earned over $10,000,000 :)
Medals- Peace Keeper 6 Platinum medals :)

Thats it for now i'll update if i beat any of my scores on here.

toaster

toaster said:

I've found this game to be highly, highly enjoyable.. It's short yeah, but if you like the challenge of besting yourself, and kicking a friends butt, you won't get tired of it.... it's going to be something worth leaving on your wii for a long time to go back to when everything else bores you.