USA WiiWare Update: Strong Bad Episode One

Posted by Damien McFerran

Rejoice North American Wii owners! One of WiiWare's most eagerly awaited titles is released today. Strong Bad Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner has been on our radar for quite some time now and looks like being one of the finest games on Nintendo’s download service so far.

Based on a side-splittingly hilarious web flash cartoon, Homestar Ruiner is from the guys who brought us the excellent Sam and Max episodic PC adventures. Naturally, knowledge of the characters is a must if you’re to enjoy this game to its fullest potential, but adventure fans (not to mention those fond of a laugh) should find lots to appreciate here. The game retails for 1000 Wii points. If you are not sure if this game is for you then you might want to wait a day or so for our review.

Here’s the press release:

Strong Bad Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner (Telltale Games, 1 player, Rated T for Teen—Crude Humor, Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, 1,000 Wii Points): Charming. Suave. Awesome. These are the words Strong Bad would use to describe himself. In a world gone mad, only one man can be trusted to save the day. A man with an attitude. A man called Strong Bad. As the star of the Homestar Runner Web cartoons, Strong Bad has been answering e-mails (in boxing gloves), pranking his friends, pummeling his enemies, and making people with questionable taste snort milk out of their noses for years now. And he's branched out to star in Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, a monthly five-episode series. In Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner, Strong Bad's plans to beat the snot out of Homestar backfire, and he ends up with an unwanted houseguest cramping his style. Now he needs to get life back to normal by any means possible. But wait, there's more: Teen Girl Squad comics, achievements, funny costumes and arcade games. You can even send pictures and messages to Wii Friends using Strong Bad's computer. So how about it? Can you handle Strong Bad's style?

Over on the Virtual Console there are two "import" games up for grabs today. Break In is a rather unexciting but competent pool game. Our pick would be the excellent Star Parodier, its one of the best shoot-em-ups we have played in quite a long, long time!

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

I've played the PC version already and would definitely give it an 8/10. The game is pretty much exactly the same as Sam & Max, from the gameplay all the way down to the average time to complete each episode.

The WiiWare version is supposed to be pretty much the same, but I'll let one of our American reviewers review it since I obviously won't be able to buy it yet :p

mrchillz

mrchillz said:

whats the thing with this game. it seems just like a cartoon that yu watch. ive never seen the show it comes from. I download alot of games but i have hesitations over this. someone please guide me.

Hyperfludd

Hyperfludd said:

Oh? This is from Telltale? Then it's a WHOLE another story. I wasn't even interested in this game. I'll see if I can get my friend to get the game for me, since she owes me one ;d

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

"Strong Bad's Cool Game for Patient People" would be a more apt name.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

I'm not a fan of "point-and-click." And if I wanted a humorous story I would read a book (I know. Big shocker. I read.) .At least then I wouldn't have to clean the fridge.

LAA

LAA said:

YAY!
I cant wait for the review!
I'm hoping for a 9/10!
But 1 question.
How do they know its out now?
Arent Games released at 9:00am Pacific time?
Its apparently only 6:45am over there (or the website's got it wrong)

Draygone

Draygone said:

Wooooooooo! Finally!

Being guided by The Brother Chaps themselves, I'm sure this'll be an entertaining story no matter what, especially since they've been focusing some on this, leaving their site updated less than usual. Whether the point-and-clickness and gameplay will make it worth the $10, I dunno. I'll go ahead and wait for the review, but I'll probably get it for sure.

Ark

Ark said:

@LAA

Not sure how VC-R/WW-W gets their info, but press.nintendo.com updates what games are appearing on Mondays. All 3 of these games are listed, as well as press info for each game. It's an official site run by NOA so it's expected to be accurate(and having used the site every Monday, it's always correct).

Objection

Objection said:

I'm so glad its finally out. One of my friends with a wii has no wifi, so he's gonna buy some points and bring his over to my place and get this. I'm waiting to see if it's worth the $50 for the set and/or if it'll come out retail. Anyone know the block size? I imagine its big with all the voice-overs

LAA

LAA said:

USA
I THINK YOU CAN PLAY ON IT NOW!
On Nintendo's website it says strong bad has been released!
Can someone tell me what its like after they've played on it a bit?
Thanks!

pdrydia

pdrydia said:

BuzzDee said: "Unfortunately it will FAIL in Germany, because most Germans are lazy and don't like to read / listen to English."

I wouldn't call that lazy. I've studied Spanish since I was 11, and it's still an exhausting experience to immerse myself in the language.

Glad this game is out. :D

LAA

LAA said:

@ SuperMichael64

WOAH!
THAT MUCH SPACE!
I think its time for Wild West Guns to go.

SuperMichael64

SuperMichael64 said:

so far its really fun! The dialogue is what makes the game though, there are plenty of hidden clickables and collectables its deffinetly a point and click adventure.

LAA

LAA said:

@ SuperMichael64
Glad you're enjoying it!
It certainly look fun from what I've seen!
Can you tell me how many blocks it takes up?
If you need to quit the game to tell me don't.
The games TOO good to be switched off.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

It's here! It's here!
It's actually here!

Its here its here its here its here its here its here its here its here it here its... <Hits wall>

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Awwww yeeeaahhhh. Please excuse me while I run off to get my paycheck and get a wii points card to get this game.

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

It's gonna be an expensive Monday... :D

If SBCG4AP doesn't make a good showing on the sales lists I'm going to be disappointed.

deadbattery

deadbattery said:

I was never a fan of point-and-click games. Click on the doorknob. Enter a room. Struggle to figure out why the next door doesn't work. Get annoyed. Snore. Repeat.

I'll wait for the review. Just because it's Homestar doesn't guarantee it's good.

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

The reviews have been pouring in and been nothing but positive for Strong Bad.

My only concern is that I'm not a Homestar Runner fan since I never viewed their website at all. While I'm tempted to give this a download I might wait to get better acquainted with HR and Strong Bad, even though I know where the inspiration came from. It's not like it's going away soon and raising in price. =P

Virus

Virus said:

I can't wait to get this! All I need is my TV to be taken out of the muck it is in...c'mon, hurry!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Gah! I'm going out of my mind here! I spent half my card the other day, so now I can only get one game! I guess I'll have to wait for the disk version before I get to play Strong Bad :(.

konkerdoodle

konkerdoodle said:

I've been playing it for a while. Really funny game, although I have to say it's not quite as funny as the web cartoon in my opinion...
On another note, Pong Toss is #1 in America today. Incredible...I don't understand how the game could sound that appealing, even to non-gamers...

Stratos

Stratos said:

@konkerdoodle
I noticed that too. What a surprise for Pong Toss.

On another note, I had to finally do my first true fridge clean to get it. I'm very frustrated over it because I axed Lostwinds.

I've spent about 2 1/2 hours or so on the game and haven't beaten it yet so it seems to at least be Lostwinds length. Mostly fans of the site will enjoy it but point-and-click game fans or developer fans will probably enjoy it as well.

breaderer

breaderer said:

just beat it and I have to say that it was well worth the money

this and Toki Tori are now my 2 favorite wiiware games

Wii_Ownz_All

Wii_Ownz_All said:

Glad it's out and done with. Not worth my $10. Anyone know when Tetris should be out around? That's the only WW game I can think of that I'm going to buy. As for VC, I'm all out for SMRPG. Anything else, nope. I hate VC/WW and how games are released. For the kind of gamer I am, it's just not for me.

aaronjayhead

aaronjayhead said:

I just checked on the Wii Shop Channel and in just 13 hours of being available for download, Strong Bad is already the third most popular WiiWare game, behind Pong Toss and MPR.

Virus

Virus said:

^Now that is amazing for a website game! I'm crying tears of joy...

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

As a European.... wont be able to get it until Friday, but loving the PC demo until them. Just what I expected from the guys who made the Sam n Max episodic point and click games. A question to those that have the wii version - how well does Snake Boxer play using the wiimote instead of the Keyboard? Do you just use it NES style?

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

@ lockelocke Telltale games is made up from the guys from Lucasarts so in a way yes it is like Kings Quest gameplay. But if you remeber Monkey Island, Zak McKracken and Day of the Tenticle it is much more along those lines.
Anyone not sure if they want to spend 1000 points on this game, I recommend they try out the demo for free from the Telltale games website... or here at this link -

jessy

jessy said:

I checked out the PC demo & found the "story" funny & entertaining but got quite tired of the point & click, never figuring out how to get to the snake boxing etc. I think I'd pay the money if it didn't take so much block space. So maybe I'll be waiting forever for the disc or add'tl storage option or going w/the PC version.

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

I downloaded SBCG4AP and played it last night. Very worth the money! Funny and very true to the characters. If you like the Internet cartoons or website, you'll really get a kick out of SBCG4AP.

@ lockelocke: Yes this is King's Quest-style gameplay. I think. I could be forgetting something important as I haven't played King's/Police Quest games in a long time. It's great to see the style of game return to prominence...

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Just got an e-mail from telltale that says the game is out here on Friday (YES!). Here's what they said: Interested parties can buy the PC version from the Telltale Store, or acquire the Wii version from the Wii Shop Channel. The PC version of Homestar Ruiner sells for $8.95 or $34.95 as part of the five-episode season pass, and is available to customers worldwide. The Wii version sells for 1000 Wii points and is available in North and South America today, with releases in other territories coming this Friday.

@LAA: the game takes up 319 blocks on the Wii memory (ouch!)

Draygone

Draygone said:

"never figuring out how to get to the snake boxing etc."

Head down the stairs from the game start and just head to the room all the way to the left. The game console is sitting right out in the open in Strong Bad's room. :P

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

Just a heads up for those that can't wait until tomorrow, Strong Bad is No. 1 in the WiiWare Popular Lists in NA. It gives us gamers and WiiWare developers hope that if you put out a great game, people will buy unlike Pong Toss' philosophy.

As soon as I get better acquainted with Homestar Runner, I'll be downloading this for sure. =)

konkerdoodle

konkerdoodle said:

Strong Bad is number 1? Yes!! Victory! MUCH more deserving than Pong Toss...It seems the fans of Homestar Runner are a strong bunch...

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

@Raptor78
Thanks! Monkey Island, now that was a kick ass game. I loved all the Sierra stuff that I got a chance to play, used to have the super old King's Quests and Space Quests on my Apple 2. Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I can't run the Strongbad setup EXE, cause I'm still running a Mac 15 years later, lol.