Top 20 WiiWare Games in America (13th August)

Posted by Darren Calvert

It’s Wednesday again, time to look at what the most popular games are in the Wii Shop. To check for yourself simply log on to your Wii Shop channel, go into the WiiWare section and then view “Popular Games”.

We are checking the list for the American region, so if you live elsewhere your list will probably be a lot different. Feel free to post your findings below as always.

Here is the list for 13th August:

16 (15) - Block Breaker Deluxe
17 (14) - Major League Eating: The Game
18 (17) - Magnetica Twist
19 (18) - Pop
20 (19) - Toki Tori

N denotes a new entry

Amazing scenes this week as Strong Bad steals first place in the charts, this is unprecedented in the first week of game sales. Heck it only came out 2 days ago. Finally something to topple the reign of the lacklustre Pokemon Ranch!

Pong Toss surprisingly holds firm in 2nd place for another week. We’re saying nothing! Another surprise was Wild West Guns sneaking past the mighty Dr Mario this week too. It’s a game worth checking out so it’s good to see it get the recognition it deserves and not just fade away into obscurity after one week.

The rest of the chart is pretty predictable as usual. The painfully average Protöthea goes into the pit of Hades this week, please do yourself a favour and buy Toki Tori this week if you haven’t already, this is a game which certainly doesn’t deserve to be so low in the charts.

As always, have your say on this week’s findings below.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

This is the strangest list EVER.

Strongbad so high so soon?
Pokemon Ranch ACTUALLY falling?
DYC losing ground?
Wild West Guns rising so fast?
FRICKIN' PONG TOSS AT NUMBER 2!!!!

Though while I'm okay with Stronbad, and Wild West, it's so strange. This week is like Mario being in GTAV.

It's a sign of Ragnarock.

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

Great to see Strong Bad up there at the number 1 spot after two days from it's debut. Quality still is an important factor in a video game and not "shovelware" of a popular sport or brand.

Good to see Wild West Guns on the Top 5. It's an original (not ported from a mobile phone) game from Gameloft and it's good.

And while I played it, I haven't bought Toki Tori yet. A problem I hope I will remedy this week. It'll be sad to see it go from the lists. =(

hansolo350

hansolo350 said:

I'm surprised this list is different than the one here in Canada. On the Canadian list Pong Toss is much lower.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Pong Toss still # 2 Whatever. When Mega Man 9 arrives you might as well pack your bags and leave the top 20

konkerdoodle

konkerdoodle said:

This is pretty great. Good to see some new games at the top of the list, especially Strong Bad. I'm glad to see Wild West Guns up there too.

pdrydia

pdrydia said:

@worrybomb
I'm pretty sure StrongBad is up at number 1 due to something similar to "brand recognition"--the same thing that's boosting Pokemon, Dr. Mario, and Final FFCC.

lucario13

lucario13 said:

Poor toki tori so much better than pong toss and pokemon ranch. At least strong bad is 1st

Master_K

Master_K said:

Finally the mediocre "My Pokémon Ranch" has been defeated. Everyone rejoice! :)

hansolo350

hansolo350 said:

I'm sure there's plenty drunken Canadian students. Anyway I just got the list.

1.Strong Bad
18. Major League Eating
19. Toki Tori
20. Pop

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

@hansolo
Sure. They might drink high-class vadka but people here get beer so they're more people to buy pong toss :P

Nice to see Toki Tori not dead last in your list.

The only way Ragnarock can be reversed is with mega Man 9.

kirbycc

kirbycc said:

Very happy to see SBCG4AP up at first. As for the person who mentioned brand recognition as the reason why, Homestarrunner.com may be popular but is in no way a household name like Pokemon or Final Fantasy.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I pleasantly surprised that Strongbad made #1 so soon. I won't say anything about the others, except it's also nice to see Toki Tori hasn't dropped off the map yet. Puzzle games that don't have to do with falling blocks usually don't get very popular, so I'm not too surprised to see it where it is.

Personally I think it's the name that's selling the game. I mean, I'd imagine people just look at the title and say "that game was made for me!".

hansolo350

hansolo350 said:

@Bahamut ZERO
Trust me when I say that Canadian beer is a lot stronger than the watered down crap they sell in America. I would also point out that the only thing a Canadian likes just as much as hockey, is beer.

On topic, it's sad to see that Pop and Toki Tori will be next off the lists.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Impossible that this is an "all-time" "popular downloads" list. We don't know the rules they use, obviously.

Still, very interesting to see what's being downloaded recently.

TokiToku

TokiToku said:

Magnetica Twist should be WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY higher.

im surprised that strong bad is up so high. its not as well known as pokemon and its possible to pirate wiiware games.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

While I'm cheering for MPR finally getting dethroned and WWG making it high up on the charts, the rocket launch of Strong Bad does have me a bit concerned. It's not that Strong Bad is a bad game, but I fear that it shot to the top based on name branding rather than actual merit.

One could say, "but wiirocks, Strong Bad was a highly anticipated game!" And I'd agree with you. Except that many other WiiWare titles have been highly anticipated yet never reached a very high standing. The fact that Strong Bad did reach a high standing and the other games didn't tells me one thing:

The majority of WiiWare buyers shop on impulse rather than information.

Since buyers are uninformed, you can shove them a frozen turkey sandwich and they'll buy it as long as it's in the shape of Maddox, the resident internet jester. Meanwhile, games that are solidly built, original, and ready to launch a new genre will be ignored by the average WiiWare consumer.

The one ray of hope is DYC. Not to keep harping on the issue, but DYC did prove that the only thing WiiWare shoppers like more than a brand name is a good deal. (Real or perceived.) So anyone who wants to succeed in this space without a brand name needs to drop prices FAST. And yes, that even means beloved games like Toki Tori. :(

On another note, I did just help edit a review for Strong Bad. If you're itching for a review and just can't wait for WiiWare World's, then go check it out. It can't compare to the wonderful penmanship of the WiiWare World editors, but it does cover the subject reasonably well.

(And yes, that is a direct compliment to you WW folks. Your mastery of the written word is one of the highlights that makes this site so enjoyable. :))

alxtlvra

alxtlvra said:

Well done Strong Bad kicks Pong Toss off ! (although PT never got 1st in Mexico)

Yasume

Yasume said:

When Mega Man 9 comes out it will also hit the first place as a newcomer and will stay there for months. It's even more hyped than Strong Bad.

Naturestee

Naturestee said:

Woot! Go Strong Bad! Even with it being on sale for PC at the same time it still rocketed up! I think both the niche brand name and anticipation helped, plus Telltale has a bit of a following because of Sam & Max. Proof that marketing can help WiiWare.

Still can't believe Pong Toss is so high, but I tend to disagree with most of my fellow Americans in taste anyway. At least Wild West Guns is doing well. See, you don't need a brand name to sell on WiiWare! I understand why Toki Tori is so low (despite my love for it) because frankly it doesn't look like much at first glance- you have to read reviews to get interested in it. At least I did.

Terra

Terra said:

Still no review. Hooray for Strong Bad already hitting No.1 on the charts and dislodging Pokemon Ranch. Can't believe that Pong Toss is still N0.2 and that Wild West Guns is in 4th. Dr Mario getting pushed down was something i didn't expect

fco

fco said:

Woha! Pokemon descends not one but two steps in the ranks. Bad for Pong Toss, but good for Strong Bad. I guess there was a lot of expectation for this game from Homestarrunner fans. Let's hope it remains high in the following weeks.

Also, what happened with Toki Tori? didn't they notice that I bought it this week?

hansolo350

hansolo350 said:

@Naturestee
I believe the reason why Toki Tori is so low is because these are weekly sales list and most of the people who wanted Toki Tori have already bought it.

Final_Starman

Final_Starman said:

Yes! Strong Bad and his yellow dog beat the crap out of that yellow mouse! Wait, Toki Tori at the bottom? Noooooooooooo!!!!

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

@hansolo350
Weekly is unlikely. The list updates instantly. The question is, how far back do they count sales? That might be a week... How many it's sold within the last 7 days... possible, but I'd think a little longer than that. Again, we clearly don't know how this list works, all we can say it that it shows what's popular "right now".

ChocoDK

ChocoDK said:

Wow I can't believe what I am seeing. Pokemon Ranch was knocked down from #1 but not just #1 it is now in #3. Well finally something mustered up enough to knock down Pokemon Ranch. But I still can't believe that Pong Toss is at #2. I still have yet to buy a Wiiware game yet. Waiting for Mega Man 9 to come next month.

aaronjayhead

aaronjayhead said:

If you guys think that Mega Man 9 will shoot up as fast as Strong Bad Episode 1, just wait until the other 4 Strong Bad episodes come out. They are probably going to shoot up as fast or faster than Episode 1.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Save Toki Tori .
Save Toki Tori .
Hes so cute .
Well last week i bought that game leaving 3100 points left in my account & emptying my Wii menu even more .
Still its wortyh a download as i loved that game & i even got a Toko Tori wallpaper for my pda .

Ark

Ark said:

Well that's quite shocking. o_O Glad to see that Strong Bad is doing so well.

Also, are there any plans to cover the European top 20? It would be nice to see 'em both...

BiggerJ

BiggerJ said:

Here's the rankings for Australia.

1 - Defend Your Castle
11 - Toki Tori
12 - Star Soldier R
13 - Block Breaker Deluxe
14 - Actionloop Twist

Virus

Virus said:

I'm more than pleased with this list, more specifically with Strong Bad's success. For those who are worried about people buying games because of name brands, I wouldn't worry too much. Strong Bad and Telltale are popular but not household names...well, at least probably not your guys'. :P

I think we're seeing more shift in the list because games like MPR and Dr. Mario are finally losing their luster. Unlike the VC's top 20 list, I don't think one game will dominate forever. I believe we're going to have quite a lot of movement as the weeks carry on. Hope so at least.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Finally, a game I can be proud of at the top.

...I miss Star Soldier R...

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Again, the way the list works has "changed". We either hit the upper limit of how far back they count sales, people found out re-downloads count and are abusing it, or Nintendo decided to change how it's tabulated to prevent Pokemon from reigning forever.

Chipmunk777

Chipmunk777 said:

You know, I'm really not surprised by these lists anymore. Although I am happy that Strong Bad is #1, it is an excellent game.

I just don't care about the top 20 anymore. Continue to buy games like Pong Toss and My Pokemon Ranch, America. I'll continue to enjoy great games like Toki Tori and Star Soldier R. Although it is a shame that Toki Tori never got support from the American market, it really is a brilliant game. I was hoping for a sequel :(

Bensei

Bensei said:

I guess the re-downloading are saving a lot of the bad games. I looked into the Nintendo Channel (which has additional information now in Europe :) ) and every game had at least the circle Diagrams... except for SPOGS and Pirates. I don't understand the later, but it shows that SPOGS players either don't use Nintendo Channel or that there weren't enough who could play it more than 59 minutes

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Um Bensei, people who cram their Wii with downloaded games currently don't have any space available for the Nintendo Channel, and probably won't until they release a storage option for Wii. So those who stuff their Wiis are unfairly not represented as well in the stats, because they delete the unessentials first.

Aardvark_Soup

Aardvark_Soup said:

That Strong Bad would be number one could be expected, but Pong Toss on second and Toki Tori last? I'm never going to look at these lists again, it might cause me to die of a heart attack...

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Again, this list does not mean that Pong Toss has outsold Toki Tori. Just that Pong Toss has been downloaded more than Toki Tori over the last few days/weeks/month. Which is 100% believable, but in NO WAY shows how successful a title is/was. All this list shows is what's being downloaded "right now", so of course older titles will fall off the list.

Stratos

Stratos said:

@thewiirocks
You have pointed out the very reason why we are forced to be in the dark in USA about releases for VC and WW. Nintendo has realized that Wii consumers impulse buy. That is why we get limited titles per week instead of a dozen or so.
I have a sneaking suspicion that more casual players are online with Wii than people think. And I personally have seen several people who fit the casual demographic playing VC/WW titles at their house back when I delivered pizzas. WW is being geared in part to appeal to the Pop Cap/internet browser game audience.
Nintendo just needs to realize that this demographic is having storage issues as well because a small storage space is not conducive to impulse buys.

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

@stratos: I agree except for the pizza delivery part.

It's great to see that SBCG4AP was initially so well received. Let's hope it continues throughout the series!

Stratos

Stratos said:

Ian Daemon,
Do you mean you do not believe that more casual gamers are online than people think or do you disagree with the WW is being geared towards the Pop Cap/Internet browser audience?
Or were you just knocking my old job? ;)

MrPoo6321

MrPoo6321 said:

It's really weird that Pong Toss is #2... I guess there is a reason for shovelware after all: it sells for some inexplicably crazy reason.