Mega Man 9 Official Box Art

Posted by Darren Calvert

Jeremy Parish from 1up really is the coolest kid on the block today as he walks the streets looking retrotastic in the Mega Man 9 t-shirt he blagged off a Capcom rep at E3 for completing both stages on the Mega Man 9 demo.

Sporting phrases like "ultrasound graphics synthesis" and "8-bit fidelity engine" you can tell straightaway that this creation has its tongue firmly in its cheek! Compared to the original Mega Man and Mega Man 2 box art by Capcom USA at least this is an evolution in art style.

This artwork has got it all, a badly airbrushed Mega Man, a cyborg Dr. Wily and even the classic early NES grid background.

We’re nice guys here at WiiWare World so we cleaned up the photo of the T-Shirt a bit for you to marvel at in all its retro kitsch glory. BEHOLD!

Untitled

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

i wonder how many kids will be saying it looks crap and nothing like how mega man should look. this is quite a fun thing capcom has done, just copying the Japanese style (which has become the one and only art style since Megaman 3 in the U.S.) wouldn't have had the same impact I reckon. It looks even more like a genuine NES game from the late eighties because of this artwork. Its not actually real box-art. Its just what it would have been if it had a proper box. it will probably be used as marketing artwork for the game. and who doesn't remember a time when box artwork looked nothing like the actual game? as a kid, i was put off getting games which looked too mature on the packaging artwork.

Omega

Omega said:

LOL. Looks as if the people at Capcom are taking it with a pinch of salt. I like that.

Link79

Link79 said:

I don't know what's worse. This or the box art for Mega man 1 or 2. I guess it is kinda funny since they are poking fun at those earlier games by doing this. Box art for video games in the 80's was hillarious. I still don't see how a downloadable game is going to have a box to put art on though.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

It'll be fake box art. There won't ever be a box for this artwork to go on but if it did, this would have been the artwork used. Don't take things so literally.

Link79

Link79 said:

I wouldn't mind having a shirt with that on it. It would freak people out. They'd be like... What the hell? Anyway I can't wait to get my hands on this game! I never imagined they would go back to 8-bit after all these years. If only more Wii ware games had this much effort put into them.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I don't even think this game is 8-bits, its just designed to look like the old Megaman games but obviously it would be more powerful than 8-bits.

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

XD

This is win. I can't believe they'd make something as awesome as this. Capcom have just earned 1000 more Wii Points.

Charco

Charco said:

"Why must they still make the box art look like the cheesy NES ones?"

eh.....because it's funny?..................

dr_mario

dr_mario said:

Obviously the box art won't look great compared to today's standards but I think they did a great job making it look like the classic box art from the 80s giving it a completely 100% retro feel. Also many people are asking where they are going to put the box art, it will probably be in the title screen after you launch the game from the wii menu and before you click start.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Is this just a T-shirt or is it seriously the Box Art for the game. I mean it's cool and everything, and if it's a t-shirt, I want it, but I don't think the'll win over any new fans with that boxart(though the difficulty and retro graphics might do that).

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

the megaman design still looks better than the megaman 1 u.s. american box art and the european megaman 2 box art

CopyofCopyX

CopyofCopyX said:

This is great:
Dr. Light telling Megaman, that he didn't do this in a while,
the Secret of Wily's bank number,
and finally the return of the awful covers of the 8Bit era.

Dokenzz

Dokenzz said:

It looks as if Capcoms taking the "It's so bad, it's good" route. I love it.

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

Ah the 80's.....a simpler time of simpler pleasures......playing with power......8-bit graphics........horrible box art........

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

If this was on a t-shirt, I would so buy it. Though it doesn't beat the first game's or the second's European box art, this guy still has the right idea. I love how he made Mega Man's cannon shoot slime! XD

classic.

Roboto

Roboto said:

i want one shirt too or a poster hehehe
i never like the human megaman on the US (cus i was super fan of the anime style) but i like the retro style and this human megaman its cool

Lugia2

Lugia2 said:

Well, at least I could replicate that pose.

Unlike in, say, MM1. Great idea!

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Oh man. The nostalgia. Feels like someone kicked the Flux Capacitor into overdrive! Now where's my shell-suit and Reeboks?

ChocoDK

ChocoDK said:

Doesn't Mega Man here look kind of Japanese? Not that its a bad thing but it looks nothing like Mega Man. However, it does a good job at doing NES box art.